• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should these teens be tried as adults

Should the 15 and 16 year old also be tried as adults

• yes and throw away the key

Votes: 72 87.8%
  • no, they deserve a second chance

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) — With the simplest of motives — breaking up the boredom of an Oklahoma summer — three teenagers followed an Australian collegiate baseball player who was attending school in the U.S. and killed him with a shot to the back for “the fun of it,” prosecutors said Tuesday as they charged two of the teens with murder.
As the boys appeared in an Oklahoma courtroom, a 17-year-old blurted out, “I pulled the trigger,” then wept after a judge told him that Tuesday’s hearing wasn’t the time or place to sort out the facts of the case.
Prosecutor Jason Hicks called the boys “thugs” as he told Stephens County Judge Jerry Herberger how Christopher Lane, 22, of Melbourne, died on a city street.
Chancey Allen Luna, 16, and James Francis Edwards, Jr., 15, of Duncan were charged with first-degree murder and, under Oklahoma law, will be tried as adults. Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, of Duncan was accused of using a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon and accessory to first-degree murder after the fact. He is considered a youthful offender but will be tried in adult court. 3 Teens Charged After Australian Player Slain « CBS Houston

If anyone does, they deserve to be tried as adults.

We call them kids for a reason. When do you have an adult male, at 28 years and nine months. These may be killer kids, but they are still kids, obviously.

We call them kids for a reason. When do you have an adult male, at 28 years and nine months. These may be killer kids, but they are still kids, obviously.

Sorry, no way. 15-16yo know murder is wrong. This wasn't in the heat of anger, or sort-kinda-by-accident, or negligence, or even in response to some insult or offense.... this was entirely malum-in-se with no mitigating circumstances. There are some things for which "they're just kids" is no longer an excuse for people past puberty. This was one.

DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) — With the simplest of motives — breaking up the boredom of an Oklahoma summer — three teenagers followed an Australian collegiate baseball player who was attending school in the U.S. and killed him with a shot to the back for “the fun of it,” prosecutors said Tuesday as they charged two of the teens with murder.
As the boys appeared in an Oklahoma courtroom, a 17-year-old blurted out, “I pulled the trigger,” then wept after a judge told him that Tuesday’s hearing wasn’t the time or place to sort out the facts of the case.
Prosecutor Jason Hicks called the boys “thugs” as he told Stephens County Judge Jerry Herberger how Christopher Lane, 22, of Melbourne, died on a city street.
Chancey Allen Luna, 16, and James Francis Edwards, Jr., 15, of Duncan were charged with first-degree murder and, under Oklahoma law, will be tried as adults. Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, of Duncan was accused of using a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon and accessory to first-degree murder after the fact. He is considered a youthful offender but will be tried in adult court. 3 Teens Charged After Australian Player Slain « CBS Houston

Fifteen is pretty young to be charged as an adult IMO. Most kids are still very much a child at that age. I just wish there was a way to hold them longer than until their 18th birthdays when it's a serious charge such as this.

I say put them in with the general prison population where they can be passed around for a pack of smokes for the next 60 years of their lives.

Sorry, no way. 15-16yo know murder is wrong. This wasn't in the heat of anger, or sort-kinda-by-accident, or negligence, or even in response to some insult or offense.... this was entirely malum-in-se with no mitigating circumstances. There are some things for which "they're just kids" is no longer an excuse for people past puberty. This was one.
Tell me, does this this crime make sense to you? Of course it doesn't, you're an adult. It's not about wrong or right, it's about having a brain mature enough to hear that clearly though all the other noise in your head. Teens know what is right most of the time, they just aren't any good at doing it. For that you need maturity, which they lack and therefore we call them teens or kids.

I say put them in with the general prison population where they can be passed around for a pack of smokes for the next 60 years of their lives.

Delightful. Your sense of Justice is noted.

I can't imagine a scenario where the actual shooter doesn't deserve to be tried as an adult and put away for a very very very long time. I will withhold my judgment on what the other two should be charged with/as for a short while longer, simply because I haven't read a whole lot about the case.

I can't imagine a scenario where the actual shooter doesn't deserve to be tried as an adult and put away for a very very very long time. I will withhold my judgment on what the other two should be charged with/as for a short while longer, simply because I haven't read a whole lot about the case.
The shooter was probably the most immature of the three.

Delightful. Your sense of Justice is noted.

If it was my brother they killed I'd want breaking on the wheel or anal impalement on a stake. no horror is too disgusting for the asshole who shot that guy.

a turd like that cannot be salvaged. best to make a horrible example out of him-maybe the next asswipe that wants to kill someone for amusement might think twice

If it was my brother they killed I'd want breaking on the wheel or anal impalement on a stake. no horror is too disgusting for the asshole who shot that guy.
Vengeance is mine sayth the Lord.

Vengeance is mine sayth the Lord.

Well I am an agnostic. Where was your lord when those turds were planning on murdering an innocent man

Do unto others before others can do unto you

And Yeah though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest MF in the valley

there's religion for you dude

a turd like that cannot be salvaged. best to make a horrible example out of him-maybe the next asswipe that wants to kill someone for amusement might think twice
A total write-off eh? How very Christian of you.

I've never felt that any juvenile should be tried as an adult. I see it as setting two sets of standards depending on our view of the situation. If juveniles do something we deem as terrible we are willing to treat them as adults yet I have never heard of any great deeds being rewarded by proclaiming them adults. That is not to say that the punishment should be much different but perhaps instead of having changing standards to suit our tastes we should instead have murder carry harsh punishments regardless of being a juvenile or an adult.

Well I am an agnostic. Where was your lord when those turds were planning on murdering an innocent man

Do unto others before others can do unto you

And Yeah though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I shall fear no evil because I am the baddest MF in the valley

there's religion for you dude
My Lord? On permanent vacation it seems.

My Lord? On permanent vacation it seems.

yeah, I guess he is. I suggest you listen to some Ian Anderson for guidance on the subject

now those mopes need killing. pure and simple-that or being prison bitches for the rest of their lives

funny how we don't see white folk rioting after this-a black on white killing that is one hundred times worse than the one that seemed to cause so many riots and hysterical handwringing

Not enough choices...I think it depends on the crime.

yeah, I guess he is. I suggest you listen to some Ian Anderson for guidance on the subject

now those mopes need killing. pure and simple-that or being prison bitches for the rest of their lives

funny how we don't see white folk rioting after this-a black on white killing that is one hundred times worse than the one that seemed to cause so many riots and hysterical handwringing
We aren't known for rioting. We are better at getting our way just by being white.

It is always immature to take the life of another person. I consider myself to be on the more lenient side when it comes to youthful offenders, but youth is not an excuse for murdering someone in cold blood. This kid is just as much a danger to the community as any adult, and any teen who takes another's life for no other reason than to watch them die is far beyond the point of rehabilitation through the juvenile delinquency process. He needs to be put away.

The other two it's harder to say based on the limited facts we have now; I will assume the prosecutors made an appropriate decision.

We aren't known for rioting. We are better at getting our way just by being white.

that's a pretty sad answer. maybe some would say racist. but half of its true.

Back
Top Bottom