• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Fed's continue to raise interest rates?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Fed raised the interest rate, hiking to the range of 2% - 2.25%. President Donald Trump said Tuesday he’d like the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates.

If the Fed continues to raise rates people will be mad. If they don't raise rates people will start to worry that the economy is slowing down.

I say continue to raise rates because the economy is strong. It is showing no signs of stumbling in the short-term. Raises rates and the stock market will recover.

Fed raised the interest rate, hiking to the range of 2% - 2.25%. President Donald Trump said Tuesday he’d like the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates.

If the Fed continues to raise rates people will be mad. If they don't raise rates people will start to worry that the economy is slowing down.

I say continue to raise rates because the economy is strong. It is showing no signs of stumbling in the short-term. Raises rates and the stock market will recover.

Cut the baby in half. Just raise the rates once a year till we are at equilibrium.

Screw the stock market. Under Trump's economic plan, Wall Street is irrelevant. It is not the driving force. That now belongs to Main Street.

These rate increases only hurt Main Street. Why, it's almost as if the Fed is doing it on purpose.

One consistent factor in Trump's fiscal actions/preferences is playing close to the edge with few options for recovery if things go bad very quickly.

Cut taxes and increase the deficit during a time of economic growth.
Call for a decrease in already low interest rates.
Play chicken with China.
Et cetera.

The Dow and the S&P are negative for the year. The Nasdaq is up .07%. Companies are coming down from the sugar high of the tax cuts. And Trump keeps dancing on the edge of the cliff.

The Fed is faced with an unenviable challenge. I figure they'll hold steady.

We the Fed is owned by 6 Zionst Jewish Families,So the answer is YES

One consistent factor in Trump's fiscal actions/preferences is playing close to the edge with few options for recovery if things go bad very quickly.

Play chicken with China.
Et cetera.

The Dow and the S&P are negative for the year. The Nasdaq is up .07%. Companies are coming down from the sugar high of the tax cuts. And Trump keeps dancing on the edge of the cliff.

If you are a trader or investor then the current downturn of the market just means its a sale. I d like to see it move down some more and then get a nice solid floor in place for the next run.

They feel like they need room to maneuver when the down-turn gets here, what they dont understand is that it will not matter, the depression is coming...there is nothing that can be done to stop it, it we are way too late now.

SAD

Play chicken with China.
Et cetera.

no doubt stocks have had a great run since the bush depression but it has run its course. time for a correction.

trump wanted that 4% GDP and got it with tax cuts for the rich and corporations and injecting a trillion dollars a year of borrowed money into the economy.

fed sees that kind of growth and want to cool it down with interest rate hikes.

interest rate hikes hurt main street. housing and all the other big ticket consumer products.

will the fed overreach and throw us into recession?

will they get it right for a soft.landing?

will trump throw more gasoline in the fire in 2020?

It should be tied to the true inflation rate. And your basket needs to include everything from the grocery bags to the toy isle to the book rack.

Its a no for me. I am stuck in a adjustable rate mortgage. Had it for 13 years and the rate has never gone up but I'm starting to worry. I do think the Fed knows what it is doing.

• Yes, because, for savvy investors, it'll make for a nice little set of "buy-sell" windows before, during and after the increase.
  • No, because with all the friggin' debt we'll now have to assume due to Trump's tax cuts, our interest payments will, on new debt, be higher than it is on extant debt, thus increasing the national debt.
So, we should (1) borrow as much as we need to for the foreseeable future and then (2) increase interest rates.

Red:
Of course, he did. The Fed, or anyone with any actual deep economics knowledge wants to go one way, Trump will, as a matter of course, want to do the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom