• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

should the burning of holy books , national flags be banned ?

should the burning of holy books , national flags be banned ?

• Total voters
They are simple people and by burning the US flag is the only way they can protest..

That is certainly not the only way they protest.

To those who hold things close to their heart, the burning is violence..

Holding things a little farther from your heart and a little closer to your brain is called civilization.

If you burn a book ( even religion books ) on your own property its alright but on public grounds it should be banned

Holding things a little farther from your heart and a little closer to your brain is called civilization.

burning a flag or book doesnt seem to be rational action l think

But suppressing our emotional reactions in response to acts aiming at stoking emotional reaction is most rational.

I would not be happy, if someone were burning an American flag, or a Polish flag, or the complete works of Friedrich Hayek in front of me. But why yield to a provocation?

Last edited:

Why not? Burning symbols is a legitimate form of protest. It's just cloth or paper going to ashes. What about it bothers you so much? It's not any worse than penning a strongly worded diatribe against an ideology or person. As a matter of fact, the written word can often be a lot more provocative and result in very strong reactions from readers.

Absolutely not.

Freedom of speech is much more important than those who take it to extremes.

I would argue that any form of book burning is by it's very nature taking it to extremes.

It seems funny to me that a full 10% actually replied yes as they post freely on a public debate site. Wow, freedom of speech for some not all? However I would also like to protect the right of any soldier who wanted to kick the ass of a flag burner.

it doesnt seem different than witch hunt to me.

every kind of violence caused by extremists ,bigots and haters causes provocations in a society and creates its opposite

OK by me. Just be sure all military base bulletin boards and al Quedork bulletin boards post the scheduled burnings. That will help scheduling as they arrange to show up and lend a bit of inspirational impromptu martial art demonstrations or explosive moments to enliven the burnings.

In your infinite wisdom, can you tell us why ***** Riot was jailed?

That was in Russia. They don't live by our Constitutional rights.

That was in Russia. They don't live by our Constitutional rights.

Do you think it's because they are simple-minded like the people you described earlier?

l didnt say he could burn your bible

can he burn his own bible while you are praying ?

Not in the church. Burning things in closed premises is forbidden... by the fire department. :lol:

If one burns his/her own Bible under the blue sky, then that's OK.

Absolutely true...
But we have a billion of them who are not nearly as civilized...and we must live with them....and they with us.....
With our knowledge we should know these things.....
Had we, no Patriot Act , no 9-11-01

Absolutely true...
But we have a billion of them who are not nearly as civilized...and we must live with them....and they with us.....
With our knowledge we should know these things.....
Had we, no Patriot Act , no 9-11-01

Jeepers maybe if we stopped the people who burn Korans (which is one so far), they would just leave us alone?

:rofl Please, that's just an excuse. They hate us for many reasons.

IYO, are there any limits on the 1st amendment, such as yelling fire in a theatre, or burning these books in a Muslim neighborhood?
Why not lessen the number of fire-starters? My Air Force Dad would cry when he saw the flag burned, after what he saw in his career.
Jeepers maybe if we stopped the people who burn Korans (which is one so far), they would just leave us alone?

:rofl Please, that's just an excuse. They hate us for many reasons.

IYO, are there any limits on the 1st amendment, such as yelling fire in a theatre, or burning these books in a Muslim neighborhood?
Why not lessen the number of fire-starters? My Air Force Dad would cry when he saw the flag burned, after what he saw in his career.

This is not yelling fire in a crowded theater. It is symbolic and hurts nobody. We are a secular nation, and our laws don't concern themselves if someone's freedom of expression offends someone else's sensibilities.

And the people who are to blame are the people who start the actual fires.

every kind of violence caused by extremists ,bigots and haters causes provocations in a society and creates its opposite

Ideas are more important than the symbols that represent them. Should we ban defacing symbols just because a vocal minority can't help but deface those symbols...no. Ultimately, people that deface symbols do so because the power of the idea is too great to deface and/or they are stupid enough to become subservient to an opposing idea...it is an expression of impotence and/or ignorance.

And the people who are to blame are the people who start the actual fires.

Are you referring to the people who start the fires burning the books?
Etched in my mind are Muslim women giving out a war-cry in delight after 9/11.
Is it necessary to stoke the fire in this day and age?
The insistence on archaic language from 1789 makes no sense to me in Present Moment Awareness.

No, it should be part of your freedoms and freedom of speech to burn a flag or holy book so long as it belongs to you and you aren't burning it in a way that causes danger (like having a mass burning in the streets or something)

Are you referring to the people who start the fires burning the books?
Etched in my mind are Muslim women giving out a war-cry in delight after 9/11.
Is it necessary to stoke the fire in this day and age?
The insistence on archaic language from 1789 makes no sense to me in Present Moment Awareness.

No, I'm referring to the ignorant dumb asses who actually kill people because of it. We cannot coddle these people and make sure nobody in our country offends them. That is just stupid and giving into their demands. Good Lord! Wake up!

No one else is to blame for them killing people over a burnt book.

You get the last word to me on this thread.
No, I'm referring to the ignorant dumb asses who actually kill people because of it. We cannot coddle these people and make sure nobody in our country offends them. That is just stupid and giving into their demands. Good Lord! Wake up!

No one else is to blame for them killing people over a burnt book.

Absolutely not. Maintaining an atmosphere which facilitates the spriti of religion requires freedom of action and thought. To require observance of religious artifacts and texts as off-limits, via law, relegates religion into the realm of totalitarianism and authoritarianism, which is not religion at all, but is an attempt to control hearts and minds by force. THat is the problem when there is no distinction between religion and politics.

No, of course not.

Absolutely not. Those are expressions of speech, protest, and dissent. As such they must be upheld, not banned.

Back
Top Bottom