• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should There be More or Less Direct Democracy?

Which Forms of Direct Democracy Do You Support?

• A national constitutional amendment to allow any of the above to be done nationally

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anagram

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I would like to see a bit more here in Canada but not go to lengths of Switzerland where government may be too direct.

Would you prefer to see more or less direct democracy in legislation throughout the country in general? Which of these would you support for your state/nationally?

-Initiated State Statute

-Initiated State Constitutional Amendment

-Indirect Initiated State Statute

-Popular Referendum

-Legislatively Referred Statute

-A national constitutional amendment to allow any of the above to be done nationally

Here is how the laws of each state are right now.

Excellent question! I support all at a state level, and the only reason I do not support it at a federal level is that it would be painfully unwieldy and kinda takes away the check of having a senate.

Excellent question! I support all at a state level, and the only reason I do not support it at a federal level is that it would be painfully unwieldy and kinda takes away the check of having a senate.
I wouldn't want anything but the ability by referendum or whatever to veto legislation. Don't need to make legislation just need a way to make sure it can be stopped.

Would you prefer to see more or less direct democracy in legislation throughout the country in general? Which of these would you support for your state/nationally?

-Initiated State Statute

-Popular Referendum

-A national constitutional amendment to allow any of the above to be done nationally

Perhaps you fail to understand the United States is a Constitutional Republic.

-Initiated State Statute

-Popular Referendum

Please excuse my previous reply. I failed to read all of the references.

-Initiated State Statute

-Popular Referendum

I don't really believe in reforming systems just because people lack of the morals to make our current system work. Such a defect suggests they'll become that way in any system. However, organizational inertia has become such a problem in American politics in its own right that I would be willing to accept almost any reform that does away with the status quo.

As for whether I support direct democracy in any abiding sense of the word, I don't. I would support out of pragmatism if our political culture and national spirit were better suited to direct democracy than representative government, but I have no reason to suspect that is the case.

Direct Democracy is just a world of problems, one only needs to look at California. Not only do you have the obvious problem of people voting to expand government services but at the same time voting to reduce taxes that pay for those services, but the hodgepodge of referendums that are passed may not all make sense together.

This is why we elect representatives in the first place, people don't have the time, energy, education, etc to carefully consider every aspect of every issue. Hell I certainly wouldn't trust myself to make smart decisions on energy policy for example.

No, I would rather leave lawmaking to professionals who know how to do it and all of the nuances of law. I would prefer, however, that these lawmakers be more accountable to the people, rather than just the wealthy donors who fund their campaigns.

Back
Top Bottom