• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the Governor of California commute Tookie Williams Death Sentence?

Should the Governor of California Commute Tookie Williams death sentence?

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Tookie Williams is scheduled to be executed for the murder of 4 people tonight in California...............Should the Governor commute his sentence to life in prison without parole?

No.
He murdered 4 people. Whatever else he may have done, he must pay for that.

Of course not, that would be a slap in the face to every person whom has lost a friend or loved one to a senseless murder.

I just heard on CNN that the Governor has denied his request.......

There is justice in this world..........

Well I'm against the death penalty in ALL cases (and therefore think all death sentences should be commuted), but I don't really see anything special about this case.

He may have truly changed his ways and the way he has spent his time in prison would attest to that, but it doesn't change his guilt or innocence of the crimes. Also, he has refused to admit his guilt in the murders he's committed.

I voted "no" despite my wish for all death sentences to be commuted, because I'm assuming you're asking if this case is any different than any other death row case.

What is the purpose of the death penalty? If it is to punish people who have done horrible wrongs, the sentence shouldn't be commuted. If the purpose of the death penalty is to deter people from committing those crimes, its a matter of what would be more efficacious: killing a convict to show the repercussions of that crime, or an outspoken inmate who advocates against it.
Liberal that I am, I voted for commuting.

Can anybody commute the death sentences that he handed out?

Bye Tookie.....:2wave: :2wave: :2wave:

I wonder how much of a deterrent televised executions would be? It could be the next new wave of reality TV!

Back
Top Bottom