• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should there be an inheritance tax?

Well then what should happen to land/houses/businesses that were in the posession of the decessed? Should it just be given away to who ever? People payed money and taxes for it. Why shouldn't it be given to whom they see fit?

Keepstar1331 said:
Well then what should happen to land/houses/businesses that were in the posession of the decessed? Should it just be given away to who ever? People payed money and taxes for it. Why shouldn't it be given to whom they see fit?

Why exactly do you consider yourself a liberal Democrat? You sound more like a conservative libertarian to me, hay plenty of room here, and the waters fine.

Last edited:
The inheritance tax is an extremely progressive tax that only applies to the richest 2% of Americans, it's repeal was simply another way for Bush to help out his rich buddies. While trying to fight for the tax, Democrats even offered to give an exemption up to $100 million and still the GOP refused! And with the repeal of capital gains tax it is entirely possible that millions of dollars can be made and passed on without it ever being taxed. Not very fair if you ask me, but then I don't think any of Bush's tax 'reforms' or cuts have been at all fair.

basically because this is the only issue im conservative on. I think, overall, the income tax should be raised for wealthy people. i just dont think things/people should be taxed twice. When i inherit this house who says i'll even be able to pay taxes on it. I may just want to live there and be happy.

Keepstar1331 said:
basically because this is the only issue im conservative on. I think, overall, the income tax should be raised for wealthy people. i just dont think things/people should be taxed twice. When i inherit this house who says i'll even be able to pay taxes on it. I may just want to live there and be happy.

Why should I have to pay more in taxes on what I worked for so you can inherit a million dolar house tax free? I want to buy a house and live there and be happy too. The fact that I have to pay taxes intereferes with that goal for me just as much as it does for you. What did you do to deserve a tax free status?

I'm not trying to pick on you personally; I will leave my kids some $$ someday, but I'm just trying to make a point.

As far as being taxed twice, again, if your dad paid his doctor to help take care of him before he died, should the doctor get his fee tax free? Why not? You dad already paid taxes on it.

Back
Top Bottom