• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Theists Be Allowed To Shop/Vote? [W:7]

Xerographica

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do we really need millions of mosques, synagogues, churches, temples and cathedrals? Do we really need to debate whether schools should teach evolution or creationism? Do we really need to struggle to try and ensure that abortion isn't outlawed? Do we really need to fight for marriage equality? Given that society's resources are scarce/limited... couldn't all that time, money, effort and energy be used in more valuable/productive ways?

If you're an atheist...isn't it a given that the outcome would be largely beneficial if we simply made it illegal for theists to vote/shop for themselves?

If you're a theist...isn't it a given that the outcome would be largely beneficial if we simply made it illegal for atheists to vote/shop for themselves?

If you're an adult...isn't it a given that the outcome is largely beneficial because it's illegal for people who believe in Santa Claus to vote? Doesn't it follow then that we would benefit even more if we made it illegal for minors to shop for themselves? Couldn't all the money wasted on ice cream, candy and toys be better spent on more valuable things?

Do we really need millions of mosques, synagogues, churches, temples and cathedrals? Do we really need to debate whether schools should teach evolution or creationism? Do we really need to struggle to try and ensure that abortion isn't outlawed? Do we really need to fight for marriage equality? Given that society's resources are scarce/limited... couldn't all that time, money, effort and energy be used in more valuable/productive ways?

If you're an atheist...isn't it a given that the outcome would be largely beneficial if we simply made it illegal for theists to vote/shop for themselves?

If you're a theist...isn't it a given that the outcome would be largely beneficial if we simply made it illegal for atheists to vote/shop for themselves?

If you're an adult...isn't it a given that the outcome is largely beneficial because it's illegal for people who believe in Santa Claus to vote? Doesn't it follow then that we would benefit even more if we made it illegal for minors to shop for themselves? Couldn't all the money wasted on ice cream, candy and toys be better spent on more valuable things?

This is about the dumbest OP I have ever read.....

Theists can never be patriots, their first loyalty is not to their country.

Should they even be considered as citizens?

Theists can never be patriots, their first loyalty is not to their country.

Should they even be considered as citizens?

pa·tri·ot
/ˈpātrēət,
noun
noun: patriot; plural noun: patriots; noun: Patriot1. a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
synonyms: nationalist, loyalist; Morechauvinist, jingoist, flag-waver "would a true patriot abandon a comrade?"

2. trademark
an automated surface-to-air missile designed for preemptive strikes.

Theists can be Patriots. Unless of course you also don't consider the Founders to be Patriots..... :roll:

Moderator's Warning:
Everyone stop with the personal attacks.

Although on one hand I admire your slaveish devotion to the free-market, you've coupled it with tyranny and coercion. This idea fails on so many levels.

Yes, let's all give up our freedoms.

This is about the dumbest OP I have ever read.....

You should read more of his OPs. I would say this is about par for the course.

Apart from the existence of the buildings (and you could ask the same of theatres, malls and sports stadiums), none of those things are a consequence of theism, they're a consequence of human nature (just as theism itself is). Even if we somehow eliminated belief in gods, people would still disagree on these things and countless others too.

Of course not! Believing or not believing in gods doesn't alone say much about an individual, certainly not enough to start denying them basic rights. What we believe doesn't really matter, what we do about it is key.

I can conceive plenty of benefits in giving children staged freedoms to do things they would need to do as adults, including letting them make mistakes. You also assume that luxuries like sweets and toys can't have significant value which seems fundamentally flawed to me.

I'm sorry to add that, without a clear indication of the point behind your thread, I can't help but agree with the negative opinions of it.

I'm sorry to add that, without a clear indication of the point behind your thread, I can't help but agree with the negative opinions of it.

I'm looking for good answers to the questions I posed. Unfortunately, none have been shared. Lots of righteous bluster though.

You should read more of his OPs. I would say this is about par for the course.

What is the economic rationale behind your perspective on the proper scope of government?

I'm looking for good answers to the questions I posed. Unfortunately, none have been shared. Lots of righteous bluster though.

You can't have good answers to bad questions.

I thought I gave as good answers as possible given the nature of the questions. Not the answers you're looking for I'm sure, but that doesn't mean they're not good answers.

The first part of your post appears to be a poorly worded form of the age old "What’s the point of religion?" while the second part just seems to be about stirring up the none-existent conflict between theism and atheism. It's nothing that hasn't been said countless times before.

What is the economic rationale behind your perspective on the proper scope of government?

We've already had this discussion and it's never been fruitful, so I'll just abstain.

I know what you believe, you repost the same concept every week or so, and we're all generally just as disinterested as we already are. We're not wanting to give up our freedoms for your fascist wonderland.

We've already had this discussion and it's never been fruitful, so I'll just abstain.

Can you link me to the discussion so that I can refresh my memory? Plus, maybe somebody else might be interested in learning about the economic rationale behind your perspective on the proper scope of government.

Can you link me to the discussion so that I can refresh my memory? Plus, maybe somebody else might be interested in learning about the economic rationale behind your perspective on the proper scope of government.

No, because that would be too laborious to find. I just know we've had this conversation multiple times and it's always boiled down to an insanely different view of the world that will never be compatible.

For instance, your thread is called "Should theists be allowed to shop/vote?". The fact that you even pose that question makes it extremely clear that we aren't even in the same political universe. I believe in an egalitarian society where everyone has equal rights and the government doesn't oppress certain social groups.

I thought I gave as good answers as possible given the nature of the questions. Not the answers you're looking for I'm sure, but that doesn't mean they're not good answers.

The questions all involved negative/positive outcomes...while your answers did not.

Dude, I'm doing you a favor. I'd love to be banned from shopping. My wife wouldn't be able to try dragging my ass to the store to buy useless friggin' doilies and **** during a game ever again.

****! I didn't think this through. My wife's a theist. She'd probably just make me go shopping instead! Retreat! Retreat!

Dude, I'm doing you a favor. I'd love to be banned from shopping. My wife wouldn't be able to try dragging my ass to the store to buy useless friggin' doilies and **** during a game ever again.

:lamo Best answer ever!

No, because that would be too laborious to find. I just know we've had this conversation multiple times and it's always boiled down to an insanely different view of the world that will never be compatible.

We've had this conservation multiple times...yet even finding just one such conversation to link to would be too laborious? Since we've had this discussion multiple times...it should be really easy for you to just share the economic rationale behind your perspective on the proper scope of government.

It's really simple. Just say that the government should do x, y, and z because a, b and c. Given that you're a libertarian...the list of things that you believe that the government should do probably isn't going to be very lengthy...

While one can reject this notion of a stripped-down state, libertarianism is a principled and coherent worldview. It provides an answer to every question. Police departments and the army - yes. Just about everything else - no. Ask most politicians, from Gingrich to Clinton, what the role of the federal government is, and you'll get a stream of mush. Poke a libertarian and you'll get a response like the one Dick Armey gave shortly after becoming majority leader: "Defend our shores, build a system of justice, and construct some infrastructure. Gee, I'm running out of other suggestions." - Jacob Weisberg, The Coming Republican Crack-Up

What should the government do...and why?

The questions all involved negative/positive outcomes...while your answers did not.
That's because I was disagreeing with your assumptions about negative/positive outcomes. As I said, just because they're not the answers you wanted to hear doesn't make them bad answers.

If you don't want a serious discussion, just say so.

Back
Top Bottom