• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Streamers permit offensive movies to be seen on their platforms?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The other day I watched Holiday Inn on either Netfix or Amazon I can't remember and I started to wonder for how long this kind of stuff will be allowed....this essentially promotion of what is considered sin today.

I mean the whole thing is about Up With America and two guys fighting for the love of one woman...trying to get her to fall in love with them....which is of course straight up abuse of women by Toxic Masculinity now.

****, this thing even has blackface!

:eek:

As a FreeMan I of course say yes.

What Say U?

?

The other day I watched Holiday Inn on either Netfix or Amazon I can't remember and I started to wonder for how long this kind of stuff will be allowed....this essentially promotion of what is considered sin today.

I mean the whole thing is about Up With America and two guys fighting for the love of one woman...trying to get her to fall in love with them....which is of course straight up abuse of women by Toxic Masculinity now.

What Say U?

?

It's from 1942???????????????????????????????????????????

To be fair. You are probably the only one watching it.

It's from 1942???????????????????????????????????????????

To be fair. You are probably the only one watching it.

Being from a different generation didn't save Baby Its Cold Outside or Kiss the Girl from critasism.

What Say U?

?

Should we permit the endless streaming of stupid posts from you?

What Say U?

?

There should be no censorship anyplace.
We are intelligent enough to know what it is when we see it.
If you stop censoring stuff, the blatant offensive behaviors will be out there for all to see.

One a term paper once, I went to the internet searching for the "Boger swing", in my paper about the Nazi war criminal by the same name.
All I found was text. I had to use a foreign source to get the images.

Censorship, I feel is sugar coating the horrors of life and the deviance and sickness of some people's minds.
I say it should be out there in its naked basic form to show us all just how messed up things are.

Remember the shock value "Faces of Death" had on this country?

That being said, this thread is just plain silly.

"What are we offended by today, America"?

Last edited:
There should be no censorship anyplace.
We are intelligent enough to know what it is when we see it.
If you stop censoring stuff, the blatant offensive behaviors will be out there for all to see.

One a term paper once, I went to the internet searching for the "Boger swing", in my paper about the Nazi war criminal by the same name.
All I found was text. I had to use a foreign source to get the images.

Censorship, I feel is sugar coating the horrors of life and the deviance and sickness of some people's minds.
I say it should be out there in its naked basic form to show us all just how messed up things are.

Remember the shock value "Faces of Death" had on this country?

That being said, this thread is just plain silly.

"What are we offended by today, America"?

Given what has taken place in America already the disappearing of movies which offend modern sensibilities is a very real possibility, and this possibility is the opposite of silly.

Given what has taken place in America already the disappearing of movies which offend modern sensibilities is a very real possibility, and this possibility is the opposite of silly.

The poster has made a good point.

1. On the Internet, "certain" websites have been removed because they carry politically incorrect comments.

2. There are some TV shows from the past that can no longer be aired.

3. There is an infamous silent film that cannot be shown except to university students who are studying the history of film.

When the Democrats regain the White House in 2020 (and they will, one way or another), we will see censorship the likes of which even the most pessimistic person could never have dreamed of.

1. On the Internet, "certain" websites have been removed because they carry politically incorrect comments.

3. There is an infamous silent film that cannot be shown except to university students who are studying the history of film.

When the Democrats regain the White House in 2020 (and they will, one way or another), we will see censorship the likes of which even the most pessimistic person could never have dreamed of.

"Our good company with not be associated with this filth" is all the rage now..

How fast and far will this barbarity go?

Sounds like Three Men and a Baby or something equally stupid. So, I wouldn’t watch it.

Maybe nobody wants to watch movies from the 1940s? With Netflix making everything under the sun in 2019, who has the time? :mrgreen:

Maybe nobody wants to watch movies from the 1940s? With Netflix making everything under the sun in 2019, who has the time? :mrgreen:

Maybe we will get told that no one wants to watch the stuff that is no longer available in streaming, stuff that Netflix say decides that they dont want to supply a platform for because it promotes the abuse of women for instance. Then after that there will always be the next thing that you and me are not to watch because it might give is the "wrong" ideas.

Maybe we will get told that no one wants to watch the stuff that is no longer available in streaming, stuff that Netflix say decides that they dont want to supply a platform for because it promotes the abuse of women for instance. Then after that there will always be the next thing that you and me are not to watch because it might give is the "wrong" ideas.

I think not abusing women is a good ideal to uphold.

People who believe that women should not be abused. Not you then?

Movies.......Streaming........Censorship......This is what I am here to talk about, those who want to talk about something else are in the wrong place.

Movies.......Streaming........Censorship......This is what I am here to talk about, those who want to talk about something else are in the wrong place.

There is no censorship to this movie. You are just crying because no one is watching it or wants to watch it with you!

There is no censorship to this movie. You are just crying because no one is watching it or wants to watch it with you!

Yes, I understand that the movie is currently available, I said so in the opening post....I am wondering if this continues to be the case.

Have you had your coffee yet because you seem to be even more off the ball than usual.

Yes, I understand that the movie is currently available, I said so in the opening post....I am wondering if this continues to be the case.

Have you had your coffee yet because you seem to be even more off the ball than usual.

I do not drink coffee.

Possibly, though not necessarily the one he intended. :cool:

That needs clarification. Some websites (or more accurately, domains) are taken down by national authorities for hosting illegal material but not for just anything “politically incorrect”. People running individual websites can and do remove or refuse to include material they don’t want to for all sorts of different reasons, good, bad and indifferent. The owners of that material will retain the right to try to put it on another website or to host the material themselves.

Again, I’m not aware of any TV show that can’t be broadcast just because of “political incorrectness”. There will be plenty of TV shows no broadcaster chooses to show due to either their opinions or their perceptions of viewer opinion. They’ll ultimately show whatever will make them the most money and not show anything that puts their income at risk.

I’ve no idea which film you’re talking about. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it’s either another case of people just choosing not to show it or an specific legal issue rather than just opinion based “political incorrectness”.

The two major parties in the US are, at their core, very similar which is why general policies like this rarely shift very far even when you get a shift in power in government. When purported key issues for each party, like government spending, gun control, the drug war, immigration and the like never see real fundamental change in policy between governments, I don’t see why a less mainstream issue like censorship would change much either.

I’ve no idea which film you’re talking about. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it’s either another case of people just choosing not to show it or an specific legal issue rather than just opinion based “political incorrectness”.

Thank you, Honest Joe, for your comments.

As a veteran member, you are well-acquainted with the posting rules.

As an essentially new member, I have my thoughts concentrated on the rules before I write. I have noticed that "certain" sensitive topics can result in unpleasant consequences. This morning, for example, I saw an interesting thread, but I decided not to contribute to it because the word "banned" was next to the OP's name.

With that in mind, I prefer not to mention the name of that super controversial silent film. I can tell you that if any theater tried to exhibit it, there would be demonstrations (or worse).

I am no student of the film, but it is considered by film historians as the most important film in American movie-making history because of its technical features. The plot of the film is what makes it super controversial. The director is considered the Father of American Film, but his name is taboo because of that one film. P.S. Before the director died in the 1940s, he agreed that the film should NO longer be shown to the general public because it was too hurtful.

Have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom