• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should there be a national ID for all legal residents

Shoud the Federal govenment institute a national ID program

• Total voters

TOJ

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
With all the angst about illegal immigration should the Feds institute a naitonal ID program? It could be used by employers to verify the person has the legal right to work in the US. It could also be useful to combat voter and other types of fraud.

IMO, it would have to use some sort of biometrics since those are the only technologies that is even close to being spoof resistent. Even photo IDs are easily forged.

With all the angst about illegal immigration should the Feds institute a naitonal ID program? It could be used by employers to verify the person has the legal right to work in the US. It could also be useful to combat voter and other types of fraud.

IMO, it would have to use some sort of biometrics since those are the only technologies that is even close to being spoof resistent. Even photo IDs are easily forged.
It is difficult to refute what you have stated… If our nation is to be sovereign its government must represent the “citizens” of the nation and not the “people” who live in the confines of the borders.

We are currently connected to our government with our Social Security Number, which cannot be utilized as identification… A citizen serial number that is also coupled with a positive identification is the only way the government can establish a responsibility to a citizen.

The government challenges each citizen making application for services and likewise the government demands citizens file tax reports annually with the most personal data about themselves… So why not an positive identification, all citizens should be able to direct the government to hospital records where they were born or their birth was registered… Or, if born overseas the government should already have on file an such document of a legal citizen.

Don't you see? They first creat the problem by knowingly and deliberatly keeping the borders open, and now they will offer their "solution" to that problem...a solution you would not have accepted had they not created the problem to begin with.

Yes it will have biometrics, and eventualy it will be implanted in the right hand or the forehead.

No, simply put.I'll explain later, I have stuff to do now.

Digging Deeper

"Digging Deeper"
Yes it will have biometrics, and eventualy it will be implanted in the right hand or the forehead.
I keep suggesting that all private information records come with a complementary scan of the anus and smell like a$$, just to ensure the idea exists, that eventhough it is necessary, it is a debauchery of the human condition.

Its a fascist idea so I say no.
Why isn't it fascist idea to have a Social Security Number? What exactly is the difference in being able to prove it is your Government Issued Serial Number v. not being able to prove it is your number. Isn't telling the government how many wives, children and how much you and your family earn or fail to earn a fascist idea?

Why not just have the government enforce the laws that are already on the books and secure our borders like they are already supposed to?If you crack down on the employers who hire illegal and severly punish them for hiring illegals and secure our borders then most of the illegal immigration problems would be solved.All we would have to worry about is those coming here on visas and deliberately over staying their visas,which we can solve by temporarily cutting off countries we have the most visa violations with and putting those who over stay their visa on a permanent ban list.

Don't you see? They first creat the problem by knowingly and deliberatly keeping the borders open, and now they will offer their "solution" to that problem...a solution you would not have accepted had they not created the problem to begin with.

PuceVerichip_small.jpg

Why isn't it fascist idea to have a Social Security Number? What exactly is the difference in being able to prove it is your Government Issued Serial Number v. not being able to prove it is your number. Isn't telling the government how many wives, children and how much you and your family earn or fail to earn a fascist idea?
I have to agree
what is the big deal
i dont get it
just about everybody has a state ID (drivers license)
do you really think the Feds do NOT have access to it?
however, with a fed ID, it can be uniform, more resistant to hacking (atleast for 2 days) and can be used for drivers license/ or lack thereof saving communities, counties, states and feds money by using a unified system
one card that shows, I am allowed to drive, i am not a criminal, i am not an illegal alien, so **** off copper :lol:

Why not just have the government enforce the laws that are already on the books and secure our borders like they are already supposed to?If you crack down on the employers who hire illegal and severly punish them for hiring illegals and secure our borders then most of the illegal immigration problems would be solved.All we would have to worry about is those coming here on visas and deliberately over staying their visas,which we can solve by temporarily cutting off countries we have the most visa violations with and putting those who over stay their visa on a permanent ban list.
I do not think you can ever stop illegals coming here as long as there are jobs available for them. You cannot hold the employers accountable unless they have a reliable way to determine who is legal and who isn't. That is the point of my question.

I do not think you can ever stop illegals coming here as long as there are jobs available for them. You cannot hold the employers accountable unless they have a reliable way to determine who is legal and who isn't. That is the point of my question.

I am pretty sure if we had police officers doing under cover sting operations and treated the employers who hired illegals the same way we do drug dealers I am pretty sure the employers would do everything in their power to make sure that everyone they hire is here legally and document their attempts of searching to cover their ***.Work visas can be verified online,I am sure the same can be applied to other IDs.

BS
a few have airtight false ID
most are just going through the spinning doors of illegal immigrant employment
Illegals are not applying for any old job, they are comign here and working for specific employers that look the other way
to think elsewise is foolish
some are duped
most are complicit (sp?)

I am pretty sure if we had police officers doing under cover sting operations and treated the employers who hired illegals the same way we do drug dealers I am pretty sure the employers would do everything in their power to make sure that everyone they hire is here legally and document their attempts of searching to cover their ***.Work visas can be verified online,I am sure the same can be applied to other IDs.

Not the people who are purposely hiring illegals because they're cheap and can't complain. Then again, those people need to be run out of business and get a $10,000 fine per offense and the third offense means they lose their business license permanently.

While my first gut reaction was "NO", various posters made points about it not really changing anything....the government already knows a ton of our information......and ID cards, if incorperated into the marketplace, such as them being useable as credit cards, debit cards, drivers licences, ID cards for entrance into your workplace (if it is secure), general ID purposes, etc.......One card for everything would definitly un-clutter peoples wallets/purses/ect.

Of course, such a card would require un-hackable security (if such is possible), to prevent criminals from being able to access everything that makes you yourself from one card.

It seems like an idea which could make things easier for people, but at the same time, there are many, many problems that it could create.

And we do need a better ID system, if only because it might speed up government processing of things related to such.

BS
a few have airtight false ID
most are just going through the spinning doors of illegal immigrant employment
Illegals are not applying for any old job, they are comign here and working for specific employers that look the other way
to think elsewise is foolish
some are duped
most are complicit (sp?)
I'm not sure what you mean by air tight false ID. Anyone with half a brain can get a fake SS card and drivers license that you could not tell from the real thing. You expect the employer to ferret out the fakes and then get taken to court because someone thinks they have been discriminated against. :roll:

If there was a reliable ID system, the employer would not have any excuse. ;)

Of course, such a card would require un-hackable security (if such is possible),
Completely secure is not possible, but biometrics can make it pretty close.

to prevent criminals from being able to access everything that makes you yourself from one card.
IMO, identity would be more secure than it is now. They certainly don't need a national ID card to gain access to your cards, bank account, etc.

Completely secure is not possible, but biometrics can make it pretty close.
Why not? Who is to say that some method will not be invented which will allow complete data security?

IMO, identity would be more secure than it is now. They certainly don't need a national ID card to gain access to your cards, bank account, etc.
Point, although I believe there are companies which make a business of preventing such problems

Why not? Who is to say that some method will not be invented which will allow complete data security?
Its an arms race between those trying to get in and those trying to keep them out. For example, encryption that was considerable unbreakable only a few years ago is now easliy breached with off-the-shelf hardware.

Runners

"Runners"
Only illegals on the books will be subject to enforcement.
Day labor and the huge numbers of cash only institutions that support them under the radar of the IRS will scatter in the light.
Yet when they show up on the law enforcement radar for driving without insurance, without a license, or for some other reasons they can be dealt with readily.

This has a lot of merit! The government is complicit with the illegal action and that is the primary problem. The government is supposed to represent the "citizens", all the citizens but represents power and influental citizens over the will and rights of the masses. We do not need 12,000,000 immigrants to pick apples and lettuce... we don't need the kids and wives to do these tasks... There are entire factories that are full of illegal immigrants working for little over Mexican wages in several states... an arrangement with the government by big business to avoid moving the factory to Mexico... Wages are lowered by the illegal workers that exceed the needs of these employeers and flow into the building industry, elder care and many other aspects of normal American employment to the point it is getting hard to "keep" illegal farm workers on the farm working for a low "farm wage" that is the prime excuse for illegals.

Take a look at this article and see if you see any desire by either political party to control immigration:http://www.gopusa.com/theloft/?p=531

This is why we need an American citizen identification program so our government can be held accountable.

Back
Top Bottom