• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Tobacco be banned?

Should Tobacco be banned?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • No -- but tobacco should be restricted.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • No -- but tobacco products should be made much more expensive by taxes.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • No -- kepp current situation.

Votes: 64 66.7%

• Total voters
No. Cheeseburgers, fries and soda shorten the lives of people too, but I'm not for banning them either.

But unlike smoking, with overeating you do not risk the health of people sitting near you/children living in your house. Smoking does risk the health of people near you/your family.

Also, eating responsibly also allows occasional cheeseburgers/fries and soda's.

Like you I do not believe in banning but I do believe in raising the price so that young people are less likely to start smoking.

Most Americans are religious and believe suicide is a sin.

And? That doesn't mean it should be illegal to do whatever you want with your own body. And I don't think most Americans are religious at all.

But is destroying one's own life a right?

yes, but destroying/risking other people's lives is not a right. That is why I applaud smoking bans in the workplace, bars, restaurants, clubs, schools, etc. etc. etc. and if people had a sense of decency, they would not expose their children to their own filthy potentially deadly habits.

And? That doesn't mean it should be illegal to do whatever you want with your own body. And I don't think most Americans are religious at all.

About 80% of Americans claim to believe in Christianity which promises eternal suffering for suicide.

By the damage it does -- maybe.

Well, apparently it's not maybe at all to you since you want it banned. What about fast food? Chocolate? Ice cream? Soda? Those things can cause all sorts of harm to your body when you use them continually and they might end up killing you.

But unlike smoking, with overeating you do not risk the health of people sitting near you/children living in your house. Smoking does risk the health of people near you/your family.

Also, eating responsibly also allows occasional cheeseburgers/fries and soda's.

Like you I do not believe in banning but I do believe in raising the price so that young people are less likely to start smoking.

I don't know-do you know what damage seeing some walmart shopper-a 350 pound woman in stretch pants does to ones health?

yes, but destroying/risking other people's lives is not a right. That is why I applaud smoking bans in the workplace, bars, restaurants, clubs, schools, etc. etc. etc. and if people had a sense of decency, they would not expose their children to their own filthy potentially deadly habits.

Thanks.

Well, apparently it's not maybe at all to you since you want it banned. What about fast food? Chocolate? Ice cream? Soda? Those things can cause all sorts of harm to your body when you use them continually and they might end up killing you.

I do not think these items cause as much loss in personyears.

No - it helps keep social security from going broke as fast.

No - it helps keep social security from going broke as fast.

Most Americans believe life is precious. As Christians, they believe a suicide will suffer for eternity. As a Jew I believe they suffer for long but not forever.

I don't know-do you know what damage seeing some walmart shopper-a 350 pound woman in stretch pants does to ones health?

Is that someone forced to look at that woman? No, he has the right to look away. People who are forced to endure smoking in their place of work/home are invaded by the toxic and cancer risk of second hand smoke. Nor are children. My brother in law smokes (which is his choice) but he does not smoke in his car and never smokes in the house, he smokes outside so that his filthy habit does not endanger the health of his wife and children.

Is that someone forced to look at that woman? No, he has the right to look away. People who are forced to endure smoking in their place of work/home are invaded by the toxic and cancer risk of second hand smoke. Nor are children. My brother in law smokes (which is his choice) but he does not smoke in his car and never smokes in the house, he smokes outside so that his filthy habit does not endanger the health of his wife and children.

I have no argument with this point of yours

People who are forced to endure smoking in their place of work/home are invaded by the toxic and cancer risk of second hand smoke. Nor are children. My brother in law smokes (which is his choice) but he does not smoke in his car and never smokes in the house, he smokes outside so that his filthy habit does not endanger the health of his wife and children.

Definitely -- for instance giving methamphetamine to children would be child abuse.

Taken in moderation those things are not a risk to anybody and eating an ice cream in public, in the office/at home/close to other people does not endanger the health of those other people. Smoking not only causes all sorts of harm to your body when people use it continually, it is dangerous at all times, even when you are subjected to second hand smoke.

Smoking is addictive, it is a filthy habit and should be made so expensive that young people do not get lured into a life of having problems breathing, risking cancer and the odds on risk that you will have serious problems stopping with smoking. And yes, I am a former smoker and I am deliriously happy that I was lucky enough to kick the habit.

And no, I do not have a problem with someone else behaving in potentially fatal habits like smoking, just as long as you make sure you are the only one risking his/her health and that they do not risk victimize people who are subjected to their second hand smoke.

That'll be the next basic right that liberals fight for- assisted suicide. Just the latest in the long list of freedoms that you enjoy that were fought for by liberals, against conservatives.

uhhh banning smoking was something championed by liberals. its all agenda on what freedom issues people fight for. for instance .. liberals tend to not fight for gun rights. that's just one of the obvious ones.
isn't it liberals trying to ban sugary drinks in some places? isn't it liberals who want to reintroduce the 'fairness doctrine' in broadcasting? lets not pretend that todays liberal hasn't been all for restricted rights if they are in their agenda playbook.

of course-as long as I don't have to pay for what you do to yourself. we need to roll back the nanny state We need to roll back crap like obamacare as well. and if you are a smoker and you get a smoking related disease, you pay for your health care-not me or someone else

Hmmm. I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

I hate everything about tobacco. I'm the only one of a family of 8 that never smoked. I was too busy playing ball.

I think it is wise for a government to ban all smoking commercials especially when young teens are watching television.

Protecting people from smoke commercials, banning selling of cigarettes to people under 18, protecting people from second hand smoke and promoting quitting smoking is the duty of government but if people want to ignore the risks and still want to smoke than the government should respect their right to smoke (even though the government is still free to try and change their minds).

Tobacco products shorten the lives of 480,000 people a year in USA alone. On average a smoker loses 10 -- 15 years of life. About 264 billion cigarettes and 12.4 billion large cigars are sold yearly in USA.

Tobacco is illegal in Bhutan. In Russia, sale of tobacco was punished severely during the years 1550 -- 1700.

I love tobacco, but I won't use it anymore. I casually smoked cigarettes when drinking, socially smoked hookah, smoked cigars, and so on, but I know that eventually it equates to years off my life. I'm not particularly in shape, so I have chosen to not smoke any tobacco and eat a bit healthier now that I'm getting a bit older. I still drink often enough, however.

As far as banning, however, no. If you want more people to smoke, just ban it. That'll sure to cause the use of tobacco to skyrocket. Bhutan is also a backwaters, hyper-reactionary, hyper-Dharmic religious ****hole.

I do not think these items cause as much loss in personyears.

Are you sure? Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. Eating unhealthy foods for a long period of time causes all sorts of problems with your heart.

Back
Top Bottom