• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Tobacco be banned?

Should Tobacco be banned?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • No -- but tobacco should be restricted.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • No -- but tobacco products should be made much more expensive by taxes.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No -- kepp current situation.

Votes: 64 66.7%

• Total voters

SCitizen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Tobacco products shorten the lives of 480,000 people a year in USA alone. On average a smoker loses 10 -- 15 years of life. About 264 billion cigarettes and 12.4 billion large cigars are sold yearly in USA.

Tobacco is illegal in Bhutan. In Russia, sale of tobacco was punished severely during the years 1550 -- 1700.

No. Cheeseburgers, fries and soda shorten the lives of people too, but I'm not for banning them either.

Tobacco products shorten the lives of 480,000 people a year in USA alone. On average a smoker loses 10 -- 15 years of life. About 264 billion cigarettes and 12.4 billion large cigars are sold yearly in USA.

Tobacco is illegal in Bhutan. In Russia, sale of tobacco was punished severely during the years 1550 -- 1700.

I hate cigarettes. I hate being around smokers. My dad smoked like a chimney.

But NO! :no:

I don't believe in banning vices. People will do it whether legal or not, if they feel the desire or need.

Millions of people of all ages still smoke today despite the knowledge it is bad, real bad for you...and I am speaking of in the USA.

Education, not banning, is the key to weaning people off things that are bad for them. But the choice should always remain with the individual.

I hate cigarettes. I hate being around smokers. My dad smoked like a chimney.

But NO! :no:

I don't believe in banning vices. People will do it whether legal or not, if they feel the desire or need.

Millions of people of all ages still smoke today despite the knowledge it is bad, real bad for you...and I am speaking of in the USA.

Education, not banning, is the key to weaning people off things that are bad for them. But the choice should always remain with the individual.
I could have written this.

I think people should be able to smoke anywhere they want, just not allowed to exhale.

With the way the anti-smoking people are using the slippery slope concept to continually chip away at everything smoking, with the ultimate goal of ending use entirely however it happens, sometimes I feel like we should just ban it already.

Before 1960s, many people in USA who had harmful habits were involuntarily committed to institutions.

No, I don't care what you choose to poison you body with. Just keep it away from me. I'm okay with banning smoking indoors in some places where second hand smoke significantly affects others.

But is destroying one's own life a right?

of course-as long as I don't have to pay for what you do to yourself. we need to roll back the nanny state We need to roll back crap like obamacare as well. and if you are a smoker and you get a smoking related disease, you pay for your health care-not me or someone else

of course-as long as I don't have to pay for what you do to yourself.

In Scandinavia, Wellfare is a right. In USA people who were a danger to themselves had been involuntarily committed.

In Scandinavia, Wellfare is a right. In USA people who were a danger to themselves had been involuntarily committed.

obviously the concept of rights in Scandinavia are different than what we see them as in a freer society. If someone has to pay for your "right" its not a right but a handout

Another way looking at this is if all those smokers stopped and lived 10-15 yrs more it would put more burden on social security.

Same with all the crap they sell at the grocery store.

That'll be the next basic right that liberals fight for- assisted suicide. Just the latest in the long list of freedoms that you enjoy that were fought for by liberals, against conservatives.

obviously the concept of rights in Scandinavia are different than what we see them as in a freer society. If someone has to pay for your "right" its not a right but a handout

Maybe Scandinavian society is much more humane.

Another way looking at this is if all those smokers stopped and lived 10-15 yrs more it would put more burden on social security.

Same with all the crap they sell at the grocery store.

My dad had a stroke, my mom had a stroke. They both smoked most of their lives. Any extra burden on SS will be more than offset in reduced medical costs. (medicare, medicaid). I don't support a ban but those who smoke sure need to pay their fair share of medical costs which ultimately means much higher insurance costs.

That'll be the next basic right that liberals fight for- assisted suicide. Just the latest in the long list of freedoms that you enjoy that were fought for by liberals, against conservatives.

"Freedoms" such as smoking are very close to assisted suicide. Life has value.

Maybe Scandinavian society is much more humane.

feel free to live there. I sort of like it here. Other than better quality table tennis leagues, I cannot think of a reason to move there.

"Freedoms" such as smoking are very close to assisted suicide. Life has value.

so you want to ban everything that is harmful? hang gliding, skateboarding, fast foods, sexual intercourse, playing soccer etc? both my parents died of smoking related ailments-I think its an incredibly stupid thing to do but I feel the same way about other things so I don't do them but I don't feel a need to tell you not to

feel free to live there. I sort of like it here. Other than better quality table tennis leagues, I cannot think of a reason to move there.

Scandinavia would not accept every American with disability who wanted to live there.

Back
Top Bottom