• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the US be supporting Ukraine?

Should the US be supporting Ukraine?

• Total voters
WOW, 90% of us are for supporting Ukraine. This is a very good thing. Doubt there has ever been such agreement on anything here on DP.

The present borders are too unstable. What Ukraine needs is a much smaller, ethnically pure Ukrainian state in a smaller space. Ethnic Russians in Ukraine don't want to be part of the ethnic Ukrainian project. They should be able to get out.
They've had that opportunity for years - Russia was issuing passports for any who wanted to come - and didn't take it. Kharkiv is the most "Russian" city in Ukraine, and, you'll note, it fought tooth and nail until the Russians had to withdraw.

Those "ethnic Russian" "Russian speaking" Ukrainians appear to disagree with you very strongly with regards to which country they wish to be part of.

As for the thread, terms are unclear. Yes we should support the Ukrainians in their fight against Russia, no, we should not go to war ourselves, given current conditions.

I have tried to condense the “special military operation” into a simplified analogy.

Let’s say my next door neighbor and I are engaged in a war of sorts. We trade “dirty deeds.” Starts over a verbal argument and escalates to trashing each other’s yards and gets worse as time goes on. If another neighbor or maybe an ally from across town decides to help one or the other of the participants, at what point does the ally become fair game?

should we have supported the Allies in WWII and WWI?........both wars were wars of oppression and and dominance.....Germany in both cases wanted to conquer the rest of Europe......the result was the slaughter and murder of 50 million people......the Japanese did the same with the same intentions......in all cases there was a definite evil, a dictator, that had to be dealt with......Putin and the Russian people by their silence are murdering the citizens of their neighbor nation......in this case NATO nations have to proceed with absolute caution and try to avoid a direct war with Russia.....help the Ukraine in every way possible without direct intervention.......unless we have no choice......

for the sake of the entire world the very best thing that could happen would be the removal of Putin by the Russian people

No Security Council nation is going to agree to set the precedent that a nation can be removed for invading another because it would hurt their own interests. After all, that same precedent could be used to remove America’s seat and veto power the next time we invade some country for dubious reasons.

It’s just not plausible.
I agree, but my point is that Russia and the USSR are not the same nation.

Back
Top Bottom