• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should there be an American bias to the news?

Deegan said:
Fortunately, we have more freedoms then any other nation, that's why so many here complain all the time, they are spoiled with freedoms. That sounds like a terrible situation where you live, I had not heard that about Belgium, that's unfortunate. As for this topic, of course there will always be an American bias to our media, it's pride in ones country, and that will always show through.
I agree with you in the fact that your constitution (which is the cornerstone of freedom) allows you more freedom than here. Let's not forget that Belgium (and most european countries) is a constitutional monarchy, which means that the monarchy was toned down, not that the will of the people was toned up.
On the other hand, the link between the politicians and the press will remain the same in every country.. Money and influence for the first, possibility to interview the others for the second.

Be proud of your country, it (and you) deserves it. But don't close your eyes at the same time, you don't deserve that.

CU
Y

Originally posted by DeeJayH:
doh-boy
you just had to ask didnt you Billo, LOL
I beg your pardon?

epr64 said:
I agree with you in the fact that your constitution (which is the cornerstone of freedom) allows you more freedom than here. Let's not forget that Belgium (and most european countries) is a constitutional monarchy, which means that the monarchy was toned down, not that the will of the people was toned up.
On the other hand, the link between the politicians and the press will remain the same in every country.. Money and influence for the first, possibility to interview the others for the second.

Be proud of your country, it (and you) deserves it. But don't close your eyes at the same time, you don't deserve that.

CU
Y

Oh I agree, you have to watch these greedy bastards, but I have much faith in our media, they have exposed much corruption, and uncovered many a scandal. I swear, nothing gets by these vultures, and I believe that's a good thing. I think our media deserves more respect then they get, as a whole, they are very effective, and very meticulous, I appreciate them, I wish others would as well.

Deegan said:
Oh I agree, you have to watch these greedy bastards, but I have much faith in our media, they have exposed much corruption, and uncovered many a scandal. I swear, nothing gets by these vultures, and I believe that's a good thing. I think our media deserves more respect then they get, as a whole, they are very effective, and very meticulous, I appreciate them, I wish others would as well.

Our media is an excellent tool for keeping our government in check. I think bias in the media is overated. The media is such an extensive and diverse group of people with such a diverse number of differing biases that any educated observer can usualy gleen an accurate picture of events. I think that without the media it would be much harder to maintain democracy within our country.

Arthur Fonzarelli said:
First...I have an obligation to my Lord & Savior

Second...I have an obligation to my family

Third...I have an obligation to my country

Fourth...I have an obligation to my employer

& yes...those obligations are in the order of importance
:2razz: I also am a born again believer in Christ. And I truly believe that there should not be any bias in the media. There are many people in the my family and community; not to mention this country, that have different minds, attitudes, hearts, and discernment abilities-- all of which enable one to make choices. We people ought to be free thinkers. No one in the media world of any kind should place their twist or bias when reporting anything. They should just report facts: this is what, where, when, why, or how it happened. This is what took place, period. Think back to the previous election: How much coverage did President Bush get compared to John Kerry. I tuned into radio, newspaper, television, and online news--- everythings the same! Everyone: Pro John Kerry. We should get both sides of the aisle when it comes to an issue. That's pretty much like brainwashing. Only letting the public know half the info all the time. I would not like being mislead; especially deliberately!

Last edited:
Billo_Really said:
Was it something like this.

iraqcelebrate4kh.jpg
Hey dude, you are a blast. I am truly laughing at you. I'm laughing at your knowledge. I want to know where you are looking at for your research of bias. I study media thoroughly. I can tune the television to CNN (communist news network), CBS (communist broadcast service), ABC(or ABS), NBC(or NBS), and MSNBC(PMSNBS) and I would get the same news story pretty much word for word. They all have a political lean. They always have. They have always leaned to the liberal left. They ought to be blamed for losing the Vietnam War. It was not our soldiers who lost that war. That's what veterans mean when they say that the Vietnam War was a political war here in the states. The Liberal Lindon B. Johnson (LBJ) took us into the Vietnam War and given the media leaned left none of the war coverage was anti-war. When a Republican came into office that's when people began hearing nothing but "our soldiers are murders and rapists" and were spit at. The liberals wanted to get back into power. It's no different than when clinton was in office; when he took us in somalia, rowanda, macedonia, waco, and ruby ridge. It was okay for him to use military force. But when President Bush by Congress declaring war on terrorism; invading Afghanistan and Congress declaring war on Iraq, then the it's not okay. There have been surveys done asking journalists who they vote for:78 to 85 percent vote democrat. That survey was done in 1987. Recent surveys indicate: 95 percent or better. 88 percent of college professors and high school teachers vote liberal---always democrat. Girls out number guys 2:1 major universities and colleges---why, are they smarter? No because, guys are finding other ways to become successful, because they don't like hearing that girls are smarter and the rest of the feminist junk. Who teaches those things---liberals! They are the ones who are causing division. They have a political agenda. They will bend, twist, everything because they have the resources to do so. Recently Fox News (I don't it, but a little better) and many other smaller news media have risen to speak on behalf the other aisle. These New Media have challenged the main stream liberal media and they don't like it. The new media state claims on both sides of the aisle, and do outwordly state their position of bias.:doh

Last edited:
To the last post - it wasn't ok for strictly the legality of defying the UN security council. Were the same stringent measures taken against America as against other countries who have done the same, i believe the USA would be suffering from a great worldwide embargo lead by Cuba. And were the same rules to be applied to everyone, i believe the world would be a much fairer and less safe place.
Media Bias is to be expected, but thats because when true news comes on - its boring, attention spans wane, groans from people are heard and ratings drop - and so, as far as i can tell a biased media sensationalizing stories and broadcasting companies contradicting one another adds to the whole "fictional news that entertains" which came with the popularization of boring news shows. now - im sorry and im british, but i was under the impression that boring news was the only news that's true - and despite intellectual debates about this and that...we know boring from entertaining.
And i do believe the news teams duty FOR THE COUNTRY is to report WITHOUT BIAS on any issue, because THAT is what the NEWSMANS job is...and he has been given that job in a democracy. but then the people later vote with ratings against true news. so...how about those CIA installed ruthless dictators? any crying shame about that on the news lately? communists don't want to attack America...just the fundamental principles its based on. a principle isn't worth pinochet. peace out.

Rhadamanthus said:
Our media is an excellent tool for keeping our government in check. I think bias in the media is overated. The media is such an extensive and diverse group of people with such a diverse number of differing biases that any educated observer can usualy gleen an accurate picture of events. I think that without the media it would be much harder to maintain democracy within our country.

Agreed, you said that with more precision than I, wise thoughts, thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by kckbravo228:
Hey dude, you are a blast. I am truly laughing at you. I'm laughing at your knowledge. I want to know where you are looking at for your research of bias. I study media thoroughly. I can tune the television to CNN (communist news network), CBS (communist broadcast service), ABC(or ABS), NBC(or NBS), and MSNBC(PMSNBS) and I would get the same news story pretty much word for word. They all have a political lean. They always have. They have always leaned to the liberal left. They ought to be blamed for losing the Vietnam War. It was not our soldiers who lost that war. That's what veterans mean when they say that the Vietnam War was a political war here in the states. The Liberal Lindon B. Johnson (LBJ) took us into the Vietnam War and given the media leaned left none of the war coverage was anti-war. When a Republican came into office that's when people began hearing nothing but "our soldiers are murders and rapists" and were spit at. The liberals wanted to get back into power. It's no different than when clinton was in office; when he took us in somalia, rowanda, macedonia, waco, and ruby ridge. It was okay for him to use military force. But when President Bush by Congress declaring war on terrorism; invading Afghanistan and Congress declaring war on Iraq, then the it's not okay. There have been surveys done asking journalists who they vote for:78 to 85 percent vote democrat. That survey was done in 1987. Recent surveys indicate: 95 percent or better. 88 percent of college professors and high school teachers vote liberal---always democrat. Girls out number guys 2:1 major universities and colleges---why, are they smarter? No because, guys are finding other ways to become successful, because they don't like hearing that girls are smarter and the rest of the feminist junk. Who teaches those things---liberals! They are the ones who are causing division. They have a political agenda. They will bend, twist, everything because they have the resources to do so. Recently Fox News (I don't it, but a little better) and many other smaller news media have risen to speak on behalf the other aisle. These New Media have challenged the main stream liberal media and they don't like it. The new media state claims on both sides of the aisle, and do outwordly state their position of bias
First off, dude, it's Lyndon Johnson. Secondly, tell me those pictures lie. Thirdly, if you judge your information soley on where it comes from, you are lying to yourself. Fourthly, the Vietnam War started with the French and Eisenhower sending consultants. Kennedy up-ed the ante and Johnson followed suit. Fithly, we had eight good years with Clinton, none with Bush. Sixthly, the war on terror is bullshit. You cannot have a war against an ideology. We did not call WWII the War on Blitzkrieg. Seventhly, Bush started the Iraq war nine months before receiving authorization from Congress, an impeachable offense. Eighthly, you argue like a girl. Ninthly, I hope there is always division in this country. I want equal parts of conservatives and liberals in office. Each group holds the other ones feet to the fire. Each group keeps the other one honest. Because if they don't, we have the beginnings of tyranny. Tenthly, and lastly, if the media was liberal as you say, why haven't we heard more about DSM?

Billo_Really said:
First off, dude, it's Lyndon Johnson. Secondly, tell me those pictures lie. Thirdly, if you judge your information soley on where it comes from, you are lying to yourself. Fourthly, the Vietnam War started with the French and Eisenhower sending consultants. Kennedy up-ed the ante and Johnson followed suit. Fithly, we had eight good years with Clinton, none with Bush. Sixthly, the war on terror is bullshit. You cannot have a war against an ideology. We did not call WWII the War on Blitzkrieg. Seventhly, Bush started the Iraq war nine months before receiving authorization from Congress, an impeachable offense. Eighthly, you argue like a girl. Ninthly, I hope there is always division in this country. I want equal parts of conservatives and liberals in office. Each group holds the other ones feet to the fire. Each group keeps the other one honest. Because if they don't, we have the beginnings of tyranny. Tenthly, and lastly, if the media was liberal as you say, why haven't we heard more about DSM?

Elevenly, get a job bum.:mrgreen:

Originally posted by Deegan:
Elevenly, get a job bum
I've got a phone interview on Monday at 10:30AM and sent my Resume to another firm for a job in Irvine, Ca for $30.00/hr. My status is going to change next week.

One yard gain, so what!

Why do I get the feeling you could have ghost-written my entire reply to that guy.

Brunell gets hit. Wow, he's no Fran Tarkenton.

Billo_Really said:
I've got a phone interview on Monday at 10:30AM and sent my Resume to another firm for a job in Irvine, Ca for $30.00/hr. My status is going to change next week.

One yard gain, so what!

Why do I get the feeling you could have ghost-written my entire reply to that guy.

Brunell gets hit. Wow, he's no Fran Tarkenton.

Good luck buddy, you know I kid.;)

Both teams look siked, it's gonna be a good one!:lol:

Both teams look siked, it's gonna be a good one
The word is "psyched".

Oh oh, Alexander down, Seattle might have just lost this game!

Billo_Really said:
The word is "psyched".

Oh oh, Alexander down, Seattle might have just lost this game!

It's slang, can I not use slang anymore?

And yes, this is quite the development!:shock:

It's slang, can I not use slang anymore?
No, you can't. Now drop and give me 20 pulatee's.

Billo_Really said:
No, you can't. Now drop and give me 20 pulatee's.

Done, now where's my love?;)

Billo_Really said:

I was there, and I was not impressed, the Stone's suck these days, just retire, it's not like you're on the SCOTUS or anything!:lol:

I was there, and I was not impressed, the Stone's suck these days, just retire, it's not like you're on the SCOTUS or anything
So................you reject my love!

walrus said:

This is a question which has come up often since 9/11. Should American reporters "check their citizenship at the door" when reporting the news?

As far as I am concerned American journalist need to support America.
Do journalists have any obligation to protect America's policies or influence?
If they are a american reporter they owe their alligiance to the US.
This particular journalist even complained about restrictions on reporting troop movements, locations, etc... Do you think journalists have any duty to censor their reports in order to safeguard American troops?
MOst definatly they have the responsibility of to censure their reports to safeguard our troops.If they do ton do this they should be shot on site for treason.

If a journalist happened to unearth a terrorist cell, would they have any obligation to report this to the military?

Yes they do.Americans owe their alligiance to the US first.

Originally posted by Jamesrage:
As far as I am concerned American journalist need to support America.
So you advocate lying and you support communism?

Billo_Really said:
So you advocate lying and you support communism?

What the **** does that have to do with Americans being Americans first instead of some piece of **** traitor?

Do you support only being a American when it is conveniant?If you went to another country would be a ***** and pretend to not be an American?

Originally posted by Jamesrage
What the **** does that have to do with Americans being Americans first instead of some piece of **** traitor?
Truth and Justice is the American way. Or have you forgot?

Do you support only being a American when it is conveniant?If you went to another country would be a ***** and pretend to not be an American?
I stand by (and in defense of) my country. I'm a good American. You're a pretty f_cking bad one.

Billo_Really said:
Truth and Justice is the American way. Or have you forgot?

So you are saying that a journalist not being American and not supporting America is supporting truth and justice?

I stand by (and in defense of) my country. I'm a good American. You're a pretty f_cking bad one.

So you are saying is if I became disloyal to America I would be a good American?

So you are saying that a journalist not being American and not supporting America is supporting truth and justice?
No, you're saying that. I'm saying that your saying it is OK to lie in the media if it helps America. I'm saying, lying doesn't help anyone.

So you are saying is if I became disloyal to America I would be a good American?
You talk like a communist. Because the things you infer are what the commies did.

Back
Top Bottom