• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the democrats include legalizing cannabis in their 2020 platform?

I guarantee you everything you said after:

"....just the opposite when they are in power."

...went right over his head. He didn't read it, he didn't see it, he didn't process it.

Imagine a conversation in real life with people like him for a moment.

I don't doubt it.

And to answer the original question. I don't drink or use marijuana.
I would prefer to see marijuana legal than alcohol. I don't know why it would need a federal framework. Just classify it the same as alcohol and allow states to do what they want with it.

I have seen more violence and horrific things from people drinking alcohol than I have marijuana.

pfft, Federal politicians can't even agree on what color the sky is, depending on what party affiliation says its blue, you tell me Congress is going to be able to come up with a Federal Framework for the distribution and sale of Marijuana when a hard floor of probably around a third of the country is going to go completely off the rails because they've been told their whole lives its the stuff of the devil.

Fox will do wall to wall programming that will rival reefer madness and will paint those attempting to legalize it as communist infiltrators hell bent on turning Americas children into couch prone zombies.

Could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet against me on this one.

If betting means investing in companies aiming for it, I might just. A bit... a bit...

Because yes, they'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

For the record, I've always been something of a lightweight where pot is concerned.
People have always laughed at me for my low tolerance.
Apparently my metabolism was cut out for other things but where pot is concerned, it's always been a matter of whether or not a single bong hit would do me in.
And it usually did, rendering me the equivalent of every funny stoner poster you can imagine.

And even today, for me, one little itty bitty hit is all I need, I'm a cheap date, I guess.

And no, I've never gotten behind the wheel in anything but a completely sober state of mind.
I just don't do it and never have, never will.

Bit of alcohol is not a problem.

Smoking, then alcohol can be a mellower.

If you're **** faced though, and then you smoke a doobie, you're gonna be toast, at best you might pass out, at worst you will become a projectile vomiting monster that loses all basic motor functions.

Yep...as I said...can be an issue. Always burn first, drink later!! ;)

I'm not saying they need to highlight it because it does cause too many people with brain death to come to life and complain. What I am suggesting is every democrat should make it a part of the platform. It is a big issue for many people. Wouldn't it be better for the dems to claim the issue instead of folks like john boehner who was against it the whole time he was in congress and now works for a pot company. The R's are in it for the money they can potentially make on the issue. I say don't let them hijack the issue and spin it to their favor.

I am unsure what you mean by legalize. It should be removed from the schedule 1 drug list. Cannabis does not meet the criteria to be a schedule 1 drug. Hillary ran on removing it from the schedule 1 list.

Well, the thing is, the Feds are fighting a losing battle, and having the Feds continue to create this mess is not going to turn the tide in their favor. Eventually ALL FIFTY STATES are going to legalize the weed one way or another and by 2024 I wager it will enjoy FULL legalization in 45 states or more.

Are the Feds going to continue their Harry Anslinger nonsense if ALL FIFTY states legalize it?
They need to just give up on this because sanity and the facts won the war, a war that they're wasting valuable funds on that could be put to good use elsewhere.

So marijuana IS being legalized on a state to state basis but the Feds need to finally admit that pot is no big deal and they need to announce that the war is over and allow states to do business in weed as they see fit, just like ALCOHOL.

It's over...you dumb Feds, it is OVER.

I dont see some of the Southern States legalizing. But watch Florida in 2020, there is big push for another ballot initiative. In 2014 it failed by 2 points.

I am unsure what you mean by legalize. It should be removed from the schedule 1 drug list. Cannabis does not meet the criteria to be a schedule 1 drug. Hillary ran on removing it from the schedule 1 list.

Get the federal government out of the pot business, take it off a schedule one drug and let states do as they please.

I dont see some of the Southern States legalizing. But watch Florida in 2020, there is big push for another ballot initiative. In 2014 it failed by 2 points.

If 40 to 45 states go the legalization route, which I am betting they will, it's pretty clear that the Feds are fighting a war for no reason, and wasting taxpayer money. There is no question that once we have even reached the majority where we're at right now, continuing the federal pot war BECOMES the TEXTBOOK definition of the so called "swamp".

We don't need to waste another $300 Bn over the next ten years to realize that either. The truth is staring the Feds right in their face. It won't be very long before a majority in Congress just decides to force the hand of the Fed into dropping their nonsensical campaign.

oops, you forgot one thing like arrest all hysterical Trumpers and ship them all off to Russia to live so they could get a better understanding of why we've been warning you that Russia is a threat and not our friend.

I forgot to mention that Trump has angered American leftists by opposing their man in Venezuela, Maduro, Putin's man also.

See that right there is why every sane person should be very afraid of people like you.
You know that slippery slope they are always talking about it's all the things they would do just the opposite when they are in power.
Criminalize all drugs. Militarize the police, build walls everywhere, legalize nutjobs having guns, force women to have kids, criminalize anything other than missionary sex in every bedroom, force religion and conservatism on everyone
Then the Republican oligarchs can despottly rule in lush bliss and brutality.

Do leftists not:
1. Advocate legalizing drugs?
2. Advocate no border walls?
3. Advocate no meaningful security measures be inserted into our voting process?
4. Advocate abolishing ICE?
5. Advocate emptying prisons and reducing sentences for several types of crimes?
6. Advocate changes in the Constitution and Bill of Rights which would favor the progressive leftist agenda over traditional American values?
7. Advocate the overthrow of the Trump presidency?
8. Advocate the legalization of sexual immorality and perversions?
And so forth?

I forgot to mention that Trump has angered American leftists by opposing their man in Venezuela, Maduro, Putin's man also.

okay, well..... you simply don't know what you're talking about. As a matter of fact, your comment is so completely devoid of any fact, logic or common sense that I'll just ignore them in the future.

The map tells you all you need to know.
Few if any states still take pot criminality seriously anymore.

Pot map.jpg

If 40 to 45 states go the legalization route, which I am betting they will, it's pretty clear that the Feds are fighting a war for no reason, and wasting taxpayer money. There is no question that once we have even reached the majority where we're at right now, continuing the federal pot war BECOMES the TEXTBOOK definition of the so called "swamp".

We don't need to waste another $300 Bn over the next ten years to realize that either. The truth is staring the Feds right in their face. It won't be very long before a majority in Congress just decides to force the hand of the Fed into dropping their nonsensical campaign.

Oh I am 100% behind your post. There are still dry counties in the South left over after the end of prohibition, as such I can see a few Southern State's hanging on to their cannabis prohibition laws. The horse is well and truly out of the stable, there is no going back.

Do leftists not:
1. Advocate legalizing drugs?
2. Advocate no border walls?
3. Advocate no meaningful security measures be inserted into our voting process?
4. Advocate abolishing ICE?
5. Advocate emptying prisons and reducing sentences for several types of crimes?
6. Advocate changes in the Constitution and Bill of Rights which would favor the progressive leftist agenda over traditional American values?
7. Advocate the overthrow of the Trump presidency?
8. Advocate the legalization of sexual immorality and perversions?
And so forth?

1. Yes marijuana, sure their might be some on the fringe that wanna legalize everything....should I make the rights fringes your entire platform?
2.No...sensible border security with barriers in places where necessary, not 5th century walls where you force landowners to give up their land. And on all borders especially those that terrorists are coming in.
3. Security measures sure like paper ballots, no more no record of vote bull****. Oh and maybe actual criminal charges for a candidate that hires a known felon to steal votes (see north carolina).
4.Abolish ice? Maybe .....isn't it the right that says government is to big? Nothing in DHS could handle the duties of ICE?
5. Yup and seems like lots of Republicans agree with this one...not sure what your problem is with it.
6. I have no idea wtf your talking about so cant answer that one...sounds like something the right wants to do to further intervening church with state.
7. No...overthrow. Remove from office by vote or by other means the constuition has offered the American people...yes
I though the right loved the constitution?
8. Not my business what someone does in their bedroom...gotta go read the constuition where it says government can and should determine what immorality & sexual perversion is.

Oh I am 100% behind your post. There are still dry counties in the South left over after the end of prohibition, as such I can see a few Southern State's hanging on to their cannabis prohibition laws. The horse is well and truly out of the stable, there is no going back.

You know, Leon Russell always made people laugh when he would talk about how he wound up with his stage name.
He was born and raised as Claude Russell Bridges, or simply Russell Bridges.
But around the time he wanted to go out on his own, he ran up against some legal issues.

He said that at the time he first started around fourteen or fifteen,

"Oklahoma was a dry state back when we started, and since there wasn't supposed to be any liquor, there weren't any liquor laws, so there was a lot of clubs where people would go and drink for 24 hours a day. (laughter) The police didn't pay any attention. It was a wide-open town."

"So I was quite surprised to go to California at 17 and find you had to be 21 to play in nightclubs. I about starved to death! I borrowed IDs, and then I could work - till they changed the doorman at the club I was playing at."

And consequently, one of the ID's he borrowed had the name "Leon Russell", and it stuck.

okay, well..... you simply don't know what you're talking about. As a matter of fact, your comment is so completely devoid of any fact, logic or common sense that I'll just ignore them in the future.

What are you trying to say, Trump is supporting Putin's guy or not?

1. Yes marijuana, sure their might be some on the fringe that wanna legalize everything....should I make the rights fringes your entire platform?
2.No...sensible border security with barriers in places where necessary, not 5th century walls where you force landowners to give up their land. And on all borders especially those that terrorists are coming in.
3. Security measures sure like paper ballots, no more no record of vote bull****. Oh and maybe actual criminal charges for a candidate that hires a known felon to steal votes (see north carolina).
4.Abolish ice? Maybe .....isn't it the right that says government is to big? Nothing in DHS could handle the duties of ICE?
5. Yup and seems like lots of Republicans agree with this one...not sure what your problem is with it.
6. I have no idea wtf your talking about so cant answer that one...sounds like something the right wants to do to further intervening church with state.
7. No...overthrow. Remove from office by vote or by other means the constuition has offered the American people...yes
I though the right loved the constitution?
8. Not my business what someone does in their bedroom...gotta go read the constuition where it says government can and should determine what immorality & sexual perversion is.

I voted for Trump because I did not like how Hillary and her political friends and associates were handling issues like these and others. Contrary to idiot assertions I did not vote for Trump because he was widely reported to be some sort of ungodly *****grabber. Lots of politicians are ungodly but we must vote for important issues in spite of their personal sins.

I voted for Trump because I did not like how Hillary and her political friends and associates were handling issues like these and others. Contrary to idiot assertions I did not vote for Trump because he was widely reported to be some sort of ungodly *****grabber. Lots of politicians are ungodly but we must vote for important issues in spite of their personal sins.

That's great for you, and that's your choice as an American.
I voted against Trump because he was the antithesis to every thing I stand for. I am in no way a Hillary supporter but I had to vote against Trump and if the Republicans had chosen almost anyone other than him they would have gotten my vote.
Sorry Trumps "personal sins" had nothing to do with my vote against him.

That's great for you, and that's your choice as an American.
I voted against Trump because he was the antithesis to every thing I stand for. I am in no way a Hillary supporter but I had to vote against Trump and if the Republicans had chosen almost anyone other than him they would have gotten my vote.
Sorry Trumps "personal sins" had nothing to do with my vote against him.

You did the right thing to vote for your choice for whatever reason. I admit I regret having to vote against attractive individuals who for whatever reason support harmful policies I find totally unacceptable.

I'm not saying they need to highlight it because it does cause too many people with brain death to come to life and complain. What I am suggesting is every democrat should make it a part of the platform. It is a big issue for many people. Wouldn't it be better for the dems to claim the issue instead of folks like john boehner who was against it the whole time he was in congress and now works for a pot company. The R's are in it for the money they can potentially make on the issue. I say don't let them hijack the issue and spin it to their favor.

Fake news. Trying to scare conservative voters to stay with Putin's GOP.

You did the right thing to vote for your choice for whatever reason. I admit I regret having to vote against attractive individuals who for whatever reason support harmful policies I find totally unacceptable.

I have no idea what "attractive individuals" has to do with any thing. As someone that considers themselves very conservative you had no other choice but to vote Trump. When you go to far whether right or left you lose some brain matter. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom