• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

should the burning of holy books , national flags be banned ?

should the burning of holy books , national flags be banned ?

• Total voters
but criticism of a religious belief may be presented in more civilized ways

if the ones who protest it claim to be more civilized

You need to distinguish between an idea and a person. The truly civilized person is able to control their emotions when an idea is attacked. It is the uncivilized who can't.

You need to distinguish between an idea and a person. The truly civilized person is able to control their emotions when an idea is attacked. It is the uncivilized who can't.

gardener

yes a civilized person should control himself

he burns a book it means he cant

A ban should not ever even be considered let alone enacted

come on

it is just a paper!!!!!!

If the Bible belongs to the person, then they have every right. You can't destroy someone else's property.

BUT, NOT our American flag.
I guess this make me a hypocrite.
We , and the Islamics, need a good shot of sensitivity.
A "better people" will not go around burning things , including people...
Remember the 1600s ?
A better people will respect other people and the things they hold dear...
My vote was " I do not know"...
I think a law against disrespect is something too difficult to enforce....
A better people is a better answer..
Is this so hard ?

Last edited:
civilized ones dont burn anything either

civilized west shouldnt act like those who have inferior culture >?

you know what l mean

such images seem so psychotic

images

Not to me, they don't. What is truly psychotic is posting youtube videos of beheadings. Or issuing fatwas against writers or cartoonists. Or calling for the murder of as many people as possible just because someone lit a stupid book on fire.

If the Bible belongs to the person, then they have every right. You can't destroy someone else's property.

l didnt say he could burn your bible

can he burn his own bible while you are praying ?

Sure. But I'm guessing the church leaders would toss him out.

Not to me, they don't. What is truly psychotic is posting youtube videos of beheadings. Or issuing fatwas against writers or cartoonists. Or calling for the murder of as many people as possible just because someone lit a stupid book on fire.

Those things are all about keeping the people in power in power. The circus part of the bread and circuses.

There is this tiny thing called the First Amendment. (Not that our rights mean much anymore though)

because it is not just a paper

No, that's not why I'd want him kicked out. He would be disrupting services.

Books aren't holy. Objects aren't holy. Holiness isn't found in tangible things.

BUT, NOT our American flag.
I guess this make me a hypocrite.
We , and the Islamics, need a good shot of sensitivity.
A "better people" will not go around burning things , including people...
Remember the 1600s ?
A better people will respect other people and the things they hold dear...
My vote was " I do not know"...
I think a law against disrespect is something too difficult to enforce....
A better people is a better answer..
Is this so hard ?

You think? I think a little less "sensitivity" about such things is in order. :roll: You cannot expect to be sheltered from offensive actions. You want to make being offensive against the law? Ridiculous.

Nope. They're just paper. Nothing "holy" about paper.

There are those in this world who think other-wise , Islamics for one, extremists for another.

Sensitivity is the answer...for both sides.

There are those in this world who think other-wise , Islamics for one, extremists for another.

Sensitivity is the answer...for both sides.

I agree that people should be sensitive to other people's beliefs. You shouldn't burn a Bible, Koran, etc. but it also shouldn't be illegal.

Burning a book is not an act of violence. It is a symbolic form of expression which has existed since BC times.
To those who hold things close to their heart, the burning is violence..

l am not religious ,nor conservative,l am more like sociaL democrat

and maybe thats why l think this way

It isn't violent. It might be considered offensive. That is all. The reaction to such things is what you should be condemning.

Unless of course you think that burning a book is deserving of death.

civilized ones dont burn anything either

civilized west shouldnt act like those who have inferior culture >?

you know what l mean

such images seem so psychotic

images

Passing judgement on others ....are We not ??
We may be more civilized that "they' are, but We are NOT completely civilized.

Passing judgement on others ....are We not ??
We may be more civilized that "they' are, but We are NOT completely civilized.

What are you talking about? Are you actually excusing murder?

What are you talking about? Are you actually excusing murder?

They are simple people and by burning the US flag is the only way they can protest..

Best not !
Both parties, rather than praying and burning should be studying the words respect and sensitivity.

When this is held close to the heart:

"Believers, if you yield to the infidels they will drag you back to unbelief and you will return headlong to perdition. . . .We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. . . . The Fire shall be their home" (3:149-51).

or this:

"Those that deny Our revelation We will burn in fire. No sooner will their skins be consumed than We shall give them other skins, so that they may truly taste the scourge. God is mighty and wise" (4:55–56).

or this:

"[We] shall let them live awhile, and then shall drag them to the scourge of the Fire. Evil shall be their fate" (2:126).

and the instructions are this:

"Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. But you may hate a thing although it is good for you, and love a thing although it is bad for you. God knows, but you know not" (2:216).

then such a response is certainly understandable.

Back
Top Bottom