• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the Bald Eagle still be the National Emblem of the United States?

Should the Bald Eagle still be the National Emblem of the United States?

• Yes

Votes: 30 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ben Franklin called the bald eagle "a bird of bad moral character."

If we had an actual vote, I am not sure the Bald Eagle would win. If we are honest, the Bald Eagle shouldn't even be around anymore. It took my laws passed to save the species from
extinction.

Among the bird species, here are a few that might be better than the bald eagle:

Golden Eagle
Western Osprey
Peregrine Falcon
Harpy Eagle

I envision no needful reason to change at this point in time!

Bad moral character? Simply for his occasional theft of fish from other lesser birds that did all the work to secure the fish? That sounds very much in line with the moral character of what made America great!

At least the bald eagle is the real thing.

russiandoubleheadedeagle.jpg

Russian doubleheaded eagle.

Similar to dragons, quite a few countries have double-headed eagles as their national animal. The double-headed eagle is usually linked with the Byzantine Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Russian Empire and their successor states. It's a bird that bothers you even if you do leave it alone. It's a bird, it's a plane, it's an empire and it sh!ts everywhere it goes.

Top National Animals That Aren’t Really Real – #TravelTuesday

Imagine a world where dragons, double-headed eagles and flying horses are the national symbols of countries. Yeah, like Game of Thrones, I hear you thinking. But no, my friends. In this day and right on Planet Earth, there are many countries with a national animal straight out of fantasy stories. Case in point: Scotland. National animal: The Unicorn. And wait till you see North Korea’s official noble beast….

Top National Animals That Aren’t Really Real – #TravelTuesday – JHR Group Blog

ht_chollima_cover_image_nt_130905_16x9_992.jpg

Chollima Horse, national animal of North Korea.

The national animal of North Korea is the flying horse Chollima (which is similar to Pegasus, the horse with wings). It's a bird, it's a plane, it's chollima.

Cool-Chinese+Dragon+Wallpaper+HD+background+HD.jpg+(3).jpg

The Chinese dragon is the main animal symbol of China.

Chinese dragons are legendary creatures in Chinese mythology and Chinese folklore. The dragons have many animal-like forms such as turtles, fish, and imaginary creatures, but they are most commonly depicted as snake-like with four legs. In yin and yang terminology, a dragon is yang and complements a yin feng huang ("Chinese phoenix").

Cool-Chinese+Dragon+Wallpaper+HD+background+HD.jpg+(5).jpg

Chinese phoenix.

sms-5269.jpg

Beware hunting season when it comes. As come it does.

Last edited:
i wondered if someone would point that out.

as for the topic of the OP, i would vote to keep the bald eagle, even though it spends most of its time looking humorless and angry. in some ways, that's fitting. however, it's a majestic animal that any nation would be proud to have as an emblem.

It is majestic...

Until you see it in its natural habit doing what comes naturally....

Goose Spit, Vancouver Island, Canada.

Watching one munch on rotting salmon carcasses tends to dull one's enthusiasm for the bird.

Yes. The bald eagle should remain as our national symbol.

Would also like to propose that the national dog be the "Lucy".

DSCN0095_zpsmphcxcls.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It is majestic...

Watching one munch on rotting salmon carcasses tends to dull one's enthusiasm for the bird.

that reminds me of why i generally stay away from MCL these days.

Maybe we could get Trump to require the bald eagle to stay inside our borders eh. If some are going to dog only and exclusively on the American Bald Eagle then let's also look at the national animal of some selected other countries eh.

The panda and the bear separated genetically some 183,000 years ago according to a finding last year by Chinese biological scientists. Still however the Chinese identify with Pandas in more ways than one. Many Chinese are born in October for instance given couples have two weeks free time during the Chinese Lunar new year and spring festival holiday when even the banks close for most of the period. It's kind of like the pandas described below, i.e., if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Pandas are, at best, cute doofuses who lumber and roll around snacking on some 40 pounds of bamboo daily. Their bodies are ill-equipped to handle the highly fibrous nature of bamboo, but they insist they love the stuff.

chinese-president-xi-jinping-waving-getty.jpg

Xi Jinpingpong loves rice.

Evolution itself has made it difficult for pandas to keep populating the planet. Pandas in the wild have a mating ritual that goes on for weeks, despite the fact that females are only fertile a few days per year. As Live Science reports, this coital precursor involves a bunch of male pandas fighting for a single female hanging out in a tree until she’s ready to come down. She then has to take a bit of a leadership role to position herself to be inseminated, because male pandas have evolved to have some of the smallest penises relative to their bodies of other animals on the planet.

YHEY26TKWVCQXE54VAHO665L4I

Meet giant panda Er Shun, one of the two pandas arriving in Canada this month. There may be fewer than 5,000 pandas left on the planet in the wild and in captivity, but getting them to breed in captivity has become something of a bedroom farce

At this point, pandas are mostly just a symbol of diplomacy and goodwill between China and the foreign countries that keep pandas in their zoos. That political gesture doesn’t come cheap: Pandas cost zoos roughly $1 million per year to rent from China, plus a one-time tax on each baby born, plus specialized medical care for the entirety of their 20 to 30 years on the planet. This usually adds up to millions of dollars per year, depending on the zoo’s location. Although zoos tend to profit from having pandas in terms of attendance and merchandise sales, it doesn’t always seem like pandas are thriving there either. Similar to white sharks, pandas prefer an open environment where they can roam freely. Even the biggest enclosures cause them to get a little wacky, sometimes biting zookeepers, other pandas, or even mating with the wrong body part.

Humans should stop meddling with pandas and let them die — Quartz

4 weird, dark things you should probably know about pandas
4 weird, dark things you should probably know about pandas - The Globe and Mail

Here are but a few of 'em. I figure and as some posters have noted in scrolling no animal is perfect and if people are going to dog on the American Bald Eagle only or exclusively then we should look at and include the national animal of selected other countries too. Fair is fair.

10 Facts About Bears

Bears Are Solitary Animals

th

Bears may be the most antisocial mammals on the face of the earth. The courtship between adult males and females is extremely brief. After mating, females are left to raise the young by themselves—for a period of about three years, at which point—eager to breed with other males—the mothers chase the cubs away to fend for themselves. Full-grown bears are almost entirely solitary. This is good news for campers who accidentally encounter lone grizzlies in the wild, but quite unusual when compared with other carnivorous and omnivorous mammals, ranging from wolves to pigs, that tend to congregate in at least small groups.

Bears Are Sexually Dimorphic

Males are significantly bigger than females​, and the bigger the species, the larger the disparity in size. In the largest brown bear subspecies, for instance, males weigh about 1,000 pounds and females only slightly more than half that.

However, even though female bears are smaller than males, they're not exactly helpless. They vigorously defend their cubs from male bears, not to mention any humans foolish enough to interfere with the child-rearing process. Male bears, however, will sometimes attack and kill cubs of their own kind, in order to induce females to breed again. (See photo.)

09 of 10: Bears Don't Lend Themselves Well to Domestication

(We see this throughout Russian history.)

Depending on species, a bear's basic communication needs can be expressed with about seven or eight different "words"—huffs, chomps, groans, roars, woofs, growls, hums, or barks. The most dangerous sounds for humans are roars and growls, which denote a frightened or agitated bear.

Huffs are generally produced during mating and courtship rituals, hums—a bit like the purrs of cats, but much louder— are deployed by cubs to demand attention from their mothers, and moans express anxiety or a sense of danger. Giant pandas have a slightly different vocabulary than their ursine brethren: In addition to the sounds described above, they can also chirp, honk, and bleat. (Which the Chinese and the Russians do a lot of globally.)

10 Essential Facts About Bears

aaf94fb5792e7786bdc85245b717c511.jpg

Franklin should be the new emblem. After all it's his picture we worship.

In 1782, our Founding Fathers made an appropriate choice when they selected the bald eagle as the emblem of the nation. The fierce beauty and proud independence of this great bird aptly symbolized the strength and freedom of America.

Despite Ben Franklin suggesting we use the turkey as a symbol of our country, the bald eagle remained as the representation of our equality, unity, freedom and opportunity.

In 2018, not so much, Our country would be more accurately represented by a vulture.

vulture.jpg

Should The Star-Spangled Banner be the national anthem?

After we change the national anthem we can work on a new national emblem.

I have always like THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND.

Bald eagles, and I've seen lots and lots of them, are scavengers. They occupy the same ecological niche as vultures. Yeah, they've been known to scoop up live prey but nearly every time I've seen an eagle rise off the ground it was because there was roadkill. I had to slow down to avoid rear-ending one that was having trouble getting airborne off a dead deer in the ditch. I've seen them in dozens hopping around on the river bank squabbling over scraps of spawned-out salmon, too fat to fly. I've seen ravens drive them away from their perchs in the trees. There's nothing majestic about those birds, just judging them by behaviour.
But they do look impressive. And most of the duchys, principalities and kingdoms in Europe had eagles as their emblems so it's understandable that the budding Americans would want one too.

All carnivores are "scavengers" opportunistically.

Many small birds are capable to chasing birds of prey away from their nests because the smaller birds are more maneuverable. Eagles, hawks, owls and osprey are all ambush hunters against prey on the ground (or in the water) and rarely engaging combat while in flight.

The bald eagle is the most beautiful of eagles and the most ferocious looking.

I believe in OUR Country and it's ability to survive.

But OUR Country and the Institutions, Protocols and Symbols that have been in place since long before I was born, and I'm getting up there, ALL seem to be under attack and/or in question; more so daily. I remember reading a book about the take over of These United States where a teacher or authority figure went into a class room and talked about the flag and how "important" it was and shouldn't all the children have a little piece of it. So the flag was cut up and a piece given to each child thereby destroying the flag never to be seen again.

IMHO nitpicking OUR Country, it's founders, it's institutions and symbols is an insidious effort to bring down our form of Government. We have never been more divided. Yet I know that IF These United States fail the freedom of common people will disappear from the face of the earth for a long, long time.

It's time to find ways to honor and revere everything about These United States as they were when I was a child and come together as AmeriCANs to work to KEEP America Great. To do otherwise is a risk to great to imagine.

It is majestic...

We had three hanging around our place last year sitting low in the trees and making me nervous for the chickens. I couldn't figure out why they showed up suddenly so I put the shovel over my shoulder and went for a walk beside the road and found the half-eaten half-rotten deer. After I buried it the eagles went away.
They look good soaring high overhead and impressive scooping up fish but they occupy the same slot as vultures here, especially since the turkey vultures go south for the winters. Probably in more open country they're more predatory but here it's the owls, who fly through the trees quietly, who rule as raptors.
And they look impressive in profile on a poster.
Odd fact- at the raptor rescue facility they feed orphan eagle chicks with an eagle hand puppet so the birds dont imprint on humans.

NO, it should not be.

Our bird should be the ostrich, for Americans are doing their best to deny what is truly happening to this country.

Back
Top Bottom