• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the US Congress have declared the WWI-era events in Armenia a genocide?

Should Congress declare Turkey's actions during WWI a genocide?

• Total voters
The White House.

We are fighting in Iraq for The White House? I have to admit, it's the first time I have heard that one. I'll give you a 10 for originality.:lol:

We can't blame them for what happened that long ago. We could bring the people that were in power to the stand, but that is useless now. Why even bother- could you provide a link, I haven't heard about this.

It's one thing to not blame. But for a government to actually deny that it happened? Give me a break. The Japanese were responsible for some of the most horrendous crimes of WWII. Do we ignore them today? No. We make damn sure they know what they did. Have they stopped being our allies because of it? If Turkey feels they don't want to be our "buddies" because we recognize that they are responsible of one of the most horrible crimes in the last century. Then fvck em. We'll set up bases in Armenia.

The White House.

I can just see it now... we withdraw from Iraq, a bunch of jihadis sneak over on the troop transports, then in the dead of night, sneak into the white house and take it hostage. Rush and O'Reilly make jokes about the liberals taking over the white house. Horrifying, isn't it?

It's completely irrelevant and pointless. Who cares what happened 100 years ago in Turkey, it was a different time and a different government, what's the point of suddenly deciding to call it genocide.

What's next, do we censure Israel for supposedly killing Jesus?

Do you support Holocaust denial? What about denials of the Rwandan Genocide? What about denials of the Mayan genocide?

I can just see it now... we withdraw from Iraq, a bunch of jihadis sneak over on the troop transports, then in the dead of night, sneak into the white house and take it hostage. Rush and O'Reilly make jokes about the liberals taking over the white house. Horrifying, isn't it?

Funny thing is Jhadi's, Rush and Hannity have more politically in common than liberals and Jahdi's

Sudan/Darfur circa today. I can only wonder at Congressional priorities.

Do you support Holocaust denial? What about denials of the Rwandan Genocide? What about denials of the Mayan genocide?

Frankly, all of those are irrelevant too. What happened, happened. If some sad, pathetic individuals want to ignore what happened, so be it. There's little point in making a big deal and "recognizing" that they happened, especially nearly a century after the fact.

If it was such a big deal, we would have "recognized" it when it happened.

As far as I can tell, these are the current members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee...the ones who created this resolution, and are asking the House to vote.

Who frickin' cares...what a waste of time...all these House members should be kicked to the curb. I don't care whether they're Dems or Repubs.

I feel sorry for any of you who have these as your representatives.

My rep is not in there..he has better things to do.

Committee on Foreign Affairs :: U.S. House of Representatives

The Democrats continue to show their idiocy and why they should not be running the country and they should be dealing with domestic issues not trying to muck up foreign relations over symbolic resolutions.

What on earth do they hope to gain?

Are you dumb enough to believe that it was only Democrats who voted on this bill? More partisan bullshit from the 5.

40/50 U.S. states already recognize the Armenian genocide. How much do you want to bet they're not all blue states? ;)

Frankly, all of those are irrelevant too. What happened, happened. If some sad, pathetic individuals want to ignore what happened, so be it. There's little point in making a big deal and "recognizing" that they happened, especially nearly a century after the fact.

If it was such a big deal, we would have "recognized" it when it happened.

See thats the issue. It's some "sad pathetic individual". It's the state of Turkey who doesn't want to recognize it.

Well since we're in a mood of bi-partisanship, 8 former secretaries of state: Colin Powell, Madeleine Albright, Warren Christopher (is he still alive?), Lawrence Eagleburger, James Baker, George Shultz, Alexander Haig and Henry Kissinger submitted a joint letter to House leader Nancy Pelosi warning her that going through with the resolution to declare the Armenian genocide could: "endanger our national security interests in the region, including the safety of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan."

We are fighting in Iraq for The White House? I have to admit, it's the first time I have heard that one. I'll give you a 10 for originality.:lol:

The Dems want us to lose the war in Iraq so they can gain political power and win the White House...................clear now?

The Dems want us to lose the war in Iraq so they can gain political power and win the White House...................clear now?

Yeah we all know the catastrof@ck the Iraq war has become is the result of "Democrat Wishing Power" and not the incompetency of the current administration. Oh the logical fallacies of the 5.

See thats the issue. It's some "sad pathetic individual". It's the state of Turkey who doesn't want to recognize it.

And recognizing it changes what? Does it magically vanish and never happened if Turkey recognizes it?

Hell no, it's a pointless gesture that changes nothing.

No, you still didn't answer my question. What is there to win in Iraq? The White House is in America. Your strawman is silly. We can't win or lose a civil war as an outside party. Whose side are we even on? Referees don't win games.

I guess I don't see anything wrong with recognizing that it was indeed a genocide. But why issue a proclomation condeming it?? And why should current Turkish leaders care if we condemn something that happened 100 years ago? So what?? It changes absolutely nothing yet someone is dumb enough to get pissed off about it, and someone else is dumb enough not to recognize the fact it would piss them off.

The thing is, it already has been recoginized as genocide. I'm not familar with the particulars of this atrocity, but I've read of several refernces to genocide in Armenia at the hands of the Turks. We don't need Congress to make some useless symbolic gesture almost 100 years after the fact. Especially when it runs against our current foreign policy needs.

Bottomline: I don't need Congress to make judgments about history for me, I can do that on my own.

Yeah we all know the catastrof@ck the Iraq war has become is the result of "Democrat Wishing Power" and not the incompetency of the current administration. Oh the logical fallacies of the 5.

What have the Dems done to help our military win, to assure the Iraqi citizens and government we will not leave them at the mercy of the terrorist and to convince the world the cause is right and they should join us? What have the done to convince the terrorist they will not be allowed to win?

Please be specific.

No, you still didn't answer my question. What is there to win in Iraq? The White House is in America. Your strawman is silly. We can't win or lose a civil war as an outside party. Whose side are we even on? Referees don't win games.

No arugement is salient to this discussion yours is not.

As to what there is to win in Iraq, have you not listened to the President and the Generals in charge?

The US House just approved a bill that would officially declare Turkey's actions in Armenia during WWI to be a genocide. Turkey has said that this will have grave consequences on US-Turkey relations.

Do you support the House resolution? Why or why not?

In my opinion, it's a bad idea. Our relations with Turkey are more important than a completely symbolic declaration. Especially since Turkey is already angry at our perceived support for the PKK and other Kurdish rebel groups. This is one country that we absolutely cannot afford to alienate.

I do not support the house resolution, I think the timing is bad mostly for the reason you stated .From what I understand people have been for decades petitioning the US government to declare those events in a act of genocide and just now the government decided to that.So I believe it is a deliberate chicken **** attempt by the democrats to piss off one of our allies so the can derail the Iraq war and or make more costly.

What have the Dems done to help our military win, to assure the Iraqi citizens and government we will not leave them at the mercy of the terrorist and to convince the world the cause is right and they should join us?

Listen George Jr. Jr. our cause was NEVER right when it came to Iraq. We invaded a 3rd world dictator under the pretext that he had WMDs. He didn't. We took his government down. A government which provided at least some relative stability to the region and now have a bee's nest that we have no idea how we're going to get rid of. Save the talking points for somebody who didn't watch the last 4 years of Bush speeches. Or do you believe we'd be worse off if Saddam was still in power?

What have the done to convince the terrorist they will not be allowed to win?

We already won. Our war was with Saddam. If the Iraqis can't get the innitiative to deal with their problems. Then it's not our problem. U.S. Soldiers are not babysitters.

Please be specific.

Please think for yourself for once?

What on earth do they hope to gain?

They desperately hope to gain a loss in Iraq.

Look at their proposed goals over the last few years.
A win in Iraq with a sitting Republican President would be perceived as devastating to the democratic party. I.E. "We cant secure defeat with the last few failed resolutions so lets make it tougher to win by denying the military supply airspace."
Yet another attempt to skin a screeching kitty.

"it is a deliberate chicken **** attempt by the democrats to piss off one of our allies so the can derail the Iraq war and or make more costly."
-jamesrage.......exactly

The US House just approved a bill that would officially declare Turkey's actions in Armenia during WWI to be a genocide. Turkey has said that this will have grave consequences on US-Turkey relations.

Do you support the House resolution? Why or why not?

In my opinion, it's a bad idea. Our relations with Turkey are more important than a completely symbolic declaration. Especially since Turkey is already angry at our perceived support for the PKK and other Kurdish rebel groups. This is one country that we absolutely cannot afford to alienate.

That's our Democrats!

Symbolic gestures are their medium of exchange.

They passed a NON-BINDING declaration against the war. They campaigned last fall on the basis of pulling out of the war in Iraq IMMEDIATE even though they knew it was impossible. They do it so much and so often they've come to think (er, feel) they can just enact symbolic gestures right and left without any consequences.

NOW they have a taste of what their inanity helps bring about. Bloomin idiots.

Listen George Jr. Jr. our cause was NEVER right when it came to Iraq. We invaded a 3rd world dictator under the pretext that he had WMDs. He didn't. We took his government down. A government which provided at least some relative stability to the region and now have a bee's nest that we have no idea how we're going to get rid of. Save the talking points for somebody who didn't watch the last 4 years of Bush speeches. Or do you believe we'd be worse off if Saddam was still in power?

We already won. Our war was with Saddam. If the Iraqis can't get the innitiative to deal with their problems. Then it's not our problem. U.S. Soldiers are not babysitters.

Please think for yourself for once?

Your sig shows how you will do the equivalent of eating the banana peel and throwing the banana away.

I've told you numerous times why we invaded and why it was a good idea. You ignore it and instead just keep posting ignorant nonsense which, I'll admit has the appeal of being negative to the USA and Bush and a major appeal to you is that after 4 years of war you've finally managed to memorize the nonsense.

:roll:

What is at stake in Iraq is the cessation of Iranian hegemony by having a moderate and free Iraq abutting the Jihadist state and it helps us maintain the supply of oil to the world so the Jihadists won't be able to use oil as a weapon.

And the last thing any of you should want is a nuclear armed Iran annexing or occupying or influencing Iraq the way they do Syria.

Back
Top Bottom