• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should there be free government IDs in america?

tererun

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There are many situations where you need ID and it becomes an issue with things as necessary as getting a job, getting a bank account and using money payment systems, and for getting things like prescriptions. Now some states want you to show ID to vote. So why don't we just give them out and establish them? We already have the infrastructure to do it because we have a system of computer scannable state identifications. Why don't we just make it something we all do like getting a social security number, joining the selective service (yes i know ladies do not), or paying taxes. Of course we make the regulations to keep the system as secure as possible to avoid identity theft, but we just give everyone the ID they need to verify who they are for their normal citizen activities.

There are many situations where you need ID and it becomes an issue with things as necessary as getting a job, getting a bank account and using money payment systems, and for getting things like prescriptions. Now some states want you to show ID to vote. So why don't we just give them out and establish them? We already have the infrastructure to do it because we have a system of computer scannable state identifications. Why don't we just make it something we all do like getting a social security number, joining the selective service (yes i know ladies do not), or paying taxes. Of course we make the regulations to keep the system as secure as possible to avoid identity theft, but we just give everyone the ID they need to verify who they are for their normal citizen activities.

OK, Skippy, what do you do with those lacking the supporting documentation needed to do so? I suggest immediate hard labor for life.

I think you can already get free picture ID down at the Social Security office, with proper documentation of course. That's what I heard anyway.

OK, Skippy, what do you do with those lacking the supporting documentation needed to do so? I suggest immediate hard labor for life.

Or we could do something a little less drastic like do some research and establish things. yes, I am well aware of the fact there is a first time glut of problem children who would have to be addressed. But the good thing is after they were then they would have an ID. In most cases assuming they were legitimately born in the US and a citizen there should be evidence and it should be able to be established. For the handful that do not have that we simply work based on the situation through the courts.

I think you can already get free picture ID down at the Social Security office, with proper documentation of course. That's what I heard anyway.

The only ID I am aware of the social security office issuing is the social security card. I do not think that is free. It might be free for the first one.

The only ID I am aware of the social security office issuing is the social security card. I do not think that is free. It might be free for the first one.

I'm not sure, I've got forty-eleven other kinds of ID so I wasn't really paying attention. Maybe it was some other office, but the guy was saying you could get free picture ID from some gov office.

Come to think of it, it might have been state-issued ID. (Pummels memory).... yeah I think it was state-issued ID, supposed to be valid for any purpose a DL would be.

Let people call a telephone number and send them a coupon to get a free Voter photo ID from your local Walmart photocenter. I am sure for the price, Walmart would gladly let people set up shop to do it legit. Walmarts are everywhere and it would be no different than what happened with the digital converter boxes where Walmart just stuck $5 onto the coupon price.

I think you can get a free ID card at the DMV, that may be what you are thinking of.

It makes sense so why not, Europe has them. Then again there are plenty of other forms of ID. It would stop people form complaining about common sense voter ID regulations.

Not too long ago, "universal" ID was "big brother" and rabidly opposed by those clamoring for it now.

Propaganda is a hell of a drug.

Not too long ago, "universal" ID was "big brother" and rabidly opposed by those clamoring for it now.

I think you mean mandatory universal ID which nobody loves. This seems to be more like free and available ID which I wouldn't need since I have plenty of ID.

yup, that sort of thing could be used in an orwelian way, or another way like say a country trying to provide identification to it's citizens when it has the ability to do so,

I think you can get a free ID card at the DMV, that may be what you are thinking of.

That's prolly what it was. As I said, I wasn't really paying close attention since I got all this other ID already.

Well - we're not Europe.

It's actually unconstitutional to have a FEDERAL ID program in regard to voting. When you hear about it, it's on a state by state basis. Elections are a state held concern, they are not a nationally held concern. This is to preserve balance and prevent corruption. You do not want a government with governance and control over the election process when you're a democracy or a republic.

It is, however, constitutional for the states to fund and run their own election in the manner of their own choosing.

My opinion: If they decide it's critical to vote, they should provide for it.

Well - we're not Europe.

It's actually unconstitutional to have a FEDERAL ID program in regard to voting. When you hear about it, it's on a state by state basis. Elections are a state held concern, they are not a nationally held concern. This is to preserve balance and prevent corruption. You do not want a government with governance and control over the election process when you're a democracy or a republic.

It is, however, constitutional for the states to fund and run their own election in the manner of their own choosing.

My opinion: If they decide it's critical to vote, they should provide for it.

It's a common sense measure and you also have a federal agency to deal with any voter fraud. People need to prove who they are when they vote, how is that unreasonable? We have it in Canada it's called Elections Canada they decide who is a party and they investigate things like voter fraud nationally. Each province has their own aswell. We also require ID to vote. It's transparent and rather easy to implement.

Last edited:
yup, that sort of thing could be used in an orwelian way, or another way like say a country trying to provide identification to it's citizens when it has the ability to do so,

Mark of the beast would be an issue although having the NSA and such makes it sort of redundent.

It's a common sense measure and you also have a federal agency to deal with any voter fraud. People need to prove who they are when they vote, how is that unreasonable? We have it in Canada it's called Elections Canada they decide who is a party and they investigate things like voter fraud nationally. Each province has their own aswell. We also require ID to vote. It's transparent and rather easy to implement.

Do you really want the federal government to be able to say to someone, "No, you cannot vote?" - when out federal judiciary is the one telling the states "you cannot do that, you cannot say that?"

Just think about it, imagine all the many ways in which it will go bad. The federal government can't even keep it's own self under check, I'm not letting them government MY voting rights.

Aside that - it's still unconstitutional. You'd have to amend the constitution.

Do you really want the federal government to be able to say to someone, "No, you cannot vote?" - when out federal judiciary is the one telling the states "you cannot do that, you cannot say that?"

Just think about it, imagine all the many ways in which it will go bad. The federal government can't even keep it's own self under check, I'm not letting them government MY voting rights.

Aside that - it's still unconstitutional. You'd have to amend the constitution.

From Wikipedia:
Elections Canada (Élections Canada in French) is an independent, non-partisan agency reporting directly to the Parliament of Canada. Its ongoing responsibility is to ensure that Canadians can exercise their choices in federal elections and referenda through an open and impartial process. Elections Canada is the sole agency responsible for administering Canadian federal elections.
Why can't you have something similar? It is also how the Auditor General works.

Here is just one example for a free Voter ID in Georgia.

Georgia Photo ID

I totally support a universal I.D. funded by the government.

I want a state-of-the-art identification card. It needs to have a photo. It needs to have non-reproducible holographic layers. It needs to have a smart-chip that may include vital medical information for paramedics (blood type, allergies, etc). They need to be color-coded. Green for citizens, red for non-citizens. They need to be replaced every 10 years (to update the chip, photo, address, etc.).

Look...no one whines about having to get drivers licenses, or having to update the stickers on your plates every 1-2 years. Why are they whining about an I.D. card? Why not incorporate license information in the I.D. card? Why not incorporate employee medical plans in the card? One single card for everything.

...and then we need new voting booths that are only activated by the green cards. The red cards won't turn them on.

We should have a chip implanted when we are born that identifies us wherever we go. You could just be scanned at the polling booth, scanned when you are pulled over for a traffic violation, scanned as you enter any place of business you may rob or even shoplift from. The possibilities here are endless and we could have the safest society on earth. Don't laugh, I think this is coming.

We should have a chip implanted when we are born that identifies us wherever we go. You could just be scanned at the polling booth, scanned when you are pulled over for a traffic violation, scanned as you enter any place of business you may rob or even shoplift from. The possibilities here are endless and we could have the safest society on earth. Don't laugh, I think this is coming.

Would be difficult to upgrade or edit the information within.

I think you mean mandatory universal ID which nobody loves. This seems to be more like free and available ID which I wouldn't need since I have plenty of ID.

True.

But there was a time not too long ago when America took pride in being a "paperless democracy".

"Your papers please" was a meme we trolled the soviets with and the Nazis before them.

Now your credit score can keep you from getting a job and employers demand access to facebook pages.

Back
Top Bottom