• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the U.S. leave NATO?

Should the U.S. leave NATO?

• Yes, it's obsolete.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No - should stay in for the foreseeable future.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Should gradually phase out of it over several years.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The U.S. has come to the rescue of europeans at least four times in the 20th century. Russia is not a threat - the threats exist, but not in europe. What are we doing there, especially when there are unmet needs elsewhere? I say we should get out - what's your opinion?

I personally want Europe to be resonsible for their own security. But to get rid of entirely the most effective alliance in history? I dont know.

Even though our country is in odds with Europe at the moment, I think we should still stay alligned maybe not for military purposes but rather for tradition. I mean after Europe, who else do we have for supporters? Not the middle East. Perhaps japan. Not china. I dunno I think we should stick together.

FinnMacCool said:
Even though our country is in odds with Europe at the moment, I think we should still stay alligned maybe not for military purposes but rather for tradition. I mean after Europe, who else do we have for supporters? Not the middle East. Perhaps japan. Not china. I dunno I think we should stick together.

The old saying is "Europeans are always there when they need us." Why should we stay in a one-sided relationship?

alphamale said:
The old saying is "Europeans are always there when they need us." Why should we stay in a one-sided relationship?

Did NATO not help the United States in Afghanistan after we were attacked on 9/11? Yes, they did. Granted, it was mostly symbolic support, but that's important. Our NATO allies have helped the United States in every war that they've considered justified, and one can't expect them to do more than that.

NATO is one of the few international security organizations that is still in excellent shape, decades after being created. If anything it should be expanded, perhaps to include other valuable allies like Japan, Australia, and New Zealand (the geography of NATO isn't really important).

Back
Top Bottom