• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the "no recess" policy be banned?

Should the "no recess" policy be banned?

• Total voters

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is the first I've heard of this. Frankly I think its stupid. Kids NEED discipline and part of discipline is taking away privileges so that they learn that there are consequences for their actions. More and more disciplinary measures are being taken away by people that "think" they're an expert on rearing children. This keeps up and soon there won't be a damn thing you can do to teach your children right from wrong.

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — Although Springfield public schools have banned the use of withholding students from recess as a form of punishment, officials say the age-old practice continues in some schools.

The district established the ban on 'no recess' as part of its wellness program a few years ago because recess keeps children active. Associate Superintendent Ben Hackenwerth, who oversees elementary schools where the 'no recess' practice has long been prevalent, stressed the need to end the punishment during a school official study session Tuesday.

Schools try to implement ban on use of 'no recess'

Hm. They really need to run around and vent some of that pent-up energy if they're going to be able to sit and learn the rest of the day.

As for discipline, well "beat that ass" works fine too. :D

Having no recess is discriminatory against boys. They tend to get into more trouble if they can't work off some energy.

Kids need discipline, despite this touchy-feely kids are too delicate to deal with ideology.

Because of some extreme examples of abusive parental disciplinary behaviors (locking kids in cages, beating them with whips), now parents are being held accountable but can barely use stern words.

Schools are not supposed to replace parents, or be considered day care for working families.

They are supposed to be places kids learn, both educationally and socially.

If a school has no access to any reasonable forms of discipline, like "no recess" for acting up in class...what does that teach children about how to act in social situations?

Last edited:
What are, and how effective are, the alternatives?
I've seen this at both by child's schools, but it was usually "less" recess. And it was mostly boys I agree. My kid never had an issue :)
But since its for minor infractions, I think as long as they come up with something that works, its not a big deal to change.

This cracked me up:
She also said she will occasionally get a call from a parent asking that their child lose recess privileges for poor behavior at home.

I don't think I ever meet a kid where taking things away from them worked all that well.

Voted other.

There has got to be better ways to deal with discipline issues, but on the fence on some general policy on this. It may come down to the kid and the problem itself to know what is a reasonable punishment by a given case. There could be reason to look at taking away recess as a last resort, perhaps the issue itself only occurs at recess.

This is the first I've heard of this. Frankly I think its stupid. Kids NEED discipline and part of discipline is taking away privileges so that they learn that there are consequences for their actions. More and more disciplinary measures are being taken away by people that "think" they're an expert on rearing children. This keeps up and soon there won't be a damn thing you can do to teach your children right from wrong.

Schools try to implement ban on use of 'no recess'
So, you've got a hyperactive little boy not paying attention in class, and you make him stay-in for recess, rather than let him run some of his energy off?

Brilliant! :doh

I don't think I ever meet a kid where taking things away from them worked all that well.

Worked wonders for my boy. He was starting to act up so bad that I took everything out of his room except his bed, pillow, and a blanket and his clothes. Even the stuffed animals that he goes to sleep with at night. Put it all in the back of my van while he was at school. He came home to having nothing. He asked where it all went and I told him I threw it all in the garbage. He was EXTREMELY upset. After about 3 days I gave it all back to him. He has RARELY gotten into trouble since. I did this 3 years ago.

My daughter on the other hand... that don't work. She's more a social butterfly than a material girl. So with her I end up punishing in ways that hurt her social life. She absolutely HATES being alone. So I can usually ground her to her room where she can't interact with anyone and she'll straighten up...for a while at least. Her biggest problem is that she doesn't think before she acts and that tends to get her into trouble. Still trying to figure something out that will last a bit more permanently. Best I can do at the moment is ground her to her room while trying to get her to think before acting.... what can I say, she's a work in progress. :D

It works, and moreso the older they get.

One of the best things I ever done was get my boy a project sports-car for us to race, when he turned 16. After that, anytime I had a behavioural concern with him I lightly alluded to the car being a privilege dependent upon his behaviour, and it worked! I heard feedback from his buddies to this effect!

So, you've got a hyperactive little boy not paying attention in class, and you make him stay-in for recess, rather than let him run some of his energy off?

Brilliant! :doh

Hyperactive boys are actually easy to deal with. The key to them is getting them interested and you can then use that hyperactivity to your advantage.

It works, and moreso the older they get.

One of the best things I ever done was get my boy a project sports-car for us to race, when he turned 16. After that, anytime I had a behavioural concern with him I lightly alluded to the car being a privilege dependent upon his behaviour, and it worked! I heard feedback from his buddies to this effect!

I have never seen it work and against me it just flat out failed to the point where I all could do more or less was sit around and do nothing. I didn't mind sitting around and doing nothing, so that is what I did. I guess it pissed me off at first, but after a while I just didn't care and considered it stupid.

Last edited:
Worked wonders for my boy. He was starting to act up so bad that I took everything out of his room except his bed, pillow, and a blanket and his clothes. Even the stuffed animals that he goes to sleep with at night. Put it all in the back of my van while he was at school. He came home to having nothing. He asked where it all went and I told him I threw it all in the garbage. He was EXTREMELY upset. After about 3 days I gave it all back to him. He has RARELY gotten into trouble since. I did this 3 years ago.

My daughter on the other hand... that don't work. She's more a social butterfly than a material girl. So with her I end up punishing in ways that hurt her social life. She absolutely HATES being alone. So I can usually ground her to her room where she can't interact with anyone and she'll straighten up...for a while at least. Her biggest problem is that she doesn't think before she acts and that tends to get her into trouble. Still trying to figure something out that will last a bit more permanently. Best I can do at the moment is ground her to her room while trying to get her to think before acting.... what can I say, she's a work in progress. :D
Exactly, Kal!

I've got an aunt that's a family-relations shrink, and she described discipline and behaviour modification with kids to be exactly the process we both use: Find what hurts the kid if it's deprived, and make his privilege for that object or activity predicated upon him earning it!

And it works!

My kid's friends even told me he walked the straight-line outside the house, so he could keep driving his car and receive my support in keeping him on the track on weekends!

I have no idea where Henrin got his statement from, but it goes directly against my practical experience as a father.

Hyperactive boys are actually easy to deal with. The key to them is getting them interested and you can then use that hyperactivity to your advantage.
And if you can get them interested in the finer aspects of lawn maintenance and snow removal, all the better! :lamo

This is the first I've heard of this. Frankly I think its stupid. Kids NEED discipline and part of discipline is taking away privileges so that they learn that there are consequences for their actions.
Meaning what, taking away recess is the only way to do this? No.

I don't recall any of my schools denying recess, and there wasn't any more or less of a discipline problem than anywhere else. They could notify parents, do time outs in class, hand out detentions, take away school trips, suspend, even expel.

Taking away the little time kids have for physical activities and getting outside is not a good plan.

More and more disciplinary measures are being taken away by people that "think" they're an expert on rearing children.
And your credentials in this field are...?

Or: The research into these options demonstrates what, exactly...?

This keeps up and soon there won't be a damn thing you can do to teach your children right from wrong.
School discipline options do not cripple parents' options. They can still establish their own standards and methods of discipline. If the parents call the school and ask them to discipline the child, that's an abdication of their responsibility as parents. I see little reason for the school to take on that job.

Meaning what, taking away recess is the only way to do this? No.

I don't recall any of my schools denying recess, and there wasn't any more or less of a discipline problem than anywhere else. They could notify parents, do time outs in class, hand out detentions, take away school trips, suspend, even expel.

Taking away the little time kids have for physical activities and getting outside is not a good plan.

Kids go to school to learn. Not play. If recess was all that important then why is there no recess in high school?

And your credentials in this field are...?

Or: The research into these options demonstrates what, exactly...?

My credentials are being the father of two and essentially raising both of my nieces since their mother was **** at being a parent. That's more qualifications than most "child experts" that don't have children has.

I remember the very few times I was made to sit out recess for acting up in class. Trust me, it worked.

Kids go to school to learn. Not play. If recess was all that important then why is there no recess in high school?

My credentials are being the father of two and essentially raising both of my nieces since their mother was **** at being a parent. That's more qualifications than most "child experts" that don't have children has.

Highschool , and jr highschool is different because.. well unless its all changed in gradeschool you sit in one room the whole day, highschool you go to a class for an hour or so and then you have a few minutes to chat with your friends as you head to your other class in a different room.

Interesting though in that between you and Chomsky and a few others , what is clear is that kids are different and you have to find what works for that kid.

I have never seen it work and against me it just flat out failed to the point where I all could do more or less was sit around and do nothing. I didn't mind sitting around and doing nothing, so that is what I did. I guess it pissed me off at first, but after a while I just didn't care and considered it stupid.

Depends on the kid. I was the kind of kid where making me stay in my room was like throwing the rabbit into the briar patch. But I think kids today are different. I know my kids HATE having their iPad or Xbox privileges taken away and doing so is an excellent form of punishment for them. I think kids get bored more easily nowadays.

:shrug:

It won't matter either way. If it's a child with special needs who's acting out, removing recess or granting recess won't change anything. Token punishments don't teach children why they're being punished for the behavior, it just tells them to stop the behavior. But if they don't learn the why, then that's a complete failure of the school system and the child will never benefit from the experience.

If you want your child to grow up to be a mindless drone who obeys orders and fears punishment, but doesn't know why or know how to creatively think their way out of their own problems, then by all means, keep up the good work!

Depends on the kid. I was the kind of kid where making me stay in my room was like throwing the rabbit into the briar patch. But I think kids today are different. I know my kids HATE having their iPad or Xbox privileges taken away and doing so is an excellent form of punishment for them. I think kids get bored more easily nowadays.

Sure, the approach with children you should take depends on the child and their personality. Still, I remember watching my mother try this early on with children she babysat and it failing pretty badly, and I know for a fact it didn't work for me. Hell, for me it got so bad I didn't even have a bed because my dad got pissed that all I would do was lay there. Well, my weights were taken, my games were taken, my car was taken, my books were taken, my surf board was taken, and god damn everything else, so I'm laying here in the bed because I have nothing to do but sleep. There is a reason I hate my dad and this is pretty much it.

:shrug:

It won't matter either way. If it's a child with special needs who's acting out, removing recess or granting recess won't change anything. Token punishments don't teach children why they're being punished for the behavior, it just tells them to stop the behavior. But if they don't learn the why, then that's a complete failure of the school system and the child will never benefit from the experience.

If you want your child to grow up to be a mindless drone who obeys orders and fears punishment, but doesn't know why or know how to creatively think their way out of their own problems, then by all means, keep up the good work!

I doubt anyone here is advocating NOT telling a child why their being punished.

Sure, the approach with children you should take depends on the child and their personality. Still, I remember watching my mother try this early on with children she babysat and it failing pretty badly, and I know for a fact it didn't work for me. Hell, for me it got so bad I didn't even have a bed because my dad got pissed that all I would do was lay there. Well, my weights were taken, my games were taken, my car was taken, my books were taken, my surf board was taken, and god damn everything else, so I'm laying here in the bed because I have nothing to do but sleep. There is a reason I hate my dad and this is pretty much it.

It never works when babysitting because a babysitter doesn't have complete authority.

The rest I won't comment on as it would be too personal for upstairs talking.

Back
Top Bottom