• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the teacher have been suspended.

Should the teacher have been suspended?

• Total voters

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Should the teacher have been suspended.
Yes read the links

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-...ded-after-student-dresses-as-klansman-2018-11

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A southern Missouri teacher who oversaw a history class presentation in which a ninth-grader dressed as a member of the Ku Klux Klan has apologized for a "lapse of judgment" and is suspended indefinitely, the superintendent of the predominantly white district said Tuesday.

The Poplar Bluff student who dressed as a Klansman Friday was playing the villain in a skit about voter suppression during a presentation with other students about the 15th Amendment, Poplar Bluff district superintendent Scott Dill said.

The amendment awarded voting rights to black men. Other groups in the class were assigned other amendments.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tea...klux-klan-member-class-project-182212158.html

According to the superintendent, the student’s group had chosen heroes and villains to present the 15th Amendment, and the KKK costume signified the latter. “We’ve been told that the kid crafted the costume at home without the teacher’s knowledge, brought it to school in a bag, put it on just before the skit, and afterward left it with the teacher,” Dill tells Yahoo Lifestyle.

Over the weekend, as a photo of the student went viral, Dill met with various community leaders, and on Monday, Bishop Ron Webb, a local civil rights activist, accompanied him to school to address students.

Not sure. I would need more background on the guy. Does he have a history of pushing the line on school rules? If so it might have just been the straw that broke the camel’s back. But if he has an excellent record then I don’t think it merits a suspension, at least not a long one. Doesn’t look like any ill intent or racism. The KKK part was the villian part. But maybe the teacher broke rules by not vetting the costumes first or some other rule.

No. Not suspended. It is history and the KKK guy was the villain in the skit.

No. Not suspended. It is history and the KKK guy was the villain in the skit.

It's an America thing. Our current objective is to get rid of any and all history that's no longer politically correct. We're a "woke" nation now and finally realize that people who see and hear things they find objectionable need to be protected lest they end up with life crippling PTSD.

If the lesson was appropriate and he used the costume as a prop to teach, I see no reason to fire or suspend the person. History is not nice. Are we now supposed to completely whitewash it?

Another case of political correctness run amok!
The school board obviously caved to the perpetually aggrieved.
Who would even want to be a teacher anymore?

It's an America thing. Our current objective is to get rid of any and all history that's no longer politically correct. We're a "woke" nation now and finally realize that people who see and hear things they find objectionable need to be protected lest they end up with life crippling PTSD.

It is pathetic... but a correct summation...

Not sure. I would need more background on the guy. Does he have a history of pushing the line on school rules? If so it might have just been the straw that broke the camel’s back. But if he has an excellent record then I don’t think it merits a suspension, at least not a long one. Doesn’t look like any ill intent or racism. The KKK part was the villian part. But maybe the teacher broke rules by not vetting the costumes first or some other rule.

A teaching moment as to why the 15nth was approved.
History of the KKK/Racism and how they ran the South, violently suppressed African Americans, up to and including mass murders

I'm going to say no, but with the option to change my answer if there's more information that we aren't aware of (like the teacher has a history of racist comments, the teacher allowed racist comments from students or anything positive said about the KKK, etc.) This is history being role-played. I see nothing wrong with having both heroes and villains. After all, we're not really teaching history if we sugarcoat it.

In high school I was in a class -- actually my favorite class I've ever taken in my life -- called American Studies. We went through each decade in the 20th century learning about history, pop culture, dances, architecture, etc. We role payed a lot of it. We learned popular dances from a dance teacher, we bought and sold stocks before the Stock Market crash, we created our own radio shows and dressed in costume to role play immigrants coming into Ellis Island. One more role play that I remember distinctly was when we were all Jews with our yellow stars being sent to concentration camps. Students from the drama class were recruited by the teachers to play German soldiers and they yelled at us in German as we walked by. Just like in real life, some of us were sent off to work and some were sent off to die. It was a humbling experience I will never forget.

EDIT -- I also remember the German soldiers were dressed like Nazis including the swastika armbands.

Last edited:
NO. How can you dress as a villain Klansman without dressing like a villain Klansman.
It was a skit for God's sake. You know...play acting? Lighten up!

Does this mean from now on there will no longer be any Nazi costumes in high school presentations of " The Sound of Music "?
This is the same exact thing.

Grow a pair, America.
Reality has no safe spaces.

Personally, if I wanted to ride around at night and burn, lynch, rape and pillage, a white sheet would be THE LAST thing I would want to be wearing.
This should tell everyone how asinine they are.
You can guaran-damn-tee when Bedford Forrest was riding with his troops, he sure as hell was not wearing any damned white bed sheet over his uniform.
Nor was the Yankee cavalry fighting him.

Last edited:
The background information is a bit thin.

As of now, I would say no.

I'm going to say no, but with the option to change my answer if there's more information that we aren't aware of (like the teacher has a history of racist comments, the teacher allowed racist comments from students or anything positive said about the KKK, etc.) This is history being role-played. I see nothing wrong with having both heroes and villains. After all, we're not really teaching history if we sugarcoat it.

In high school I was in a class -- actually my favorite class I've ever taken in my life -- called American Studies. We went through each decade in the 20th century learning about history, pop culture, dances, architecture, etc. We role payed a lot of it. We learned popular dances from a dance teacher, we bought and sold stocks before the Stock Market crash, we created our own radio shows and dressed in costume to role play immigrants coming into Ellis Island. One more role play that I remember distinctly was when we were all Jews with our yellow stars being sent to concentration camps. Students from the drama class were recruited by the teachers to play German soldiers and they yelled at us in German as we walked by. Just like in real life, some of us were sent off to work and some were sent off to die. It was a humbling experience I will never forget.

EDIT -- I also remember the German soldiers were dressed like Nazis including the swastika armbands.

Beats the hell out of reading about names and dates, doesn't it.
Your teacher deserves a medal.
but of course, they could not do it now because none of that would be PC.

I am always amazed at how some modern minds think high school kids are soft little gullible idiots.
They are not. They need to quit "protecting" them from the real world.
Your teacher brought you right into living history.

The teacher is indefinitely suspended for letting a student put on a KKK costume for the explicit purpose of representing a "villain" in a skit about the 15th Amd?

Sounds absurd.

WTH? There has to be more to this story. Seriously, there has to be. If not then....hell, I don't know the appropriate words to say....

Perhaps in the morning there will be more details- if so I will ask Mods to add further links.

It's a situation that should be discussed and dealt with in the classroom. With the whole class.

Hear from other students n the room. What was their reaction and why do they think they had that reaction?

I don't think the teacher should be fired or serve a long suspension. There was no planning or knowledge between teacher and the villain in the skit as to costume. The teacher admitted to poor judgement in allowing the skit to go on

with a kkk costume. There was no ill intent. Hopefully local groups who were offended will just move on after making their point. More harm will be done by making the teacher a villain than was done by the original sin.

I don't think the teacher should be fired or serve a long suspension. There was no planning or knowledge between teacher and the villain in the skit as to costume. The teacher admitted to poor judgement in allowing the skit to go on

with a kkk costume. There was no ill intent. Hopefully local groups who were offended will just move on after making their point. More harm will be done by making the teacher a villain than was done by the original sin.

More than likely due to being threatened with loss of job considering the current climate. I state this because as it stands, with what info we have at the moment, there was no poor judgement. None what so ever.

Obviously the klan can be presented in a play and the 15th is a reasonable setting. In a play about segregation, another example, how could one not include the klan?

However...

Voter suppression = voter ID = republicans = klan?

I believe therein lies the problem. If the play had been "The 15th" instead of "Voter Suppression", I think we have different optics.

Last edited:
It's an America thing. Our current objective is to get rid of any and all history that's no longer politically correct.

Dog whistle.

We're a "woke" nation now and finally realize that people who see and hear things they find objectionable need to be protected lest they end up with life crippling PTSD.

Dog whistle.

Why not just come out and say, "**** black people". That some coward ass sideways BS right there.

Should the teacher have been suspended?

Yes. The teacher showed a gross lack of good judgment in unilaterally opting to allow, lo encourage, a child to don KKK regalia.
  • Failure to aptly construe, analyze and comprehend the situation and the risks it presented and not, therefore, seeking input from superiors prior to moving forward with the production. To put it artistically, the teacher failed to consider that some notions are more suitably represented by impressionism or abstraction than by realism.
  • Undertaking acts that required one's boss(s) to account for one's behavior.
  • Exhibiting the hubris of thinking that of the myriad modes of expression available, and of all the considerations in play, the mode s/he chose to teach the 15th Amendment and its vote suppression origins and effects was anything other than optimal.
Teachers, lo any professional, is permitted periodic solecisms; however, utter disregard for one of the key skills expected of professionals, keen judgment, is no petty faux pas.

Yes. The teacher showed a gross lack of good judgment in unilaterally opting to allow, lo encourage, a child to don KKK regalia.
  • Failure to aptly construe, analyze and comprehend the situation and the risks it presented and not, therefore, seeking input from superiors prior to moving forward with the production. To put it artistically, the teacher failed to consider that some notions are more suitably represented by impressionism or abstraction than by realism.
  • Undertaking acts that required one's boss(s) to account for one's behavior.
  • Exhibiting the hubris of thinking that of the myriad modes of expression available, and of all the considerations in play, the mode s/he chose to teach the 15th Amendment and its vote suppression origins and effects was anything other than optimal.
Teachers, lo any professional, is permitted periodic solecisms; however, utter disregard for one of the key skills expected of professionals, keen judgment, is no petty faux pas.

Just curious -- what is your line of work?

Another case of political correctness run amok!
The school board obviously caved to the perpetually aggrieved.
Who would even want to be a teacher anymore?

Yep. And who would want to be a police person anymore either?

Back
Top Bottom