• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should the 10 Commandments be allowed to hang above the electric chair?

• yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • no

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
H

hipsterdufus

Are there any states that still use ole sparky?

Maybe the ancient addage 'An eye for an eye' would suffice.

Ummmm... I can't believe there are more Yes votes than no.

What kinda country are we becomming?

Caine said:
Ummmm... I can't believe there are more Yes votes than no.

What kinda country are we becomming?

I voted yes. Not all prisons are owned by the government some are private.

vauge said:
I voted yes. Not all prisons are owned by the government some are private.

Well, I knew this cause I learned it in one of the only college classes I ever did take (Intro to Corrections). But, I didn't think they had the authority to perform executions.

galenrox said:
Thus if I'm ever gonna get executed, I'm making sure I can get the firing squad, cause if I'm going out, I'm not going out like a bitch!

Gary Gilmore fan...eh? :lol:

hipsterdufus said:

I voted no. You're going to fry the felon, and want to hang the Ten Commandments too? What did they ever do to you?

I am not Christian anymore but, Jesus Christ....wouldnt this be a blatant slap in the face of the God of the Bibles.....

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

Ok....lets fry this bastard....

Hehe. "Thou shalt not kill...unless authorized to do so by a judge and jury."

tecoyah said:
I am not Christian anymore but, Jesus Christ....wouldnt this be a blatant slap in the face of the God of the Bibles.....

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

Yeah, but I talked to Godisholy a while back, and he said that this Commandment is often taken out of context. I asked him 'how can a straightforward directive like this be misinterpreted?' He came back with some other scripture that conflicted, and said it showed we can kill those who kill. I hate riddles, and told him so.

hipsterdufus said:

As long as these are placed up as well.

Exodus 21:12
12He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

Matthew 19
18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Romans 13:4
4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

tecoyah said:

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

There is a difference between executing a guilty person and murdering a innocent person.

Exodus 21:12
12He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.
Matthew 19
18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

We should also put up there, that if you work on the Sabbath, you will be killed.

If you "spill your seed" you will be killed.

If you have sex with your wife when she is in the "period of women" you will be publicly stoned.

Not only should they post the 10 Commandments up over the electric chair, but they should post the complete Constitution there as well. I suggest the major networks get involved by presenting the entire capital punishment ordeal on television (especially when it's a high profile liberal's delight like Tookie Williams). The final solution scene to these death row scum, plus God's law and our founding father's law will all be on view for the American people to experience. The 10 Commandments gives added significance to Mr. Scum as they should prop him up so he can get a last glimpse at the one or many commandments that he had broken. Sweet justice indeed. The more American institutions involved here the better; the more props the better for the viewing public. I see capitalism getting a burst here as these electrocutions could get competition if pay-per-view offers an attractive package.
I have no doubt that there are enough American martyrs in this country that hate everything American--that would be willing to break as many commandments as possible so as to get their mug on TV while strapped down to the chair. Like I said, there is competition in nearly every field of our wonderful enterprise system. Bush could change his slogan from 'No Child left behind', to 'No martyr left behind'.

KidTim

Yes, of course. But this is rather silly..
Does it harm or hurt anyone (other than the extremest atheist) ??
And I am sick and tired of those who fuss over nothing..
These people should be ignored at all times..

earthworm said:

You and pmskid are wrong. This isn't a fuss over nothing, religion shouldn't be endorsed in public buildings.

tryreading said:
You and pmskid are wrong. This isn't a fuss over nothing, religion shouldn't be endorsed in public buildings.

I knew it was not about only one religion getting representation and no the others.You hard core athiest and wolf in sheep's clothing fake ass relgious people do not want any religion being represented on tax payer funded property funded by mostly religious people even if all are being represented.

jamesrage said:
I knew it was not about only one religion getting representation and no the others.You hard core athiest and wolf in sheep's clothing fake ass relgious people do not want any religion being represented on tax payer funded property funded by mostly religious people even if all are being represented.

You are wrong about one thing, right about the other.

I am not any type of athiest, especially not hard core.

You are right that I personally don't want any religion endorsed by government. The people themselves in government can be as religious and faithful as they want to, evoke God in speeches, pray in their offices or the cafeteria, and wish each other Merry Christmas. That is legal and fine. I want them to do that.

As far as keeping one religion's symbols and scripture out of government buildings, there is only one trying to force its way in.

tryreading said:
As far as keeping one religion's symbols and scripture out of government buildings, there is only one trying to force its way in.
Oh really?

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=46664
Hedy Weinberg, executive director of ACLU-Tennessee, sent a letter to Gov. Phil Bredesen Dec. 12 suggesting the annual menorah display and candle-lighting ceremony would violate the separation of church and state unless it occurred in a public forum where other displays could take place. The menorah has been displayed at the state Capitol since 2003, at the request of the Center for Jewish Awareness.

http://www.oyez.org/oyez/resource/case/87/
Two public-sponsored holiday displays in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, were challenged by the American Civil Liberties Union. The first display involved a Christian nativity scene inside the Allegheny County Courthouse. The second display was a large Chanukah menorah, erected each year by the Chabad Jewish organization, outside the City-County building. The ACLU claimed the displays constituted state endorsement of religion. This case was decided together with Chabad v. ACLU and City of Pittsburgh v. ACLU of Greater Pittsburgh.

http://www.newsreview.com/issues/ren...12-28/news.asp
During the school's annual window-decorating event, one student hand-painted the decorative candleholder that signifies the annual Jewish holiday. But the symbol was removed after a faculty adviser suggested that the students stay away from religious themes.

I'm with Tecoyah on this...
It states 'thou shalt not kill'
not 'thou shalt not kill except in the following circumstances, which we are not bound to uphold at any given time as seen fit, see below for addendums and footnotes'.....zzzzzzzzzzzzaaapppp

Hell, if the ten commandments were in the Senate alone, 'thou shalt not commit adultery' would have half those guys resigning.....

It would be sort of strange to put the 10 commandments over a device used to kill people.

earthworm said:

As far as I know the 10 commandments don't hang over the electric chair. Do they?

So therefore, no "athiest" is fussing.
But it sounds like you are.

I voted yes, but only if it's done for irony.

Back
Top Bottom