• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the US lower the voting age to 16?

Should the voting age in the US be lowered to the age of 16?

• yes

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • no

Votes: 29 74.4%

• Total voters
FinnMacCool said:
I didn't want to do this but whatever

1) Students couldn't, for the most part, give a **** about politics.

2) Students couldn't give a ****. for the most part, about what their teachers say

3) Parents are a greater influence on students then teachers.

This is true.

I voted yes because the kids that would mostly just be the ones that care, which also tend to be the ones that know their stuff. Kids of that age are very much so effected by the decisions that are made by the government, they can sign up for the army (dead seriously, I almost signed up when I was 16 and they knew I was 16), they work a lot of the time, they'll be the ones actually effected by all of these social security problems, etc. Thus it's unfair to not let them have any say in this process.

FinnMacCool said:
I didn't want to do this but whatever

1) Students couldn't, for the most part, give a **** about politics.

2) Students couldn't give a ****. for the most part, about what their teachers say

3) Parents are a greater influence on students then teachers.
Dude, it's true. The leftist teachers at my school just drove me further right to spite them. I mean think of me now politically. I used to arrange pro-war protests at my school, I wrote essays to other schools for the teachers to read to convince more people to be pro-war, I gave a damn speech about why Bush is a pretty good president considering the circumstances, all of that because my lefty teachers pushed me further to the right. Navy Pride should thank his lucky stars that teachers are liberals.

That being said, where I ended up politically happens to be right between my parents, closer to my dad that's a libertarian.

I don't think that a 16 year-old would vote if he/she could. I don't think that many 18 year-olds vote either. :(

FinnMacCool said:
I can speak for myself that I would be able to make an informed decision in an election. I cannot however speak for my fellow 16 year olds. You would be surprised how ****ed up they are. I was debating with this kid who was a "conservative" and the convo went sorta like this

Me: Why are we in Iraq?
Joe: Cause they hit us we had to hit them back.
Me: Whose them?
Joe: Those people in the middle east.
Me: What are you talking about? Terroists hit us and they happen to be from the middle east but not all from the middle east are terroists.
Joe: <pffft> they're all the same.

90% of american teenagers no absolutely nothing about politics. The other 10% percent are too drugged up to care. You would be surpised how many of them are willing to nuke the middle east. The only liberal posistions they would support is pro-abortion (so when they get someone pregnant they won't have to deal with the baby) and pot legalization (so they can get drugs).
HOWEVER its the same thing with adults so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have to vote.

Damn, straight but put your screwed up on your persent, 99.75% american teenager no absolutely nothing about politics.......and 9.75% percent are tood drugged up to care....the other .50 is the politics leader of america.....that are teens right now....just wait..........you'll see them running in 35 year or so

I have to vote no. Sure, there are plenty of 16 and 17 year olds out there that could handle the responsibility...but for every teen mature enough to handle it, there's a handful that aren't.

Navy Pride said:
I voted no........Liberal teachers in high school have a captive audience and they try and put their political beliefs on the children they are suppose to be teaching math for example........It might sway there vote.......As they grow older they become wiser and not so easily influenced and once they get married and start a family they usually become much more moderate and conservative and they become better educated on the political issues.............

So people shouldn't vote until they've married and had a child? *coughPARANOID!cough*

I say yes. The kids who don't know or care about politics are hardly going to exercise their right to vote any more than adults who don't know or care about politics.

A 16 year old voting age?!

No way!

I don't think people should be allowed to marry until the age of 25. LOL

Originally Posted by Navy Pride
I voted no........Liberal teachers in high school have a captive audience and they try and put their political beliefs on the children they are suppose to be teaching math for example........It might sway there vote.......As they grow older they become wiser and not so easily influenced and once they get married and start a family they usually become much more moderate and conservative and they become better educated on the political issues.............

Really? That's funny....I may not have children just yet, but I've found with age that my views have become more liberal, not more conservative. Not saying that the conservatives are always wrong, I do agree with them on some issues, but seriously now....

And I really can't remember any of my teachers discussing politics inappropriately. My teachers didn't sway my views one bit. Perhaps in certain schools, and/or certain parts of the country this is true, but honestly....I always thought that teachers were more on the conservative side, anyway. To each their own, I guess...

Stace said:
Really? That's funny....I may not have children just yet, but I've found with age that my views have become more liberal, not more conservative.
You're writing logically now which goes against the grain of some of the members of this community who it seems only write what they WANT to be true, not what actually is true!

For me, on this issue I am CONSERVATIVE! :shock: Yup, CONSERVATIVE! I think the age of majority is just right at 18 and that is when one should be allowed to vote.

There you go! I am now a CONSERVATIVE!

:2funny:

26 X World Champs said:
You're writing logically now which goes against the grain of some of the members of this community who it seems only write what they WANT to be true, not what actually is true!

For me, on this issue I am CONSERVATIVE! :shock: Yup, CONSERVATIVE! I think the age of majority is just right at 18 and that is when one should be allowed to vote.

There you go! I am now a CONSERVATIVE!

:2funny:

Woohoo! I'm logical!! In all seriousness, I do try to be logical in my arguements. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but at least I try to spell out my views as clearly as I can.

I'm totally on the conservative side of this issue. I agree, eighteen is a great age for voting. That's the age when most young people start leaving the nest and have to really think for themselves, so it only makes sense that it is the age when they can help have a major impact on the nation or even just their local government.

The tax thing made me think. If you have a job or if you're over 18, you should have the right to vote.

If you work and are getting taxed on your part time job at the age of 16, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

If governments tax the citizen regardless of their age, then the citizen should be allowed to vote.

Australianlibertarian said:
If you work and are getting taxed on your part time job at the age of 16, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

If governments tax the citizen regardless of their age, then the citizen should be allowed to vote.

The govt taxes felons and residents of DC, neither of whom have representation...

Loxd4 said:
Damn, straight but put your screwed up on your persent, 99.75% american teenager no absolutely nothing about politics.......and 9.75% percent are tood drugged up to care....the other .50 is the politics leader of america.....that are teens right now....just wait..........you'll see them running in 35 year or so

Speaking of being screwed up on "persents"....

RightatNYU said:
Originally Posted by Loxd4

Speaking of being screwed up on "persents"....

So many other things wrong with that whole post...oh, the horrors.

Maybe we shouldn't allow people to vote if they can't properly spell or use simple grammar...

Stace said:
So many other things wrong with that whole post...oh, the horrors.

Maybe we shouldn't allow people to vote if they can't properly spell or use simple grammar...

I'm all about the literacy tests...stupid SC

RightatNYU said:
I'm all about the literacy tests...stupid SC

Now, now....not all SC schools are terrible. I attended their schools for 7 years, until we moved to MN, where I found I was actually ahead of my new classmates...

And imagine, one of my stepfather's co-workers had told him I would need a tutor to catch up. *scoff*

RightatNYU said:
The govt taxes felons and residents of DC, neither of whom have representation...

Oh, so you're comparing teenagers to criminals who forfeited their right by offending against soicety?

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
**** even if they did lower it how many of them would actually put down the X-BOX controllers, get up off the couch, and get out and vote?

I've found many young Americans that are more informed about the issues of the day than people in this forum.

RightatNYU said:
Regarding that list:

Youth don't have adult responsibilities. They cannont enter legal contracts, are treated as juveniles by the courts, and cannot purchase cigarettes.

The citizens of DC pay taxes too, and they don't have representation, despite being adults.

Lowering the voting age will actually decrease turnout as a percentage because youth vote at historically low rates.

Honestly, 18 should be the age for everything. Drinking, smoking, voting, driving.

I agree. If you're old enough to fight for your country- you're old enough to smoke, drink and vote. Hopefully not in that order.

Why doesn't DC (as in the city, right?) have representation?

If you think about it, even 10 year olds are taxed through Sales Taxes. I agree with the above statements that 16 year olds are not informed enough to vote.. Granted theres quite a few 20 year olds who aren't informed enough either :)

Back
Top Bottom