• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the KKK Confederate mural on Stone Mountain, Georgia be destroyed?

• Yes, it is government property. Destroy it.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • No, but close the park permanently.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No, it is history. Plaques could tell the true history

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters
In 1915 a mural of Jefferson Davis - President of the Confederacy, Robert E Lee - Confederate General, and Stonewall Jackson - also a Confederate general - was carved into Stone Mountain, Georgia. This is considered the birthplace of the Ku Klux Klan. Cross burning rituals were performed there from 1915 thru 1958, when the State of Georgia purchased/took the property. The site has been owned by the State of Georgia ever since. In 1965 it was opened as a state park and is the #1 tourist destination in the state.

Should the State Of Georgia continue to operate a state park that markets a memorial to the president and generals of the Confederacy, which fought a war to preserve slavery and establish a permanent slave nation?

[FONT="]STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. (FOX 5 Atlanta) - Stone Mountain Park will be closed Saturday due to security concerns.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#353E47][FONT="]The Stone Mountain Memorial Association put out a statement late Friday announcing the closure. The release reads:[/FONT]

[FONT="][I]“The Stone Mountain Park Police Department will be closing the park to the public tomorrow, Saturday, February 2, 2019. No vehicles or pedestrian traffic will be allowed into the park. Only hotel and campground guests will be allowed entry and exit through the park gate.”[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#353E47][FONT="]
[/FONT]

[FONT="]A white supremacist group had petitioned to rally at the park this weekend due to the significance of the site and its proximity to the Super Bowl this weekend. Those permit requests were denied, but rumors lingered there would be a gathering despite those denials.
Police: Stone Mountain Park to close Saturday - Story | WAGA

[/FONT]

I almost picked option 3 but then you included the phrase, "could tell the true story", as if people are "telling stories about the KKK trying to smear their good name" :)

Nice try :)

They didn't fight to enslave humans. Since you don't have a basic grasp of history, your vote on the issue is null. Slavery was an economic system which the South was moving away from anyway due to the industrial revolution replacing the need for forced labor with automation. The Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery within the Union and also exempted all border states. The Civil war was over who would control the new country, since if the Union lost there would be no Union at all as it couldn't pay for itself. The Civil War was about economic viability so of course, the Union won given its technological advancements.

Have you read the confederate individual state constitutions?

it was about slavery. Period. It was enshrined into their constitutions.

It is easy to connect free labor to economics, but it's ****ing stupid.

And that is perfectly acceptable, if it is indeed your house and your property.

But I do not think it is an appropriate action for states (by which I mean national governments) to erase the more unsavory (or outright horrific) parts history of their country's history on state property to try engage in some kind of post-hoc moral cleansing. To take the German example, German de-Nazification was a sad joke. The vast, vast, vast majority of willing participants in the Nazi German military and bureaucracy who engaged in aggressive war and genocide were never punished and simply reentered society and some taking the very same positions they had held when they had a swastika arm band. But most people who have only been given a shallow education on the issue thought that it was somehow a grand success. Simply stripping the swastika arm bands and blowing up some Nazi monuments did not erase the wicked actions that so many hundreds of thousands of Germans took, and so many millions more watched on with with a satisfied complicity.

Except this isn't a historical artifact, it was arbitrarily created in 1965. If we managed in 2020 after a blue wave to build a giant Nancy Pelosi statue in every major US city, would you defend never, ever, under any circumstances tearing it down? If you dare take it down you are trying to white wash history and are basically the Taliban.

Except this isn't a historical artifact, it was arbitrarily created in 1965. If we managed in 2020 after a blue wave to build a giant Nancy Pelosi statue in every major US city, would you defend never, ever, under any circumstances tearing it down? If you dare take it down you are trying to white wash history and are basically the Taliban.

No, RabidAlpaca. I would not. I would find it annoying, but if a majority of elected officials across the United States used the public money to commission statues of Nancy Pelosi up on public land, I would not find it so offensive that my only response would be iconoclasm.

Yes, you're demanding we continue to glorify southern traitors, I assume because you ideologically sympathize with them. Show me where it's required for a nation to keep all statues and monuments until the end of time. Change happens, we re-evaluate our priorities. Get over it.

I'm not Egyptian or Italian, that's up to them. Also, comparing the pyramids to something that was created in 1965 is ridiculous.

It's not a historical marker, it was made in 1965, 100 full years after the traitors lost. You're basically saying that if we manage to get a giant Nancy Pelosi statue erected on top of the White House, we should be barred from taking it down, permanently, until the last star in the universe dies out.

And your second paragraph is too stupid to address.

It was made in 1915, not 1965. :roll:

Have you read the confederate individual state constitutions?

it was about slavery. Period. It was enshrined into their constitutions.

It is easy to connect free labor to economics, but it's ****ing stupid.

It was about other things, too.

You don't read much history, but when you do, you cherry pick the hell out of it. Right?

If so, the statutes of Nancy Pelosi should stay up.

It was about other things, too.

You don't read much history, but when you do, you cherry pick the hell out of it. Right?

It was about slavery. Every Article of Secession explicitly stated it was.

Where'd you study history? Pep Boys?

No, RabidAlpaca. I would not. I would find it annoying, but if a majority of elected officials used the public money to put statues of Nancy Pelosi up on public land, I would not find it so offensive that the only response would be iconoclasm.

So as soon as a statue is put up on public land, no matter what it is or why it was created, it instantly becomes a timeless historical artifact that should never, ever be touched? You're being dramatic. This isn't a historical artifact, it's just something some dudes created like a 100 years after the civil war. It has no historical significance of any kind. Calling this "iconoclasm" is more than a little melodramatic. You know damn well you'd support replacing the Pelosi statues as soon as the political pendulum swung the other way.

Things change and so do priorities. Something being a mural or monument does not mean it deserves protection forever.

If so, the statutes of Nancy Pelosi should stay up.

Bahahahahahahaha...

It was made in 1915, not 1965. :roll:

Started in 1915, actually finished in 1965.

It was about slavery. Every Article of Secession explicitly stated it was.

Where'd you study history? Pep Boys?

It states other reasons, too.

Be sure and use a fall arrester while you're picking those cherries.

No, it's actually best to exterminate the Klan like the human filth they are.

Nothing psycho about that. It sure as hell isn't hypocriical. :lamo

The KKK was formed after the civil war by southern democrats.

If liberals managed to erect gigantic Nancy Pelosi statues in every major city in America, you'd argue that the statues should never be touched for thousands of years? Removing a bad piece of art does not make everyone the Taliban. You hyperbolize because you know how stupid it is to pretend something some assholes put up in 1965 should be eternal.
:lamo

Liberals have statues of their commie heroes in this country and you dont see people ****ting themselves about their existence.

Lets just be honest...you and me. The reason why you want to tear down those statues is because you are a piece of **** hate filled narrow minded twat that is driven by your hatred of people that arent you. You lack the capacity and reason to recognize that while people are radically different in their ideology, people from the south were and are NOT all a bunch of hate filled racist slave owners. Not everyone that supported the south then was driven by slavery. Not everyone that believes today in a proud southern heritage today is racist.

But you arent driven by north or south or the ideologies of the north or the south. You arent even bright. You are driven by nothing more than your pure idiotic left vs right, conservative vs liberal, democrat vs republican idiocy. Anything THEY stand for, you must be against. Anything that they are against, you must be for..and you arent even ****ing smart enough to know why. Thats how ****ing pathetic you people are. That why the politicians on the left know they can whip idiots like you into a frothy frenzy over statues and monuments from the confederacy 150 years ago. You ****ing morons are so stupid you will ignore the day to day violence, crime, poverty, and general collapse everywhere the democrats are in control and will instead grab your pitchforks and chisels and protest and tear down statues and monuments and works of art. Because it CANT be the policies of the left that RUN every major in the city where those problems exist. It cant be decades of blind support for leftist policies that created the ****holes in Newark, Detroit, Chicago, etc...it must be a monument carved into a mountain in Georgia and a confederate flag. .

You are a simple minded idiot masquerading as a pompous know it all ****. And you cant even do that right.

And thats not even the bad part. The truly sad part is as evidenced every day on this site...your numbers are growing. And at some point, your idiocracy will present a sizeable majority. The government will be run by your new icons...your new heroes. Pelosi will leave...but she will be replaced by an army of the Hank Johnsons and Ocasio Cortezs of the world...dumbasses put in power by people like you.

Then the real fun will start.

Do you have a point? Or, do you accept the fact that you can't break my argument?

I have yet to see an argument.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 143621-004-6AA30747.jpg
    143621-004-6AA30747.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 88
You don't destroy history. You leave it as is and educate the populous as to why it's so horrific.

I am sure the "red hats" will try to make a shrine of it. Awful folks.

:lamo

Liberals have statues of their commie heroes in this country and you dont see people ****ting themselves about their existence.

Lets just be honest...you and me. The reason why you want to tear down those statues is because you are a piece of **** hate filled narrow minded twat that is driven by your hatred of people that arent you. You lack the capacity and reason to recognize that while people are radically different in their ideology, people from the south were and are NOT all a bunch of hate filled racist slave owners. Not everyone that supported the south then was driven by slavery. Not everyone that believes today in a proud southern heritage today is racist.

But you arent driven by north or south or the ideologies of the north or the south. You arent even bright. You are driven by nothing more than your pure idiotic left vs right, conservative vs liberal, democrat vs republican idiocy. Anything THEY stand for, you must be against. Anything that they are against, you must be for..and you arent even ****ing smart enough to know why. Thats how ****ing pathetic you people are. That why the politicians on the left know they can whip idiots like you into a frothy frenzy over statues and monuments from the confederacy 150 years ago. You ****ing morons are so stupid you will ignore the day to day violence, crime, poverty, and general collapse everywhere the democrats are in control and will instead grab your pitchforks and chisels and protest and tear down statues and monuments and works of art. Because it CANT be the policies of the left that RUN every major in the city where those problems exist. It cant be decades of blind support for leftist policies that created the ****holes in Newark, Detroit, Chicago, etc...it must be a monument carved into a mountain in Georgia and a confederate flag. .

You are a simple minded idiot masquerading as a pompous know it all ****. And you cant even do that right.

And thats not even the bad part. The truly sad part is as evidenced every day on this site...your numbers are growing. And at some point, your idiocracy will present a sizeable majority. The government will be run by your new icons...your new heroes. Pelosi will leave...but she will be replaced by an army of the Hank Johnsons and Ocasio Cortezs of the world...dumbasses put in power by people like you.

Then the real fun will start.

No, liberals don't actually have such statues.

Not even remotely surprising that you support honoring traitors and treason.

Back
Top Bottom