• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Bald Eagle still be the National Emblem of the United States?

Should the Bald Eagle still be the National Emblem of the United States?

• Yes

Votes: 30 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Ben Franklin called the bald eagle "a bird of bad moral character."

If we had an actual vote, I am not sure the Bald Eagle would win. If we are honest, the Bald Eagle shouldn't even be around anymore. It took my laws passed to save the species from
extinction.

Among the bird species, here are a few that might be better than the bald eagle:

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

Be nice to see an eagle with hair once and awhile

Should The Star-Spangled Banner be the national anthem?

After we change the national anthem we can work on a new national emblem.

If we had an actual vote, I am not sure the Bald Eagle would win. If we are honest, the Bald Eagle shouldn't even be around anymore. It took my laws passed to save the species from
extinction.

Among the bird species, here are a few that might be better than the bald eagle:

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

So...you give 2 reason why the Bald Eagle should not be our national bird:

1. Franklin's opinion.

2. Their brush with extinction.

Here is a History Channel program about the bird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W-Q7NNtSAA

1. Back in Franklin's day, the Bald Eagle...in fact, all eagles...were considered vermin. So Franklin's opinion isn't surprising. Eagles, back then, tended to hunt the settler's livestock.

2. It was our own actions that caused the Bald Eagle to almost go extinct. It was our action that saved the bird.

So yes...it is my opinion that the majestic Bald Eagle remains our National Bird.

They are majestic badass mother****ers. They rule the skies. I say hell to the yes.

1. Franklin's opinion.

Here is a History Channel program about the bird. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W-Q7NNtSAA

1. Back in Franklin's day, the Bald Eagle...in fact, all eagles...were considered vermin. So Franklin's opinion isn't surprising. Eagles, back then, tended to hunt the settler's livestock.

2. It was our own actions that caused the Bald Eagle to almost go extinct. It was our action that saved the bird.

So yes...it is my opinion that the majestic Bald Eagle remains our National Bird.

Wow, we agree on something. I must quickly bathe.:lamo

Considering the Babylonian and Egyptian rulers in the Bible were characterized as eagles, it's probably a fitting symbol...:2razz:

1. Franklin's opinion.

Bald eagles, and I've seen lots and lots of them, are scavengers. They occupy the same ecological niche as vultures. Yeah, they've been known to scoop up live prey but nearly every time I've seen an eagle rise off the ground it was because there was roadkill. I had to slow down to avoid rear-ending one that was having trouble getting airborne off a dead deer in the ditch. I've seen them in dozens hopping around on the river bank squabbling over scraps of spawned-out salmon, too fat to fly. I've seen ravens drive them away from their perchs in the trees. There's nothing majestic about those birds, just judging them by behaviour.
But they do look impressive. And most of the duchys, principalities and kingdoms in Europe had eagles as their emblems so it's understandable that the budding Americans would want one too.

They are majestic badass mother****ers. They rule the skies. I say hell to the yes.

Not here. Ravens drive them away whenever they intrude. They're vultures, judging them by behaviour.

extinction.

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

To suit the times we should select a vegetarian victim bird, the weaker and dumber the better.

Eagles are good symbols. They're strong powerful birds.

Eagles are good symbols. They're strong powerful birds.

I agree however the Golden Eagle can fly as fast as 200 mph. The Bald Eagles can't break 100 mph.

bird-deer_2094466c.jpg

extinction.

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

"It took my laws passed to save the species from extinction"

I have been on here since 2005 and have seen some dumb stuff posted on here over the years, but has to be a top 5.

They were at risk of extinction due to DDT. Moreover, DDT almost killed off the other birds you listed. Peregrine Falcons, Ospreys, and virtually all North American Eagle species were endangered in the 50s and 60s due to DDT. They all "took my laws passed to save the species from extinction".

BTW, the Golden Eagle is the national bird of....wait for it.......MEXICO

Last edited:
Franklin wanted a turkey.

i wondered if someone would point that out.

as for the topic of the OP, i would vote to keep the bald eagle, even though it spends most of its time looking humorless and angry. in some ways, that's fitting. however, it's a majestic animal that any nation would be proud to have as an emblem.

i wondered if someone would point that out.

as for the topic of the OP, i would vote to keep the bald eagle, even though it spends most of its time looking humorless and angry. in some ways, that's fitting. however, it's a majestic animal that any nation would be proud to have as an emblem.

I've had the honor and pleasure of seeing a Bald Eagle in flight close up just south of Pueblo, Colo. Hell yes those magnificent creatures should be kept as our national emblem.

extinction.

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

I would go with the Golden Eagle.

"It took my laws passed to save the species from extinction"

I have been on here since 2005 and have seen some dumb stuff posted on here over the years, but has to be a top 5.

They were at risk of extinction due to DDT. Moreover, DDT almost killed off the other birds you listed. Peregrine Falcons, Ospreys, and virtually all North American Eagle species were endangered in the 50s and 60s due to DDT. They all "took my laws passed to save the species from extinction".

BTW, the Golden Eagle is the national bird of....wait for it.......MEXICO

It is the Golden Eagle (like you said) but the Mexicans that I know consider it the Caracara.

mountain bluebird would be a good choice given we are a twitter nation.

[B said:
Hawk[/B]eye10;1069665633]To suit the times we should select a vegetarian victim bird, the weaker and dumber the better.

I nominate the HAWK I Do.

extinction.

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

bald eagles are awesome, even though some refuse to stay bald

Be careful what you wish for. Once we abandon the Bald eagle, what's to say we can't change again every couple of years? Same with the National Anthem or even the Pledge of Allegiance. No one will agree on the new versions, and will reject whatever is adopted. In practice, we will have dozens of versions. Before long, we have nothing in common. We become Balkanized. A collection of separate subgroups each with it's own beliefs, values and culture. Maybe that's where we're headed. If that's the case, the South did win the Civil War after all.

The bird of the Confederate States of America was a choice unsettled and never quite resolved.

Louisiana promoted its own state bird the pelican.

Others wanted the golden eagle but as has been pointed out this eagle is the national bird of Mexico.

So despite a lot of bird brained work down there their best minds were unable to get their project off the ground.

IMG_0029%20a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom