• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should these people be arrested for inciting violence and hate?

Should these people be arrested for inciting violence and hate?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
"I hope [Justice Clarence Thomas'] wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease. Well, that's how I feel. He is an absolutely reprehensible person."
-- USA Today columnist and Pacifica Radio talk show host Julianne Malveaux, November 4, 1994 on the PBS program "To the Contrary."
Funnier than it is offensive.

"[If] there is retributive justice, [Jesse Helms will] get AIDS from a transfusion, or one of his grandchildren will get it."
-- Compassionate, liberal Nina Totenberg responding to Inside Washington TV host Tina Gulland.
If God deems it so, afterall, it's his virus...

"[F]or a few brief moments, America held the hope that O.J. Simpson had murdered [Florida Secretary of State] Katherine Harris."
-- Bill Maher, host of ABC's Politically Incorrect, speaking on national television.
A comedian is there for laughs and shock value, I hardly think it fair to hold them to the same standards as a pundit or politician.

"I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years."
-- President Lyndon Baines Johnson, speaking to two governors about his true motivations regarding his support of civil rights legislation, while aboard Air Force One.
Stupid wording, however smart and true his assessment turned out to be.

"Write down the name of that motherf---er. When I'm back in office, he's a dead man."
-- Bill Clinton, after a critic told him, during Clinton's second campaign for governor, he was nothing but a "two-bit politician" and then walked away. Clinton made the comment to a campaign aide. Samuel Wilson, former political worker for Clinton said, "I remember his look. It was cold. I don't want to think he wanted to kill him literally, but I'm sure some sort of revenge was inflicted later on."
Not the smartest wording, but it was in private and in a moment of anger against an obviously ill-informed critic, so it's hardly reason to hang him.

"I got the impression that instead of going out to shoot birds, I should go out and shoot the kids who shoot birds."
-- Paul Watson, co-founder of Greenpeace, as quoted in Access to Energy, December 1982.
We've all wanted to kill a kid or two at one time or another.

"We honor groups by race, we honor groups by gender, we honor groups by ethnicity, and we honor groups by their sexual orientation. But there's one group we never, ever honor on our campus, and that's the American military."
-- Professor George Zilbergeld, Montclair, New Jersey State University, during a conference in the summer of 2004.
A political statement that hardly inspires hate or anything dangerous like that from a man that isn't a religious leader to the world.

"I think America has to bleed. I think the corpses have to pile up. I think American boys have to die again. Let the mothers weep and mourn."
-- Oliver Stone in 1987 upon receiving the Torch of Liberty Award from the American Civil Liberties Union.
Taken out of context, though a strange comment to make in-context nonetheless.

"[Spitting into the food] gave me a psychological gratification."
-- Jesse Jackson, in a November 1969 Life magazine article, admitting that when he worked as a waiter at a hotel in Greenville, South Carolina, he spat into the soups and salads of white customers.
Gross but understandable behavior all things considered.

"[To even the score with America, Muslim terrorists] would, at a minimum, have to blow up about 300,000 more buildings and kill something on the order of 7.5 million people."
-- University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill.
You're quoting Ward Churchill now?

"Can anyone shoot this man?"
-- The caption under an image of George W. Bush with a laser sight targeting his head, as shown on a Norway rapper group (Gatas [Street] Parliament) website, the address of which translates to "Kill him now".
It's a rap group, they should be praised for their restraint.

In any case, what exactly are you trying to prove? That you can string together a bunch of quotes, most of them not all that bad, by liberals (even though this isn't a liberal issue) to compete with the idiocy from the moral majority? That there are idiots in this world whom I didnt link to? I'm incapable of understanding what exactly the purpose behind this post was. It didn't accomplish/prove much of anything.

My observation of this thread -

Within the "liberal bloopers," how many folks, outside of the Clintons, are seen regularly on television news programs? Bill Maher, the libertarian, doesn't count either as he is an entertainer. I have not heard of most of them. Well James Carville was there right, so there's one more. Plus, some of them were quotes from the sixties, and as we know, the sixties were a different day and age as were the democrats.

Now on the very extensive conservative list, I saw many faces and names that I see quite often. Folks who are called on regularly to contribute their voice to the "American dialogue." Why is it that there is not more balking from the right that these figures are called on to represent them? Certainly if liberals from the fringe who advocate violence or hate or any other destructive behavior were regularly called on to represent me, I would have a few words to say about it. Is it marketing? A Jerry Springer any attention is good attention attitude? What is it? I'm tired of hearing conservatives say that these people don't represent their views, but effectively allow them to by keeping silent. I don't get it.

And I vote no. They should not be arrested. They should go down in defeat in 2008. I can see it now.....

Last edited:
Inciting hatred and violence ought to be a crime. I'm not talking about statements such as "the Bible speaks against gays", or "only those who believe in Jesus can be saved," although I disagree with them. I mean when people say things that are really encouraging antisocial behaviour towards groups of people. All groups of people - it's possible for the WASPy majority to suffer from hateful propaganda, too.

With free speech comes responsibility. You wouldn't rightfully permit someone to say "Americans are evil, and deserve to be blown up." Same goes for those few idiots in society who encourage abuse against others.

Back
Top Bottom