• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Title 42 be lifted?

Should Title 42 be lifted?

• Total voters

Unbeknownst

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Some information:

From the Wikipedia page: The program allows the US Border Patrol and US Customs to prohibit the entry of persons who potentially pose a health risk by being subject to previously-announced travel restrictions or because by unlawfully entering the country to bypass health-screening measures.[2][3] Its use was implementated under the Trump administration and has continued under the Biden administration to prohibit asylum seekers from lawfully petitioning for asylum in the United States.[4] Persons subject to the order are not held in congregate areas for processing and are instead immediately expelled to their country of last transit.

It does not apply for unaccompanied children.

Some news articles/reports:

Other - the requirements should not differ for entry to the US based on whether a foreign national arrives by aircraft or other means.

It should NOT be lifted, nor should it not be applied to unaccompanied children.
A request for asylum can be applied for in Mexico, and those requesting such should be put in queue in the order a request was made while any who enter illegally should be returned to where they entered from and enter into the queue properly. Those who reenter illegally a second time should be denied access to the queue for a predetermined amount of time, while a third illegal reentry should be cause to permanently be denied the ability to request asylum in the U.S. Perhaps a forth illegal entry should result in their being sent to where they originated from.

Close the border...

I'll say it again CLOSE THE DAMN BORDER to all the these illegal aliens from over 150 countries invading our southern border....and let the deportations begin!

Close the border...

I'll say it again CLOSE THE DAMN BORDER to all the these illegal aliens from over 150 countries invading our southern border....and let the deportations begin!
Deportations have been ongoing, they don't need to begin.

For the rest, stop letting your fear guide you.

It should NOT be lifted, nor should it not be applied to unaccompanied children.
A request for asylum can be applied for in Mexico, and those requesting such should be put in queue in the order a request was made while any who enter illegally should be returned to where they entered from and enter into the queue properly. Those who reenter illegally a second time should be denied access to the queue for a predetermined amount of time, while a third illegal reentry should be cause to permanently be denied the ability to request asylum in the U.S. Perhaps a forth illegal entry should result in their being sent to where they originated from.

There is no legal way to apply for asylum from outside of the United States..

Close the border...

Is the border open? Is someone who applies for asylum an illegal alien?

What if government were pass a law allowing employers to hire and pay undocumented aliens the Mexico minimum wage, or their country of origin minimum wage if less? That might at least reduce the number entering illegally for an economic reason.

What if government were pass a law allowing employers to hire and pay undocumented aliens the Mexico minimum wage, or their country of origin minimum wage if less? That might at least reduce the number entering illegally for an economic reason.

There is ALREADY a law against HIRING undocumented aliens...

Close the border...

And what will you do with the other 45 to 50 percent of illegals who come here legally but overstay their visas?

Trump and the GOP made sure to kill bills that would have authorized spending on recruitment, salary increases, updating equipment and training for agencies that would track these people down…and dot the same for the immigration courts so they could be faster with deportations…because they didn’t have spending for a wall.

Would you be willing to support legislation like that, even with no wall spending, to help with what you desire?

There is no legal way to apply for asylum from outside of the United States..
That's the first and easiest thing to correct.

Deportations have been ongoing, they don't need to begin.

For the rest, stop letting your fear guide you.
They are not deporting even a fraction of those coming across illegally...I mean mass deportations...round them up and send them home.....And finish the border wall (finally!)

They are not deporting even a fraction of those coming across illegally...I mean mass deportations...round them up and send them home.....And finish the border wall (finally!)
That isn't going to happen.

And if it did, it would cause more problems than it solved.

That isn't going to happen.

And if it did, it would cause more problems than it solved.

It sure isn't going to happen under the shit for brains, senile dumbass we have now!! But I doubt he or the Dems will make it through the next two election cycles....folks are fed-up

It sure isn't going to happen under the shit for brains, senile dumbass we have now!! But I doubt he or the Dems will make it through the next two election cycles....folks are fed-up
It isn't going to happen because damn near everyone in a position of power knows it's not the answer, and won't do it. And the new ones who show up thinking it is the solution quickly learn it isn't.

I think it will be lifted and boy will it ever make the news. We've had over 1 million illegal border crossings in the last 6 months, far surpassing any other time in history and far surpassing last year at this time. Lifting Title 42 will result in numbers people can't even begin to imagine.
The border is a big news maker in recent days. Just wait.

A border post on US SOIL.. Does the US maintain border posts on foreign soil?
Yes the border post is on U.S. soil, but further entry into the U.S. can be allowed or denied at such posts.
The appropriate way to apply, which IMO, should be the ONLY way would be to apply for a VISA at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and upon entry into the U.S. make the request. Any other method, also IMO, should be denied.
I legally live abroad, and by law I could be deported, for a set period of time up to permanently, for a number of different reasons, including inability to show I have adequate means of support for the period if stay I am applying for, or simply failing to show up at an immigration office depending on how many days past the date I was told I was required to appear. A law is not a law unless it is enforced.

Yes the border post is on U.S. soil, but further entry into the U.S. can be allowed or denied at such posts.
The appropriate way to apply, which IMO, should be the ONLY way would be to apply for a VISA at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and upon entry into the U.S. make the request. Any other method, also IMO, should be denied.
I legally live abroad, and by law I could be deported, for a set period of time up to permanently, for a number of different reasons, including inability to show I have adequate means of support for the period if stay I am applying for, or simply failing to show up at an immigration office depending on how many days past the date I was told I was required to appear. A law is not a law unless it is enforced.

There is a HUGE difference between applying for asylum and applying for a visa. Your ignorance of the difference not withstanding...

There is a HUGE difference between applying for asylum and applying for a visa. Your ignorance of the difference not withstanding...
Yes, there is, but entering the U.S. on a valid U.S. visa provides one the opportunity to legally within our laws to request asylum. Your ignorance and/or inability to understand what I said seems to be the only issue.

Yes, there is, but entering the U.S. on a valid U.S. visa provides one the opportunity to legally within our laws to request asylum. Your ignorance and/or inability to understand what I said seems to be the only issue.

The amount of ignorance about asylum law is really astounding.

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including analien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.

See anything in there about Visas?

Back
Top Bottom