• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Trump Be Impeached?

Should Trump be Impeached like John Dean says?

• No, committing felonies shouldn't be an impeachable offense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
IF Cohen's charges are true, then yes, Trump should be impeached. I didn't vote because there isn't any evidence available to cause me to think he should be impeached. Maybe Mueller will provide more facts when he's done with his investigation and presents it to Congress.

If Cohen's statements were true then he would not have been charged with multiple counts of lying to federal investigators. ;)

Quite accurate. It would take a two-thirds majority vote of the senate.

Since the Republicans control the Senate it will not happen.

Even by some crazy event he was to be impeached it would only mean his lapdog Pence would move in.
It would all be a waste of time and energy.

There is a possibility Pence could get caught up in all this as well. It’s hard to imagine that he, as a running mate, was completely ignorant of how the campaign was being run.

That’s why it’s premature to discuss these things right now. Just need to wait until more information becomes available.

Could he be now ? Between obstruction and campaign finance, yes. These were both felonies, a premeditated and repeated offense done to help him gain, and stay, in power. No one is above the law.

Do I think now is the time? Maybe not, because of the ongoing criminal investigation. Waiting until that is done, and it seems like it isn’t too far off, may be the best course. Who know who else is implicated? What if they have additional crimes that are well documented to add that give Senate a greater chance to agree to remove Trump? It will weaken impeachment if they wait a while, and it turns ou trump is only implicated in instruction and campaign finance though. Given that Cohen is evidenced to be a greedy, ambitious felon who hid his behavior, for years, and that Trump hired him as his VP and personal counsel for a decade, leads me to believe Mueller will definitely find more on Trump. Birds of a feather.

If Cohen's statements were true then he would not have been charged with multiple counts of lying to federal investigators. ;)

Time will tell. Heck, maybe it has nothing to do with Trump. He's rather clueless in his old age. It could be just Junior and Jared.

If trump is guilty of impeachable offences, I want him impeached. If he isn't, then I don't.

Bad poll is bad.

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...n-on-cohen-filing-congress-will-have-to-start

Based on today's news, in which Michael Cohen implicated Trump in felony charges (campaign finance law violations), do you agree with Nixon's Counsel that Trump should be impeached?

As of now, nothing has been proven that Trump has committed a felony or any crime that would warrant impeachment. Impeachment talk to me seems more like a partisan political vendetta that began the day after Trump was elected by the Democrats. Sour grapes for losing an election. Sure, Trump is easy to dislike, I don't care for him one bit. But disliking or even hating a president is not grounds for impeachment. How one feels about Trump is a very partisan thing. Democrats hate him and want him removed, Republicans love him and want him to stay. So how do independents, the less to non-partisans feel, those who don't affiliate with either major party? Here's how they view Mueller's investigation. Question 21. Witch hunt or legitimate investigation
Do you think the FBI investigation of President Trump is a witch hunt or a legitimate investigation?

39% of independents view his investigation as legit, 36% as a witch hunt. Fairly evenly split.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/yoolhxrark/econTabReport.pdf

For impeachment to work, a good majority of all Americans must be for it, not just Democrats who set out to destroy Trump the day after the election.

Since it's known that Individual-1 directed Cohen to pay off a woman to silence her he is as guilty as Cohen.

Since it's known that Individual-1 directed Cohen to pay off a woman to silence her he is as guilty as Cohen.

Guilty of what? NDAs are not illegal and there is no limit on what a candiate may spend on their own campaign.

If Trump committed the crime and is proven in court, by all means impeach him.

I don't think he will be impeached. But, I think we're approaching the point where his miss-administration will no longer be able to govern. As more and more criminal behavior, that took place before he ran, while he was running and during his presidency, is revealed he will choose to resign.

Why won't he be able to govern?

Will he be unable to sign...or veto...bills that Congress sends him?

Will he be unable to enact Executive Orders?

Will he be unable to choose the people he wants for his Cabinet?

Will he be unable to negotiate treaties?

Tell me...exactly WHAT will he be unable to do when we get to this mythical point you speak of that he is able to do right now?

Allegations. Not felonies.

John Dean? iLOL Hilarious.

He wants the President impeached over an unsupported allegation.
1. That's lame.
2. Wouldn't get by the Senate.

Not only that, but it would be a BIG political mistake for the Dem House to try to impeach Trump.

Not only that, but it would be a BIG political mistake for the Dem House to try to impeach Trump.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't clue them in ... though I doubt they would listen even if you did.

This country can withstand his stink for another two years and in that period of time he'll be getting very little sleep and have zero allies left. Who does he have even now as allies? Stephen Miller and Sean Hannity are just about the only two die-hard enablers left because they have something to gain by it.

I can be very patient and would prefer any actions get put off until after 2020 when he'll be voted out and will be indicted for conspiracy, collusion, money laundering and other things that will put him in a world of hurt and a lifetime prison sentence.

Allegations. Not felonies..

That's what you impeach based on, evidenced allegations of criminal conduct.
What did you think the grounds for impeachment were?

This country can withstand his stink for another two years and in that period of time he'll be getting very little sleep and have zero allies left. Who does he have even now as allies? Stephen Miller and Sean Hannity are just about the only two die-hard enablers left because they have something to gain by it.

I can be very patient and would prefer any actions get put off until after 2020 when he'll be voted out and will be indicted for conspiracy, collusion, money laundering and other things that will put him in a world of hurt and a lifetime prison sentence.

Statute of limitation will likely run out, how's that gonna work? If he wins a 2nd term, they definitely run out.
They could seal an indictment now, and then unseal it out of office (statute is checked at time of indictment), but DOJ policy is no indictment of a sitting president, sealed or otherwise as far as I know.
If resigned or impeached out, Pence can pardon, and will claim like in the Nixon case it's for the good of the nation, blah, blah.
Impeachment is one of the only effective ways to hold a president to at least some account for criminal behavior. They are nearly immune from DOJ action otherwise

That's what you impeach based on, evidenced allegations of criminal conduct.
What did you think the grounds for impeachment were?
:doh
I addressed a specific point from the other person.
There were no felonies by the President.
Just because Cohen pleads to certain activity and alleges Trump's involvement does not mean Trump did anything wrong.
Do you really not understand that?
The Senate is going to laugh if the House tries to impeach over this noncriminal activity.

There will be no impeachment based on an allegation from

Wasn't the 2008 Obama campaign also found to have violated campaign finance laws? While the ($280K?) hush money may (or may not) have been a campaign related expense it is less than the FEC fine amount ($375K?) alone levied on the Obama/DNC for ($1.8M?) such alleged FEC reporting violations during the 2008 Obama POTUS campaign.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/obama-2008-campaign-fined-375000-085784

As far as I know, there is no limit on what a candidate may contribute to (or spend on) their own campaign - what, exactly, is the alleged impeachable offense? BTW, your poll choices truly suck.

At this time, witness tampering and attempted obstruction.

However, Trump will not be impeached no matter what Mueller finds. The GOP is to craven at this point. Personally, I don't want him impeached because Pence is worse. Trump is dangerous and totally incompetent, but we've got to live with that for a couple more years. :(

Statute of limitation will likely run out, how's that gonna work? If he wins a 2nd term, they definitely run out.
They could seal an indictment now, and then unseal it out of office (statute is checked at time of indictment), but DOJ policy is no indictment of a sitting president, sealed or otherwise as far as I know.
If resigned or impeached out, Pence can pardon, and will claim like in the Nixon case it's for the good of the nation, blah, blah.
Impeachment is one of the only effective ways to hold a president to at least some account for criminal behavior. They are nearly immune from DOJ action otherwise

That is a huge hole the founders didn't think hard enough about. No one should be above the law.

If anyone indicts Trump now, it will be years in the courts going nowhere, and in the meantime he sits in the Oval Office just the same doing all his bad stuff. If lawyers wait until he's no longer president (no he's not winning a 2nd term) they can indict him without the hullabaloo of being stalled in the courts as to whether a sitting president can be indicted or not. It will go to the Supreme Court and we all know how that would end with this conservative SC justices.

Impeachment is not a criminal process; you cannot be sent to jail because you were impeached. So for Congress to bother going through the lengthy and contentious impeachment process instead of simply getting out of the way while the former president in question is prosecuted in criminal court would seem… well, like a waste of everyone’s time.

Last edited:
Horrible selections on the poll there. Not voting.

Well, do you think Trump will be impeached? Do you want Trump to be impeached? Yes or no and why or why not?

I'm not going to vote in the poll because I don't feel any of the options are appropriate.

No, I certainly do not want Trump impeached at this time. As I have said before, in my lifetime I've seen impeachment used as a political harassment tool, which left a stain on our democracy I don't want to see repeated.

Once Mueller's investigation is complete and can be studied by congress and, hopefully, the public, I believe there will likely be several legitimate "high crimes and misdemeanors" for which articles of impeachment could be appropriately drafted, or for which he could be indicted after leaving office. Then and only then will I render a personal opinion on the topic of this poll.

You're contradicting yourself.

I’ll let you know once the Mueller releases his report, assuming we are allowed to see it.

Back
Top Bottom