• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should this teacher be fired?

Should this teacher be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No, if so give a reason

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
In case you haven't heard this guys comments heres a clip from an article on the subject, I've heard the tape this is what this guy actually said:

Some of the comments Bennish made to his captive class of students included that the US is the "single most violent nation on planet earth" and that it is a "quote unquote democracy."

Note: The "quote unquote" comment was, undoubtedly, meant to disparage and diminish the US as a democracy. Although, I doubt that Bennish is even remotely aware of the fact that the United States of America's governmental form is that of a "representative Republic."

Bennish went on to spew his "facts" that capitalism is "at odds with human rights," President Bush's January State of the Union address included "things that Adolph Hitler used to say" and Israel is a "Zionist state." He's not only anti-US, anti-President-Bush and a pro-Marxist proponent but, he also appears to be anti-Semitic. Bennish, however, claims to be a Rostofarian — one of the "Ganga (marijuana) is good for you" crowd. Bennish also questioned that Hamas is a terrorist group, when he responded to a statement by one of his students (also on the 20-minute tape) that Hamas is a terrorist group. Bennish asked the student: "Who is defining what is a terrorist?"

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/zieve/060302

I say that this scum bag has no place in the classroom what say you?

I don't claim that I have a totally informed opinion on this subject since I don't know anything about the circumstances and haven't heard the teacher's side of this story.

But from what is reported here, I agree with you, assuming the principal has already given this teacher a cease-and-desist warning. It'd be different if it was a college, but in high school the students are minors, are forced to take the class, and are forced to attend.

At issue here isn't his radical worldview; it's the fact that he insists on preaching it. That would be true even if his view was more "mainstream." I don't mind if a teacher makes the occasional reference to his political views during class, but if it's done constantly for no purpose other than to "convert" his students it needs to stop.

Yes he needs to be fired.

I heard a bit of audio from this - he shot down a perfectly good question from a student.
He wasn't talking like it was an opinion, he was talking as though your a pathetic moron if you do not accept it as reality.

Go to church if you want to preach.

I'm glad there was at least one student in the class that understood he has the capibility to think for himself.

Judge Andrew Napolitano says no and so do I. As much as you may not like his message it is protected by the Constitution....so far says the good judge. As long as he doesn't threaten anyone he's going to stay. Anyway the whole story is not really out there yet because the media thinks it's a "non-story", except FNC.

Anyone who doesn't understand that comparing things to Hitler is wrong and is going to get you in trouble is a fool, and should be fired

Inuyasha said:
Judge Andrew Napolitano says no and so do I. As much as you may not like his message it is protected by the Constitution....so far says the good judge. As long as he doesn't threaten anyone he's going to stay. Anyway the whole story is not really out there yet because the media thinks it's a "non-story", except FNC.

I have to disagree with Napolitano on this one:

The United States Supreme Court did not decide a significant case with respect to the First Amendment’s Free Speech Clause until 1919. In that unanimous decision, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes wrote: “The character of every act depends upon the circumstances in which it was done. . . . The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.” This case, Schenck v. United States, grew out of the federal government’s security concerns during World War I.

http://hnn.us/articles/8591.html

I think he should be fired for not teaching his class, what has this to do with what he is being paid to teach these students. I believe I heard he teaches Geography, not political science, so his rants, and or opinions mean little to the students, unless they pertain to the course in which he is supposed to be teaching.

I also didn't appreciate the tone he took with his students, an arrogent little pis ant if you ask me.:roll:

Inuyasha said:

Not while he's in the classroom being paid for his labor. He told flat out factual lies to his students, that alone should bring about his discharge let alone his anti-American propaganda. If he wants to spew that garbage then he can start his own school and see if he can attract students.

I love how this radical consevative near nazi website says he's anti-semitic, pro-hamas, and thus pro-marxist. Just blows my mind. Do they even know what Marx believed in? I hate these type of websites because they are a biased piece of crap. Destroying America's generations LOL. You'd think people would say war and pverty and world hunger would be ruining our next generation, but no. **** that. Cons don't care about that. It's one crackpot teacher that's ruining our next generation!

Che said:
I love how this radical consevative near nazi website says he's anti-semitic, pro-hamas, and thus pro-marxist. Just blows my mind. Do they even know what Marx believed in? I hate these type of websites because they are a biased piece of crap. Destroying America's generations LOL. You'd think people would say war and pverty and world hunger would be ruining our next generation, but no. **** that. Cons don't care about that. It's one crackpot teacher that's ruining our next generation!

It's not about the opinion of the author of that article I just used that to get the exact quotes of what this guy said. I heard him say it on the radio so those are not mis quotes. And conservatism is the antithesis to statist fascism, your ideology is much closer to that of Nazi's than my own.

Sure, fire him. This whole notion of tenure for teachers is stupid, anyway. The guy may have a guaranteed freedom to speak as he will....but only on his own time. When he's at work, he's on company time, and as a teacher, his flapping lips are the representatives of his employer. If the school board disagrees with the noises he makes, they should be free to let him go. It's their job, not his. He's only filling a spot. Any other qualified teacher can fill that position just as easily.

If he wants to get paid for making blatantly political comments, he should either run for political office or become a reporter for the New York Times.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
And conservatism is the antithesis to statist fascism...
Really? Wow, I must be operating under faulty definitions for either 'conservatism' or 'fascism', 'cuz that whole "typified by totalitarian attempts to impose state control over all aspects of life" (lifted from wikipedia.com) doesn't sound all that antithetical with dictating what type of sex you aren't allowed to have, or wiretapping without even a sembalance of oversight, or categorically denying parenthood to a particular class of citizens, or...need I go on?

Befuddled_Stoner said:
Really? Wow, I must be operating under faulty definitions for either 'conservatism' or 'fascism',

That's besause you're ignorant.

'cuz that whole "typified by totalitarian attempts to impose state control over all aspects of life"

Yes liberals love the state, they think the state is the end all and be all and the cure to all mans troubles.

(lifted from wikipedia.com) doesn't sound all that antithetical with dictating what type of sex you aren't allowed to have,

No conservative has proposed anything like that, some are opposed to gay marriage but that is a far different thing than outlawing homosexuality.

or wiretapping without even a sembalance of oversight,

Ya first off we're at war skippy during which the president is granted broader Constitutional authority, secondly are you saying that FDR, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton were fascists?
or categorically denying parenthood to a particular class of citizens, or...need I go on?

That's something you just made up. Please do go on, and next time won't you try using a little thing called facts to back up your ill informed opinions the truthiness isn't going to fly with me.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
In case you haven't heard this guys comments heres a clip from an article on the subject, I've heard the tape this is what this guy actually said:

I say that this scum bag has no place in the classroom what say you?

He should be fired.Classrooms should be politically neutral in otherwords they should keep their mouths shut about politics while teaching.We the tax payers do not pay these teachers to brainwash our kids with anti-aemrica filth.If he wants to be a anti-american rat liberal he can do so on his free time with out anyone's knowledge,in otherwords while he is working for us the tax payers to teach our kids he should keep his personal political views in the closet.

Yes!!! It is not just because of what he said, but what his job is teaching Geography, not political sicence. If somebody in the private secture did not do their job they loose theirs. I have listened to the recording and to the person who recorded it. From what the student said he did this often, so it was not a one time thing. If it was one time thing I would go along with suspension. I understand the students do not want him fired. These are 15 year old students, who are still learning about life's lessons. This is also an oppurtunity for the students to get a lesson in life, while I would here them out, I would still fire him. It would teach them that you will be held accountable for your actions and suffer for it. Besides the students do not run the school and that also something they need to learn.

MAURER8 said:
Yes!!! It is not just because of what he said, but what his job is teaching Geography, not political sicence. If somebody in the private secture did not do their job they loose theirs. I have listened to the recording and to the person who recorded it. From what the student said he did this often, so it was not a one time thing. If it was one time thing I would go along with suspension. I understand the students do not want him fired. These are 15 year old students, who are still learning about life's lessons. This is also an oppurtunity for the students to get a lesson in life, while I would here them out, I would still fire him. It would teach them that you will be held accountable for your actions and suffer for it. Besides the students do not run the school and that also something they need to learn.

Exactly, I could not have said it better.............Welcome to the forum my friend...We can always use another Conservative......Looking forward to your input..........

The question I might pose to all here is whether your answer would be the same were your own ideology involved? Say, the teacher was advancing political notions consistant with those radio talk shows you like? All you folks who like to use those terms "you liberals" with the frequency you do -- what if he were talking like Mr. Savage or Ms. Coulter? Would you be up in arms then? For those who think his indoctrination is okey dokey because you happen to agree with it, same question.

As for me, I think the fellow has no business teaching kids if he cannot separate his political opinions from his teaching of geography. Since my answer is based upon consistant principles, I think his actual point of view is less relevant than the fact that he is indulging in the indoctrination. I have found that it is usually the extremists who indulge in this sort of behavior, but whether one is extreme left like this fellow or extreme right like Savage or Coulter, the stuff does not belong in a classroom devoted to the teaching of geography.

Gardener said:
The question I might pose to all here is whether your answer would be the same were your own ideology involved? Say, the teacher was advancing political notions consistant with those radio talk shows you like? All you folks who like to use those terms "you liberals" with the frequency you do -- what if he were talking like Mr. Savage or Ms. Coulter? Would you be up in arms then? For those who think his indoctrination is okey dokey because you happen to agree with it, same question.

As for me, I think the fellow has no business teaching kids if he cannot separate his political opinions from his teaching of geography. Since my answer is based upon consistant principles, I think his actual point of view is less relevant than the fact that he is indulging in the indoctrination. I have found that it is usually the extremists who indulge in this sort of behavior, but whether one is extreme left like this fellow or extreme right like Savage or Coulter, the stuff does not belong in a classroom devoted to the teaching of geography.

If a teacher started ranting about liberal treason in the middle of the classroom like Coulter then you bet your as$ I would have a problem with it. It's not that this guy is a liberal that's not the problem, because if he had been talking about politics in a normal way and backing his opinions with historical fact that's fine I would have no problem with it, but this guy is a freaking loon and the stuff he was teaching was bold faced lies and revisionist history along the lines of something you might here at a nation of Islam convention or a Communist rally. That guy wasn't a liberal he was a fringe left nut job and he wasn't expressing his political opinions but rather indoctrinating his students with leftist propaganda and trying to pass off his revisionist history as fact.

What is it with Colorados professors and teachers?

In my opinion,this guy should be fired. Had he said it at a college or university is one thing, but a PUBLIC SCHOOL to an audience of high schools kids, no way. Obviously he got his wish as most who pull stunts like this do......PRESS AND ATTENTION.

Whether it is his opinion or not.....he is there to teach the subject matter and that is it. He is not there for his own political agenda or to cause terror in the classroom.

Should a teacher be fired for saying that Islam is a religion of terror? That all Muslims are bad because of 9-11? We should only profile Islamic looking people?
You think we would be having this discussion if a teacher actually said this in any classroom in America? No way.

Should a teacher be allowed to give opinions on homosexuality, especially if its his/her opinion and that opinion happens to be negative?

Again, the teacher would be fired, no discussion about it.

If you allow free speech in one area then you must allow it in every area. And those who say he should be allowed to say what he did, shouldnt be able to turn around and deny another the right to express himself verbally.
It might be his opinion but he should not be allowed to say it.
And if you say yes he has the right based on free speech, then anyone who wants to talk about religion should be allowed to give opinions as well.

The guy should be canned.

Scarecrow said, "Sure, fire him. This whole notion of tenure for teachers is stupid, anyway. The guy may have a guaranteed freedom to speak as he will....but only on his own time. When he's at work, he's on company time, and as a teacher, his flapping lips are the representatives of his employer. If the school board disagrees with the noises he makes, they should be free to let him go. It's their job, not his. He's only filling a spot. Any other qualified teacher can fill that position just as easily.

If he wants to get paid for making blatantly political comments, he should either run for political office or become a reporter for the New York Times."

EXCELLENT POST AND SO TRUE.

Part of the pinion from Schnenck:

It described the arguments on the other side as coming from cunning politicians and a mercenary capitalist press, and even silent consent to the conscription law as helping to support an infamous conspiracy. It denied the power to send our citizens away to foreign shores to shoot up the people of other lands, and added that words could not express the condemnation such cold-blooded ruthlessness deserves, &c., &c., winding up, "You must do your share to maintain, support and uphold the rights of the people of this country." Of course, the document would not have been sent unless it had been intended to have some effect, and we do not see what effect it could be expected to have upon persons subject to the draft except to influence them to obstruct the carrying of it out. The defendants do not deny that the jury might find against them on this point.
But it is said, suppose that that was the tendency of this circular, it is protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution. Two of the strongest expressions are said to be quoted respectively from well known public men. It well may be that the prohibition of laws abridging the freedom of speech is not confined to previous restraints, although to prevent them may have been the [p52] main purpose, as intimated in Patterson v. Colorado, 205 U.S. 454, 462. We admit that, in many places and in ordinary times, the defendants, in saying all that was said in the circular, would have been within their constitutional rights. But the character of every act depends upon the circumstances in which it is done. Aikens v. Wisconsin, 195 U.S. 194, 205, 206. The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. It does not even protect a man from an injunction against uttering words that may have all the effect of force. Gompers v. Bucks Stove & Range Co., 221 U.S. 418, 439. The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent. It is a question of proximity and degree. When a nation is at war, many things that might be said in time of peace are such a hindrance to its effort that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight, and that no Court could regard them as protected by any constitutional right. It seems to be admitted that, if an actual obstruction of the recruiting service were proved, liability for words that produced that effect might be enforced. The statute of 1917, in § 4, punishes conspiracies to obstruct, as well as actual obstruction. If the act (speaking, or circulating a paper), its tendency, and the intent with which it is done are the same, we perceive no ground for saying that success alone warrants making the act a crime. Goldman v. United States, 245 U.S. 474, 477. Indeed, that case might be said to dispose of the present contention if the precedent covers all media concludendi. But, as the right to free speech was not referred to specially, we have thought fit to add a few words.

Considering that this occured in a High School, I highly doubt that what this teacher was spewing eminated from the class-course syllabus. In fact, I would wager that these views are contrary and anathema to the learning syllabus mandated by the school board.

I'd fire him/her faster than you can say 'unprofessional conduct'.

Inuyasha said:

He can say whatever he wants but not as a high school teacher. If he was a college teacher that would be different as students can pick and choose what kind of nonsense they want to pay for.

As a highschool teacher though he is totally and completely out of line. To say a teacher can say anything they want in a classroom because of free speech is nonsense. They can say anything they want but they should also be fired for teaching nonsense vs the accepted criteria.

Ok I know you have been waiting for my brilliant reply so with out further delay here we go.

Does he have the right to have his views? Yes he does.
Does he have the right to voice his views? Yes he does.
Does he have the right to voice his views to high school students in class? NO he does not.

No teacher has the right to voice their personal views on race, religion, or politics in a classroom.

Should he be fired? Is this first time? If so then no. He should he warned.
But if it continues then yes fire him.

However if he at anytime calls for Violence then he should be fired immediately.

He can always teach in France...:2wave:

People that voted yes got a problem with the truth. This is what neocon's have turned this country into. So read it and weep.

Back
Top Bottom