• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the words "under God" be removed from the pledge?

Should the words "under god" be removed from the pledge?

• Yes

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I saw an article yesterday about a billboard that simply read "One Nation, Indivisible." Purposefully leaving "Under God" out. Somebody wasn't happy with it and vandalized it with graffiti putting the words "under god" in.

I personally do think it should be removed because it clearly goes against what the bill of rights says and it likely isn't something the founding fathers would have approved of. It really doesn't bother me though, It is a relatively minor issue for me and I don't make a big deal out of it.

EDIT

appears some how I screwed up, can't post the poll...sorry, if a mod would could just create yes or no with the thread title as the question it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
or move the thread out of the polls section.

No, "under God" should not be removed from the pledge. I am spiritual, not religious, and I believe in God. God is an explanation to our existence. God is not a religious symbol, even though God is a large figure in many religions. Therefore, "separation between church and state" does not apply IMO.

Yes, 'Under God' should be removed. Not everybody is religous, and it is their right.

No, "under God" should not be removed from the pledge. I am spiritual, not religious, and I believe in God. God is an explanation to our existence. God is not a religious symbol, even though God is a large figure in many religions. Therefore, "separation between church and state" does not apply IMO.

Well, that is a point, but maybe some would see 'under God' as a sign that religious rules and customs are important in a country, even though those rules are no longer appropriate to modern democracies.

As well as that, how many people understand and/or are aware of their spiritual side...

I personally think it should be. However getting the public behind a change like that considering so many have grown up with it. "that’s just the way it is" has a measurable effect.. even if people are not religious or spiritual.

There should be a distinction made though however I don't know how you could fix this. The religious right always trumpets this as though it gives them some kind of special place in the government.

I think so, I don't think Heaven is "up" from us since the planet is a sphere and up extends in all directions :mrgreen:

even if God is just broad general term the U.S. still has to recognize the very legitimate rights of the non-believers. I think the only way this happens is through the courts though, kinda like how prayer was taken out of school.

yes, they should. they aren't original anyway. that said, i don't really care either.

The pledge should be removed from the pledge. :lol:

I would vote that it should. It wasn't in the original pledge and it honestly has no real business being there.

BCR, under "thread tools" at the top you can put a poll in.

It should stay just how it is because I wouldn't want to hear the rhetoric coming from fox news and talk radio or my coworkers for that matter if it were taken out. I'd rather take a punch to the scrotum than listen to that whining for months on end.

It contradicts the very Constitution is it supposedly pledging to, so yes, it should be removed.

what pledge?

DRA94430EA_1_2.JPG

Remove it.
God is simply a superstition invented by humans to explain the seemingly inexplicable.

A lot of people find religion and religious practices offensive, so God and all references to religion should be kept out of anything that is not optional.

I really don't care, it's the least of our problems.

Yes, it should. I'd never lift a finger to do so, though. Neither would any of the other atheists I know that I can think of. We're mostly a laid back bunch and don't care about the various references to the gods in our government.

alright I got the poll up, seems so far that it's an overwhelming yes ( based upon the discussion). I've noticed some Christians feel like their freedom of religion is under attack when you speak of removing under god form the pledge..They think somehow it's giving into the all the other religions.

I don't think it matters. Under God was added during the height of the Cold War to differentiate us from the "godless" commies. But regardless, the whole thing is sorta silly. The pledge itself, maybe we shouldn't really do it that much. It has a weird Big Brother vibe to it.

Free people don't pledge allegiance

"Under God" should absolutely remain in the pledge.

Back
Top Bottom