• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the United States be in NATO

I would argue our presence in NATO is not only unnecessary but detrimental to the organization. NATO should be a European alliance put together to protect itself from outside aggressors.
The super power America should not be automatically drug into these regional conflicts by legal obligations imposed on it by NATO membership. We should independently decide if anything happening in Europe warrants our getting involved.
I would also argue that NATO would be more prone to act if we were not part of it. Right now with Ukraine America can't get militarily involved without risk of triggering an all out nuclear war. These local European countries could send troops to Ukraine and turn the tide in conventional warfare without the same risk. America in NATO is just a Goliath that gets in the way. Our membership has effectively neutered NATO in situations like this.
Completely bogus argument.

Membership in NATO does not place any demands on member countries to have greater involvement in any conflict/crisis than they would choose to if they weren’t members of the organization.

So far, America’s response to Putin’s illegal/immoral attack on a neighbor sovereign country is appropriate. We are not a “Goliath” getting in the way of other countries.

Reactions: JMR
No. Europe should be feeling really confident after watching Russia struggle to sack a shithole.

They don't need us and we don't need them.
I’m grateful to know folks that think like you are a minority.

OP just come out and admit you're on Russia's side already

Using nukes on your next door neighbor is more problematic than using them on a country on the other side of the planet.
Nonsense. Any use of nuclear weapons anywhere in the world is highly problematic for everyone.

I would argue our presence in NATO is not only unnecessary but detrimental to the organization. NATO should be a European alliance put together to protect itself from outside aggressors.
The super power America should not be automatically drug into these regional conflicts by legal obligations imposed on it by NATO membership. We should independently decide if anything happening in Europe warrants our getting involved.
I would also argue that NATO would be more prone to act if we were not part of it. Right now with Ukraine America can't get militarily involved without risk of triggering an all out nuclear war. These local European countries could send troops to Ukraine and turn the tide in conventional warfare without the same risk. America in NATO is just a Goliath that gets in the way. Our membership has effectively neutered NATO in situations like this.
Every heard the concept of strength in numbers?

I really love right wingers who know nothing about history. NATO was started by the western countries that fought the Germans during WWII and then had to hold the line against the USSR attempts to take over all of western Europe. Surprise, surprise, the USA was one of those countries ad the strongest. It would seem we are still having trouble with Russia, once the dictator of all of the USSR, and its present leader who was a KGB operative during that cold war. I also find it interesting that all of the rightwing lovers of PUtin and dictators want us out of NATO so PUtin can do what he wants in Europe.

US is in NATO to protect their own interest. It is not some magnanimous effort on their part. I safe and free Europe is critical to the American economy. The US did not want to go into Afghanistan alone and make them look like regime changers they are, or were. The troops deployed by NATO we're by no means a token in terms of the size of the NATO countries involved. Iraq was not a NATO initiative.

Last edited:
Given a military alliance which includes an Article 5, the bigger and stronger that alliance is, the less the possibility that any portion of it will be attacked by an outsider.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

Every heard the concept of strength in numbers?
As we are seeing demonstrate in the Ukraine. NATO is united, the free world is united........huge backfire Putin.

The US should demand that the participating members uphold their agreements. You can't have this German crap of not actually having a military while hiding under America's skirts and financially supporting our adversaries. If there isn't uniform support and participation we should get out

I really love right wingers who know nothing about history. NATO was started by the western countries that fought the Germans during WWII and then had to hold the line against the USSR attempts to take over all of western Europe. Surprise, surprise, the USA was one of those countries ad the strongest. It would seem we are still having trouble with Russia, once the dictator of all of the USSR, and its present leader who was a KGB operative during that cold war. I also find it interesting that all of the rightwing lovers of PUtin and dictators want us out of NATO so PUtin can do what he wants in Europe.
Putin is doing what he wants in Europe if you hadn't noticed. NATO has given him the green light to invade any and all non NATO countries.

Point? Unless you want to redefine the language, the meaning of 'token' is disproven by the fact they fought and suffered casualties. I'm not interested in chasing goalposts.
Token would be 1% of troops on the ground.

Putin is doing what he wants in Europe if you hadn't noticed. NATO has given him the green light to invade any and all non NATO countries.
No Trump did......but he certainly knows know what a bad idea that would be.

Given a military alliance which includes an Article 5, the bigger and stronger that alliance is, the less the possibility that any portion of it will be attacked by an outsider.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
Biden used the excuse of Ukraine not being a NATO member as the reason we won't intervene. Strategically speaking why is Poland any more important than Ukraine? If we won't defend Ukraine why should we defend Poland? Because their a NATO member isn't a reason and if we won't defend Ukraine we shouldn't be forced to defend Poland.

As we are seeing demonstrate in the Ukraine. NATO is united, the free world is united........huge backfire Putin.
And Putin has invaded Ukraine.

Completely bogus argument.

Membership in NATO does not place any demands on member countries to have greater involvement in any conflict/crisis than they would choose to if they weren’t members of the organization.

So far, America’s response to Putin’s illegal/immoral attack on a neighbor sovereign country is appropriate. We are not a “Goliath” getting in the way of other countries.
If a NATO country is attacked we are legally obligated to defend it.

You might have noticed he has not attacked a NATO member, andy with what is happening in Ukraine we know why. His military is so weak he is having trouble overrunning a nation that does not have a strong military. Putin will not go against a NATO country as he knows they would eliminate his military in no time at all as the alliance would come after him. And in the end, more nations will join NATO including Sweden and FInland and more of the non aligned state. He has shown himself and his country to be weak and a bully.

If a NATO country is attacked we are legally obligated to defend it.
Guess you answered your own question from post 43.

The Biden haters would love to see the US go into the Ukraine. They would be all over him for having committed to no boots on the ground.

You might have noticed he has not attacked a NATO member, andy with what is happening in Ukraine we know why. His military is so weak he is having trouble overrunning a nation that does not have a strong military. Putin will not go against a NATO country as he knows they would eliminate his military in no time at all as the alliance would come after him. And in the end, more nations will join NATO including Sweden and FInland and more of the non aligned state. He has shown himself and his country to be weak and a bully.
As I said earlier NATO has given Putin the green light to invade any non NATO country. As you say Russia is having a tough time in Ukraine and NATO could come to their defense and turn the tide. Instead they say, must suck being you guys.

Back
Top Bottom