• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the moderators exercise their ability to remove polls made to insult?

Should moderators exercise their ability to remove polls that are meant to insult?

• Yes - It degrades the ultimate purpose of this site

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Yes - "The right to refuse service" applies just like any other business

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No - What is this...Commie China?!?!

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • No - It inhibits the flow of free thought

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Who cares? - quit yer bitchin'!

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
LaMidRighter said:
Let's see, yelling fire in a crowded theater, screaming grenade, incitement to violence. I'm sure you can think up a few more on your own.

It goes even further than that....It's when you should censor your own THOUGHTS from coming out of your mouth that these kids can't get through their dome...None of which is a Free Speech issue...

You and your best friend get into an argument where you start to hate each other...Then he dies...

His mother, whose known you since diapers, asks you to say a few words at the funeral. Do you bite your tongue or start out by saying, "He was a rat bastard!"?

Daddy had a one night stand with the secretary, and Daddy knows you know...He begs you not to say anything because it was a "one time" mistake...Is this a "Free Speech" issue?

Your sister "comes out of the closet" to you and asks you to keep it on the down-low....Do you say, " F U!...Don't tell me I can't execise my First Amendment rights!!!!...then run out and tell all of her friends? You're legally correct you know...

See?...Just because you have a RIGHT to do it, doesn't mean it IS RIGHT to do it...

Everything you do and say has consequences....I am legally bound by my First Amendment rights to run through the streets of Harlem yelling "White Power"....Now is that the right thing to do? Even though I have a right to do it?

Last edited:
cnredd said:
It goes even further than that....It's when you should censor your own THOUGHTS from coming out of your mouth that these kids can't get through their dome...None of which is a Free Speech issue...
I can agree with that, tact begets tact in a debate or request, and it is a skill that is being lost among younger Americans.

You and your best friend get into an argument where you start to hate each other...Then he dies...

His mother, whose known you since diapers, asks you to say a few words at the funeral. Do you bite your tongue or start out by saying, "He was a rat bastard!"?
I know some who would take that last opportunity to say one more bad thing about the person, instead of saying the friend was a rat bastard, just say unfortunately, you two had differences in the final years but move on to the good the other person has done, not difficult to do at all.

Daddy had a one night stand with the secretary, and Daddy knows you know...He begs you not to say anything because it was a "one time" mistake...Is this a "Free Speech" issue?
I'm not even touching this one.:lol:

Your sister "comes out of the closet" to you and asks you to keep it on the down-low....Do you say, " F U!...Don't tell me I can't execise my First Amendment rights!!!!...then run out and tell all of her friends? You're legally correct you know...
I agree with this one though, statements made in confidence are among the ultimate in trust issues and should be respected as such.

See?...Just because you have a RIGHT to do it, doesn't mean it IS RIGHT to do it...

Everything you do and say has consequences....I am legally bound by my First Amendment rights to run through the streets of Harlem yelling "White Power"....Now is that the right thing to do? Even though I have a right to do it?
Nothing to add here.

It gets really frustrating getting this point home...

"Why are you trying to stop her?

Me - "I'm not...she has a right to say things, I just think she's a jackass for saying it."

"Well why are you trying to squash her right to free speech?

Me - "I said I'm not...What she saying is wrong...Not the fact that she is saying it. It has nothing to do with free speech."

"Well why can't she be allowed to say what she wants?"

Me - "I said she is ALLOWED to say things....It's WHAT she is saying that I disagree with"

"Well telling her to stop is wrong...She has the right to...."

Me - "ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!"

If the polls are so offensive then either ignore them or vote against the offensive position. The internet is the only medium available now where any question can be asked, no matter how offensive it may seem. And why do I think cnredd is responding to the "Bush is a War Criminal" poll rather than those derogatory to Muslims and Gays.

Do you think you'll hear these questions asked in the mainstream media except perhaps in Ann Coulters column, I say let freedom reign, it IS a free speech issue and asking moderators to remove "offensive" polls is like asking Murdoch to run News Corp. in exactly the way he does, confine the debate only to questions that are acceptable, not those which are relevant.

We should be fighting speech control on the internet tooth and claw, not asking for it. The ultimate purpose of this site should be to encourage debate shut out of the mainstream media, ask the questions they wouldn't ask, not mimic their tight editorial control and their narrowing of the confines of debate.

Last edited:
Originally posted by cnredd:
Every post you've ever written....
I do like to be consistant.

Originally Posted by LaMidRighter:
Let's see, yelling fire in a crowded theater, screaming grenade, incitement to violence. I'm sure you can think up a few more on your own.
Kinda like the bombing campaign under the cover of "no fly zone" enforcement.

ban.the.electoral.college said:
Everyone knows there are consequences for the example stated above. The person has the right to yell fire. It is not illegal. It may however be inappropriate when you are watching a movie. If you do this, you know a) someone might kick your ass OR b) you'll probably be kicked out of the theater

That's a local matter to be resolved by the policy of that particular business.

However, If you are saying that government legislation should be passed to try and limit the dumb a s s effect, then you would be leaning way to close toward the nazi end of the spectrum.

PS - I can say whatever I want about cnredd. I could care less if anyone thinks less of me for dissing cnredd. I think it's about time someone told him the truth. He's flamed me plenty of times. So just consider it karma. You don't have to act as his body gaurd all of the time do you?

As LaMidRighter (i believe) said earlier the "Clear and Present Danger" does limit your freedom of speech. You'll find that most of our rights are limited by laws to protect others rights. For example, you can say whatever you want to a crowd, unless it starts a riot. You can protest however you want, but it must be peaceful. Look at this analogy. You have the right to swing your fist, but that right stops where someone else's face begins. Meaning your right to swing your fist is limited by the other person's right to safety. You can't hit them in the face.

LaMidRighter said:

I see your point. Although, it depends on severity of the reaction. If someone causes the theater to evacuate, then I can see the police being called. But if someone is simply acting inappropriately, then they will probably be asked to leave. Again it depends on the policy of the particular theater or business.

Personal insults should not be allowed and should be immediately removed. Polls made to insult a public figure and that are clearly specious should be removed also.

Stinger said:
Personal insults should not be allowed and should be immediately removed. Polls made to insult a public figure and that are clearly specious should be removed also.

And furthermore, anyone found insulting the government, its establishment, or any government figure should be "removed". Resistance to the gov't or any show of personal freedom is dangerous and cannot be allowed.

(BTW, I'm being sarcastic)

Stinger said:

People who think distasteful posts should be removed, should have their posts removed.

I see your point. Although, it depends on severity of the reaction. If someone causes the theater to evacuate, then I can see the police being called. But if someone is simply acting inappropriately, then they will probably be asked to leave. Again it depends on the policy of the particular theater or business.
I do agree to an extent, naturally some will exercise rights in bad taste and it could lead to an innocous result, but if this speech does result in harm then it should result in some form of punishment, either civil or criminal.

People who think distasteful posts should be removed, should have their posts removed.

28 people disagree with you by voting "Yes" to this poll...which is a majority of those who voted...

cnredd said:
28 people disagree with you by voting "Yes" to this poll...which is a majority of those who voted...

But we (his majesty and myself) have said "No" so the others don't matter.

HTColeman said:
But we (his majesty and myself) have said "No" so the others don't matter.

One more and you got yourself a trinity...:lol:

LaMidRighter said:
I do agree to an extent, naturally some will exercise rights in bad taste and it could lead to an innocous result, but if this speech does result in harm then it should result in some form of punishment, either civil or criminal.

Yes, I do think that if someone, for example, yells "fire" in a theater and consequently a young child is trampled and injured, then the accused should stand trial.

To what extent should they be punished? I suppose that depends on the judge.

So freedom of speech I suppose has limitations depending on the place and time it is being exercised.

You are free to say what you want, as long as what you say does not produce physical injury as a side effect. You are free to speak your mind as long as you are not encroaching on an establishments written policy.

I think freedom of speech is an exquisite concept. And I thank the founding fathers for declaring our right to use it. Even if it does mean putting up with arguments you would rather not hear. Censorship is the greatest evil of all.

So freedom of speech I suppose has limitations depending on the place and time it is being exercised.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what your saying is we don't have free speech, we're just free to say whatever we are allowed to say? Funny, but that actually sounds like the opposite of free speech to me.

The fact of the matter is in most states if you yell fire in a theatre or yell bomb in airport or plane the end result will be encarciration either way. No matter if there were physical injuries. This happened at Lindberg field here in san diego. That person was sentenced to 9years in a federal prison. And I soon found out about restrictions on other speech.

Your absolutley right. No one has never ever had total free speech casue if this occured it would actually be a negative factor. Its like if president Bush stoop up and said that the 9/11 attacks were great and that there should be more of them and he said he would give any terrorist visas to our country. Now, that was speech which was his opinion. Should he have the right to say that? No casue like you said it brought about the threat of either harm coming to people or the clear and present danger of a threat to people.

Now a exclamation of a bomb or a fire could bring about a person getting trampled or something else could happen negatively. THATS WHY THE GOVERNEMNT UNDERSTANDS THIS, and is why it is illegal to do such things although it is your free speech. I hope this is making sense. Do you understand ban the electorol college? I am with you that we should have free speech but at the same time it needs to be in moderation in certain times and areas.

Yeah, Skils. Good exploration on the topic. These are the things we take for granted and forget about in our day to day lives, because as sane people we could not fathom saying such an irresponsible and inappropriate comment in a public place.

On the topic of that person getting 9 years, well that sounds a bit extreme. I am guessing someone must have been seriously injured as a result.

freethought6t9 said:
So what your saying is we don't have free speech, we're just free to say whatever we are allowed to say? Funny, but that actually sounds like the opposite of free speech to me.

Well, you're still free to say what you want... If you are willing to bear the consequences. If you want to yell bomb on an airplane, well that's your bag. But, don't expect to reach your intended destination. And if someone gets injured as a result of what you said, be ready to get sued out of existence and be sleeping with a large dangerous inmate.

I think that when we think of free speech, we think of something much less sinister. So, we often overlook these extreme cases.

Recently, I heard the word NI double G ER was illegal. Anyone know if this is true or not?

On the topic of that person getting 9 years, well that sounds a bit extreme. I am guessing someone must have been seriously injured as a result.

No actually, it was becasue the airline companies lost some 800million dollars becasue there weere no flights the entire rest of that day. Which in the worlds eyes is far more important than peoples lives. Remember, ban the elcoral college, its all about money not peoples safety or lives. Public places dont put signs of caution becasue they care for your health; its becasue they dont want to lose money in a lawsuit.

Recently, I heard the word NI double G ER was illegal. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Yes, you say this in any public place expect a lawsuit and jail time for being racist. However, I think in Alabama there schools teach the word under history class. So I think its all in perspective how you use it. Now if you are using it to teach history then ok. But if you are calling someone that name then its obviously wrong.

To me its just terminology. We as a nation have used other terms like:gouks(referring to mainly vietnamese but also other orientals), skinnies(referring to somolians), and redman(native americans).

If someone called me white trash I wouldn't care. Thats your opinion and your entitled to it. Just be ready for karma to set in, :lol:

SKILMATIC said:
No actually, it was becasue the airline companies lost some 800million dollars becasue there weere no flights the entire rest of that day. Which in the worlds eyes is far more important than peoples lives. Remember, ban the elcoral college, its all about money not peoples safety or lives. Public places dont put signs of caution becasue they care for your health; its becasue they dont want to lose money in a lawsuit.

Yes, you say this in any public place expect a lawsuit and jail time for being racist. However, I think in Alabama there schools teach the word under history class. So I think its all in perspective how you use it. Now if you are using it to teach history then ok. But if you are calling someone that name then its obviously wrong.

To me its just terminology. We as a nation have used other terms like:gouks(referring to mainly vietnamese but also other orientals), skinnies(referring to somolians), and redman(native americans).

If someone called me white trash I wouldn't care. Thats your opinion and your entitled to it. Just be ready for karma to set in, :lol:

Last time I checked, It wasn't illegal to be racist or even to state your racist opinion. I agree, It's distasteful. But, still I think that's going to far to say that you can get jail time for saying the word in question. In fact, you can frequently hear the word booming from vehicles with oversized stereo systems. You can walk into Best Buy and purchase a CD where the word is used like it's going out of style... Are you sure it's illegal to say _igger?

In fact, you can frequently hear the word booming from vehicles with oversized stereo systems. You can walk into Best Buy and purchase a CD where the word is used like it's going out of style... Are you sure it's illegal to say _igger?

VERY WELL PUT STATEMENT. However, those cd's and music you speak of doesnt say the word ni@@er is says nigga which is different. Also the 2 words mean different things. Nigga although sounds real close to ni@@er means "dawg, homie, holmes, friend, buddy, pal, etc." However, ni@@er means a direct conotation to referring to a black slave or black individual. Now although it may seem not illegal to say sucj words or profess your racism to the world doesnt mean there have been legal actions pursued against individuals for such behavior.

YES, THERE MAY NOT BE A DEFINING LAW STATING YOU CANT SAY NI@@ER BUT BELEIVE ME THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU WONT GET PUNISHMENT IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Well, I don't care what the law says on the matter. As much as I dislike the word, and feel guilt over the post-slavery black situation, I think it is anti-american to outlaw words. I think the dirty looks and ass kicking you'll recieve by using the word inappropriately are punishment enough. In fact, I like to know who is a bigot and who isn't. It helps you know where people stand.

Back
Top Bottom