• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the moderators exercise their ability to remove polls made to insult?

Should moderators exercise their ability to remove polls that are meant to insult?

• Yes - It degrades the ultimate purpose of this site

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Yes - "The right to refuse service" applies just like any other business

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No - What is this...Commie China?!?!

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No - It inhibits the flow of free thought

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Who cares? - quit yer bitchin'!

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
It seems the polls are starting to turn into a game of "who can inflame who the most?"

Most of the time, these polls stem from a legitimate poll, and the responding one is just a cheap shot.

Things like "Should Eurotrash be allowed to enter the United States" and "Should heterosexuals be allowed to enter the USA" do nothing to add to the debate. They are just meant to inflict personal damage.

If you're going to do that...I think you might as well just stay in the original thread intead of spreading it throughout the website.

cnredd said:
It seems the polls are starting to turn into a game of "who can inflame who the most?"

Most of the time, these polls stem from a legitimate poll, and the responding one is just a cheap shot.

Things like "Should Eurotrash be allowed to enter the United States" and "Should heterosexuals be allowed to enter the USA" do nothing to add to the debate. They are just meant to inflict personal damage.

If you're going to do that...I think you might as well just stay in the original thread intead of spreading it throughout the website.

I do not think they are meant to inflict damage, not the "Should Heterosexuals..." anyway. I haven't been in the other one. I think it was meant to be funny and it succeeded.

cnredd said:

Ah, so the "Should we discriminate against all Muslims (oh, let's make that all dark skinned people, cos who can tell the difference)" thread was "legitimate" and not inflammatory?

If moderators did remove offensive threads, they should remove the ones that really are offensive, and not just the ones that offend cnredd.

This isn't about offending, this about posting something directly meant to inflame a certain population...say all muslims are terrorists...or all americans are fat and lazy..something that has been said by two people very lately

Naughty Nurse said:
If moderators did remove offensive threads, they should remove the ones that really are offensive, and not just the ones that offend cnredd.
My point exactly..."offensive" is a matter of degree...The ones that MAY have a legitimate purpose but also may be offensive should stay....But the ones that have a single goal to offend should be removed.

I have no problem if the moderators of this website make that judgement.

Naughty Nurse, you poll to make a point, but come off as offensive. I mean cnredd qouted one of the word 4 word, and anybody has read it that was not a "Homo-sexual" will most likely be offended. It is hard for you to gain allies by potentially offending others.

Take this joke from the Comedian Dave Chapelle:
I was in Mississippi, going to a resteraunt, to order me some food, and I said to the guy, "I would like to have......and before I even finished my sentence he says THE CHICKEN! And I was thinkin WTF. I could not believe it, this man was absolutely right, I said how did he know I was going to get some chicken. I asked him, how did he know I was going to get some chicken. He looked at me like I was crazy, come on budy. He said "We all knew once you open the Godd**m door your going to get some chicken, there is no secret down here that 'Blacks' and 'Chickens' are quite fond of one another." Then I finally understood what he was saying, and I was upset. I wasn't angry I just wasn't ready to hear that *****. All these years I though I like chicken because it was delicious, it turns out I'm genetically predisposed to likeing chicken.
See you assuming everyone is Heterosexual is just as bad as the clerk at the restaurant Dave Chapelle was eating at say that "He was going to choose chicken". Yes both were offensive, and were used to superiority one over the other. But the difference was one was "Racist" and one was "Sexually Preference biased", but hey offense is offensive. Its not my fault if you want to tear down others, I'm just saying it doesn't help give you allies.

In the interests of full disclosure, you should know that NaughtyNurse has self identified in other forums as a homosexual.

stsburns said:
Naughty Nurse, you poll to make a point, but come off as offensive. I mean cnredd qouted one of the word 4 word, and anybody has read it that was not a "Homo-sexual" will most likely be offended. It is hard for you to gain allies by potentially offending others.

See you assuming everyone is Heterosexual is just as bad as the clerk at the restaurant Dave Chapelle was eating at say that "He was going to choose chicken". Yes both were offensive, and were used to superiority one over the other. But the difference was one was "Racist" and one was "Sexually Preference biased", but hey offense is offensive. Its not my fault if you want to tear down others, I'm just saying it doesn't help give you allies.

I completely disagree with this post. The poll about Muslims was more likely to offend. This is because it was serious. The poll about Heterosexuals was only nominally offensive if at all. This is because it was satire. Through the use of satire, the writer was taking the logic of another writer, and applying it. It is immediately apparent that it is satire. Comprehension of what one is reading requires the reader to apply the correct tone and to the piece. With comprehension, the piece is completely non-offensive, except to those who want to be offended by it.

BTW, I voted yes to the poll. Offensive posts should be deleted, but, I qualify as noted above.

Last edited:
It's a political debate site so I think the content should reflect such a thing.

Back to the top to get more opinions....

This is an excellent poll!

Keep your thoughts coming.

We want to be successful, but we value over everything else - freedom of speech. Where should that line be drawn?

All for the deleting of polls with no real debate purpose but to inflame.

This is a private forum. "Freedom of Speech" doesn't mean jack in here really. In all honesty it is perfectly within the right of the site administrator to come in and delete every and any post they would like. However that would be pretty much stupid policy and cause no one to go to the sight ;)

I am amazed sometimes how many people think that PRIVATE web forums are suddenly places beholden to allowing anything and everything to be said over some notion of freedom of speech which doesn't apply to them

vauge said:
This is an excellent poll!

Keep your thoughts coming.

We want to be successful, but we value over everything else - freedom of speech. Where should that line be drawn?

I look back and I'm wondering if I shouldn't of had the "Quit yer bitchin'" as an option. I kinda gave everyone a "cop-out" instead of giving an opinion.

Here's an idea...create a new catagory where NO ONE can create threads, and have the moderators, under a "group discretion" move them into the new catagory...Call it "Partisan Threads" or "Flaming Threads".

I made a serious poll. I asked whether or not we ought to admit Muslims into the U.S. I did that on the basis of empirical evidence that shows that about 99.999999997% of all terrorism in the world is committed by fanatical Muslims. That is an indisputable fact.

If we can't talk about something that is real shall we only talk about that which is unreal or silly, or downright juvenile, such as "what did you do this mornning when you got out of bed?" "And do you love your children?" "Or how about what did you have for breakfast this morning."

If that is the purpose of a political web site, then deal me out. If people feel strongly that controversial issues can't be discussed, then let me suggest another poll. Put one up that says this. "Should Missouri Mule be banned from this site?" Go ahead. It won't offend me. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted.

Missouri Mule said:
I made a serious poll. I asked whether or not we ought to admit Muslims into the U.S. I did that on the basis of empirical evidence that shows that about 99.999999997% of all terrorism in the world is committed by fanatical Muslims. That is an indisputable fact.

If we can't talk about something that is real shall we only talk about that which is unreal or silly, or downright juvenile, such as "what did you do this mornning when you got out of bed?" "And do you love your children?" "Or how about what did you have for breakfast this morning."

If that is the purpose of a political web site, then deal me out. If people feel strongly that controversial issues can't be discussed, then let me suggest another poll. Put one up that says this. "Should Missouri Mule be banned from this site?" Go ahead. It won't offend me. I don't want to be somewhere I'm not wanted.

From one of my earlier posts...it applies here...

...offensive" is a matter of degree...The ones that MAY have a legitimate purpose but also may be offensive should stay....But the ones that have a single goal to offend should be removed.

I have no problem if the moderators of this website make that judgement.

cnredd said:

Despite their original intentions, they may turn into a good debate. Should heterosexuals be allowed resulted in a good debate, and there was a bit of humor involved as well. It may be posted as someone ranting, but you never know what might come out of it.

cnredd said:
I look back and I'm wondering if I shouldn't of had the "Quit yer bitchin'" as an option. I kinda gave everyone a "cop-out" instead of giving an opinion.

I think it is a good option, don't second guess yourself or sell yourself short. The fact of the matter is, if it offended you, "Quit yer bitchin" and debate about why.

[/QUOTE]

HTColeman said:
Despite their original intentions, they may turn into a good debate. Should heterosexuals be allowed resulted in a good debate, and there was a bit of humor involved as well. It may be posted as someone ranting, but you never know what might come out of it.

Am I to understand you're a "No - It inhibits the flow of free thought" man?

cnredd said:
Am I to understand you're a "No - It inhibits the flow of free thought" man?

Nope, I was a "Quit yer bitchin" and debate man. But inhibits flow of free thought is a good answer as well.

Purely inflammatory polls should be removed. But there is a fine line between what is purely inflammatory and what is humor/satire being used to make a point.

jallman said:
Purely inflammatory polls should be removed. But there is a fine line between what is purely inflammatory and what is humor/satire being used to make a point.

And who shall wield the pen to draw this line, good sir? Shall it be ye or shall it be in the hands of the Moderators? Are any of you worthy enough to scribe the boundaries of thought?

(Sry, I had a kingly moment)

jallman said:

That is why I believe the judgement should be left up to the moderators.

If a poll or thread shows up with obvious offensive remarks, maybe the moderators could wait a day or two to see what direction the conversation is going...if it turns into a debate with valid points, great!...If it's nothing but a ****-flinging contest, then off she goes...

cnredd said:
That is why I believe the judgement should be left up to the moderators.

If a poll or thread shows up with obvious offensive remarks, maybe the moderators could wait a day or two to see what direction the conversation is going...if it turns into a debate with valid points, great!...If it's nothing but a ****-flinging contest, then off she goes...

But how will you know who wins the contest?

Back
Top Bottom