• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the United States be in NATO

You obviously have difficulty understanding what it means to sign a treaty?
Actually I don't and that is why I think we should get out of NATO. Why should we get sucked into European wars? We should decide on our own on that and have no obligation to get involved.

Actually I don't and that is why I think we should get out of NATO. Why should we get sucked into European wars? We should decide on our own on that and have no obligation to get involved.
So you are an isolationist and would like to help Putin restore his empire and then some. And then we will be safer :rolleyes:

Yeah what would America do without Poland having it's back? LMAO
Are you the type of person who decides whether or not you would come to the aid of a friend based on what they can offer you in return?

I accept your failure to provide any evidence whatsoever that the United States is “legally obligated” when called upon by NATO, to render direct military aid as your acknowledgment of being wrong.
So you think if a NATO country is next we will do the same as with Ukraine?
No.
In case you haven't noticed Biden already sent more troops to Poland.
Poland ain’t Ukraine.

Don't feed the uniformed troll......it is baiting plain and simple

Yeah what would America do without Poland having it's back? LMAO
For your reading pleasure:

Poland has been a major focus of U.S. and NATO efforts to deter potential Russian aggression in Europe. This is due in part to its geographic location on NATO’s eastern flank, providing land access to the Baltic States. Although Ukraine is not a NATO ally, the Russian occupation of Ukraine’s Crimea region in 2014 and subsequent initiation of a separatist war in eastern Ukraine underscored to many observers that NATO allies, particularly those in Eastern Europe, could once again be threatened by Moscow. In response, the United States and its NATO allies have undertaken a number of initiatives to emphasize NATO’s collective defense agreements, thereby assuring allies of their own security while simultaneously deterring Russian aggression. Poland is a critical partner in these efforts.

This should not be hard to understand

Reactions: lwf
Trump was a ****ing moron when he suggested we should get out of NATO.
It's sad to see his hatred for NATO and love of Putin have gone viral.

If Trump supporters were intelligent they wouldn't be Trump supporters.

Biden used the excuse of Ukraine not being a NATO member as the reason we won't intervene. Strategically speaking why is Poland any more important than Ukraine? If we won't defend Ukraine why should we defend Poland? Because their [sic] a NATO member isn't a reason and if we won't defend Ukraine we shouldn't be forced to defend Poland.

Hi, Chainsawmassacre!

An interesting argument. It does not, however, take into account the effect upon a nation's credibility of violating a treaty.

In addition, the situation is more complex than as presented. There is a possibility, level of certainty unknown, that President Vladimir Putin would resort to nuclear weapons in certain situations. The attempt to halt the Russian armed aggression through non-war means is a matter of [Ed.: hopefully,] carefully judged responses.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

Not only should the US be in NATO but Sweden and Finland are seriously considering membership. They would qualify for immediate membership should they ask. That would be a geopolitical blow to Putin that he could not hide from his own people. Questions about Russia fighting some sort of just war in Ukraine would be out the window as the linkage between Putin's attack on a non-NATO country and those two countries joining would simply be impossible to miss.

Not only should the US be in NATO but Sweden and Finland are seriously considering membership. They would qualify for immediate membership should they ask. That would be a geopolitical blow to Putin that he could not hide from his own people. Questions about Russia fighting some sort of just war in Ukraine would be out the window as the linkage between Putin's attack on a non-NATO country and those two countries joining would simply be impossible to miss.

There are some on the right who don't even have a basic understanding of why NATO was formed....

I would argue our presence in NATO is not only unnecessary but detrimental to the organization. NATO should be a European alliance put together to protect itself from outside aggressors.
The super power America should not be automatically drug into these regional conflicts by legal obligations imposed on it by NATO membership. We should independently decide if anything happening in Europe warrants our getting involved.
I would also argue that NATO would be more prone to act if we were not part of it. Right now with Ukraine America can't get militarily involved without risk of triggering an all out nuclear war. These local European countries could send troops to Ukraine and turn the tide in conventional warfare without the same risk. America in NATO is just a Goliath that gets in the way. Our membership has effectively neutered NATO in situations like this.

Yet another Putin fifth-columnist here in the USA.

I would argue our presence in NATO is not only unnecessary but detrimental to the organization. NATO should be a European alliance put together to protect itself from outside aggressors.
The super power America should not be automatically drug into these regional conflicts by legal obligations imposed on it by NATO membership. We should independently decide if anything happening in Europe warrants our getting involved.
I would also argue that NATO would be more prone to act if we were not part of it. Right now with Ukraine America can't get militarily involved without risk of triggering an all out nuclear war. These local European countries could send troops to Ukraine and turn the tide in conventional warfare without the same risk. America in NATO is just a Goliath that gets in the way. Our membership has effectively neutered NATO in situations like this.
Yes.

I'm all for getting out of NATO if we pull all of our troops out of other countries and cut military spending dramatically.

You?

I'm all for getting out of NATO if we pull all of our troops out of other countries and cut military spending dramatically.

You?
One thing you can say for Neo-cons is that their timing is impeccable. If there is an absurd time to try to make an argument, they will find it without fail. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

As we are seeing demonstrate in the Ukraine. NATO is united, the free world is united........huge backfire Putin.
After seeing the large amounts of carnage in civilian areas, I've changed my mind, hell needs to be unleashed on Moscow by the united allies.

So you are an isolationist and would like to help Putin restore his empire and then some. And then we will be safer :rolleyes:
Actually I'd like NATO countries, neighbors of Ukraine to join forces and join the fray in Ukraine. The US can't get involved without risking nuclear holocaust and our presence in NATO is a stumbling block.

Are you the type of person who decides whether or not you would come to the aid of a friend based on what they can offer you in return?
I'm an honest person and am not afraid to say America's role in NATO is one sided. We protect them and they have become dependent on us.

History shows how out of touch and ignorant to understanding what we have all learned from past wars etc.

There are some on the right who don't even have a basic understanding of why NATO was formed....
Typical liberal logic. Stuck in the past. NATO was formed when those European countries were war torn and extremely vulnerable to Soviet expansion. America stepped in and told the the USSR if you attack them we will intervene.
Reagan defeated the Soviet Union and these once vulnerable countries grew and prospered. It's past time they stand on their own feet militarily and quit depending on America. They should police their own neighborhood and should be coming to Ukraine's aid instead of saying you guys aren't in NATO so it must suck being you.

Typical liberal logic. Stuck in the past. NATO was formed when those European countries were war torn and extremely vulnerable to Soviet expansion. America stepped in and told the the USSR if you attack them we will intervene.
Reagan defeated the Soviet Union and these once vulnerable countries grew and prospered. It's past time they stand on their own feet militarily and quit depending on America. They should police their own neighborhood and should be coming to Ukraine's aid instead of saying you guys aren't in NATO so it must suck being you.

I'll bet you would have bitched to high heaven if those same countries would have refused to help in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Back
Top Bottom