• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should state governments have the authority to overturn the vote of its citizens if they do not like the outcome?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Should your state government be able to disregard the will of the people and instead certify the 'winner' as the person who actually lost the popular vote?

No, nor should a state be able to disregard the will of the people and instead certify the winner as the person who didn’t receive the most votes in that state, they way some democrats are pushing for.

No, nor should a state be able to disregard the will of the people and instead certify the winner as the person who didn’t receive the most votes in that state, they way some democrats are pushing for.
I don't think any democrats are pushing for that.

Umm, I think that was the question I asked?

NO WAY JOSE' ................

Must be a lot of politicians needing to move from the USA to say Russia, China, Pakistan, Iraq, China or North Korea.

Are you aware that several Republican States are taking a case to the Supreme Court this upcoming session that will pretty much allow State legislators do that very thing?

Are you aware that several Republican States are taking a case to the Supreme Court this upcoming session that will pretty much allow State legislators do that very thing?
I do not support any attempts Republicans or Democrats threaten, agree upon, or try that would allow electors or legislators to change the vote to anyone other than whomever received the most legal votes in that state.

I do not support any attempts Republicans or Democrats threaten, agree upon, or try that would allow electors or legislators to change the vote to anyone other than whomever received the most legal votes in that state.
Then you must be very unhappy with Trump's plotting with Eastman to replace electors legally chosen as a result of State certified elections with fake electors.

But do you support attempts to allow electors/legislators to change votes to whoever got the most votes?

Then you must be very unhappy with Trump's plotting with Eastman to replace electors legally chosen as a result of State certified elections with fake electors.
No matter how much some people may wish I supported Trump I didn’t. I am not someone who views changing the will of the voters ok for any reason. I hope more states make sure the voters will can not be changed for whatever reason.

But do you support attempts to allow electors/legislators to change votes to whoever got the most votes?
For their state. Again, No the will of the voters should not be changed. If more people in Virginia vote candidate A the vote for Va is for candidate A. It does not matter how candidate B did in other states they lost in Va.

No, the state legislatures should not have such an authority.

Should your state government be able to disregard the will of the people and instead certify the 'winner' as the person who actually lost the popular vote?
Only if the Communists happen to completely take them over.

The question you should ask first is, do they have the authority?

The answer is yes. It's right in the constitution, that the electors shall be assigned in a manner of the state legislature's choosing. We take for granted that manner is a popular election, but nothing requires it. And actually, in practice nothing is going to change that, as it would take a constitutional amendment... approved by IIRC 75% of those same state legislatures. So the option is to elect legislatures who will choose elections; but they have the power not to.

Having said all that, I should clarify that what we're seeing is them try to exercise a power they don't have - to hold the election, but then to override it.

That, as I understand, they are not really allowed to do, but you get into all kinds of legalities and courts over what they can and cannot do if an election is held.

The nation votes for the president, not the states.

Technically the State Legislatures choose Electors to the Electoral College that vote for the President and Vice President upon meeting in the State Capital on December 14th.

Barring a Federal law to the contrary State Legislatures could choose:
  • In state election,
  • Results of a national vote,
  • No vote, the legislature just picks who they want,
  • The legislature choose a round robin of rock-paper-scissors.
The just have to choose the method of selecting the electors prior to, and have the results determined by, the date set in federal law which is currently the Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November.

WW

Back
Top Bottom