• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Spanish Be a Required Subject in School?

A white or black person who can speak Spanish properly. Meaning not spanglish will advance faster and make more money than someone who can not.

I think that a second language should be mandatory. However, I don't think that it should only be Spanish as an option.

Should Spanish be a required subject in school?
No. Citizens in a country where English is the primary language should not be forced to learn a secondary language. I wouldn't expect this in Britain, Canada or any other country that is primarily English in tongue.

That being said...ALL schools in the United States should teach English. Proper English.

They should also emphasize the ignorance of "text speech." Nothing says "I suck at life" like receiving an email within a business setting, and the moron author can't form a proper sentence to save his soul.

No. Citizens in a country where English is the primary language should not be forced to learn a secondary language. I wouldn't expect this in Britain, Canada or any other country that is primarily English in tongue.

That being said...ALL schools in the United States should teach English. Proper English.

They should also emphasize the ignorance of "text speech." Nothing says "I suck at life" like receiving an email within a business setting, and the moron author can't form a proper sentence to save his soul.

Text speach is bad. However, we live in a global economy so we need people speaking multiple languages.

I think English should be a requirement before you can come to this country to live....period.

I think English should be a requirement before you can come to this country to live....period.

No. For one thing period is this. . Proper English is destroyed when you spell it. You fail English.

A language should be required in school, but I don't think we should force Spanish as a requirement.

You tell me. My Inglish is immoculite.

Lol.

I like the ultra conservatives who complain about public education and that English should be the official language.

They are the dregs of the white culture. They are the ones who would have the least, and suffer most under their desired society.

My guess is that most of the folks who would support mandatory Spanish training are the same ones who opposed English as the Official US Language initiatives......

My guess is that most of the folks who would support mandatory Spanish training are the same ones who opposed English as the Official US Language initiatives......

I bet your right.

The sensible forward thinking know that neither English or Spanish should be official or mandated.

That is my position. It is a requirement of citizenship that you learn English. So the only reason for learning Spanish is to speak to those who don't belong here. I'm not going to do that. If we send home the 20 million or so using up our resources, we solve a lot more than just a communication problem.

A person can be a legal resident without being a citizen. There is no language requirement for legal residents.

I bet your right.

The sensible forward thinking know that neither English or Spanish should be official or mandated.

Why would we want 300 million+ Americans who speak Spanish? Hell we don't have that many that speak English.

Why would we want 300 million+ Americans who speak Spanish? Hell we don't have that many that speak English.

We don't. Did you think that is what I suggested? If so than you need an English class.

We don't. Did you think that is what I suggested? If so than you need an English class.

Isn't the title of this thread to require Spanish in school? The vast majority of our citizens go to school here so eventually almost everyone would have been taught it. . Would we be teaching it so the students didn't learn it?

I don't think many people would disagree that learning a foreign language or two is a part of decent education. It is also a fact that, generally speaking, language instruction in schools is a dismal failure - one month as an au pair does more than five years of diligent grammar and vocabulary drilling. Spanish is easy to learn and immediately useful, considering the large Spanish-speaking population in many states. Not quite immersion, but certainly better circumstances for actaually acquiring the second language than if it were Polish, Tamil or German.

There shouldn't be any national policy on the matter, but if I were on a school board somewhere in New Mexcio, I would vote for it. Why waste an excellent opportunity? (Perhaps in Vermont or upstate New York it's French...)

Last edited:
Isn't the title of this thread to require Spanish in school? The vast majority of our citizens go to school here so eventually almost everyone would have been taught it. . Would we be teaching it so the students didn't learn it?

You quoted me, and I clearly said it shouldn't be mandated.

However, by law per the Treaty Of Guadalupe, Hispanics in the southwest USA have a special right to speak Spanish.

You may not want to quote something that is based on little but individual BROAD interpretation of something as if it's an undisputable fact. Just because you HOPE that people have never, or would never, do a little research on that topic doesn't mean they won't. The notion of language is not stated ANYWHERE in the entire treaty. The entire basis for the notion that it gives anyone, let alone an extremely broad notion of any hispanic in the southwest USA, a special right to speak spanish is that the contract allowed those directly affected by the treaty could maintain their culture. Even then, under your BROAD interpretation, you're arguing against a strawman....since I've seen no one suggesting it should be illegal to speak spanish.

It's rather interesting as well that you want to critique and ridicule another poster as making bigoted statements and then follow it up with one insulting of Americans in general.

You may not want to quote something that is based on little but individual BROAD interpretation of something as if it's an undisputable fact. Just because you HOPE that people have never, or would never, do a little research on that topic doesn't mean they won't. The notion of language is not stated ANYWHERE in the entire treaty. The entire basis for the notion that it gives anyone, let alone an extremely broad notion of any hispanic in the southwest USA, a special right to speak spanish is that the contract allowed those directly affected by the treaty could maintain their culture. Even then, under your BROAD interpretation, you're arguing against a strawman....since I've seen no one suggesting it should be illegal to speak spanish.

You are correct that the phrase "the right to their property, language, and culture" is not in the treaty itself. So I will stand corrected, since I was under the impression that the "language and culture" phrase was in the treaty itself. I found many sources saying that "The treaty explicitly guaranteed Mexican Americans 'the right to their property, language, and culture.'" For example: Digital History

I am not prepared to debate the validity of that interpretation and/or whether courts have supported that interpretation, so I will withdraw that argument. No deception was intended.

This the treaty's actual text:
"ARTICLE IX The Mexicans who, in the territories aforesaid, shall not preserve the character of citizens of the Mexican Republic, conformably with what is stipulated in the preceding article, shall be incorporated into the Union of the United States. and be admitted at the proper time (to be judged of by the Congress of the United States) to the enjoyment of all the rights of citizens of the United States, according to the principles of the Constitution; and in the mean time, shall be maintained and protected in the free enjoyment of their liberty and property, and secured in the free exercise of their religion without; restriction."

You can throw the word bigotry around all you want, but bigotry has nothing to do with expecting immigrants to at least attempt to learn the language of the nation they're immigrating to. That's common-****ing-sense.

The bigotry is in the assertion that a significant number of Hispanics in the USA refuse to learn English. I have seen no evidence of such a refusal by a large number of Hispanics, yet immigrant haters keep repeating it.

A person can be a legal resident without being a citizen. There is no language requirement for legal residents.
\

True, but these are special circumstances, having to do with immediate family, employment, refugees, and the like. There are about a million of these in the US as near as I can tell, only 14% from Mexico. Assuming a few more from other Spanish speaking countries, hardly a reason for everyone in the US learning Spanish.

Text speach is bad. However, we live in a global economy so we need people speaking multiple languages.
Name me one country that's a viable trading partner, that doesn't communicate in English? There's a reason English is the "universal language."

Spanish is NOT the "universal language." Therefore, it should not be mandatory to learn. Let those who want to learn it, study it.

I do think at a minimum taking a foreign language in high school should be required. It doesn’t have to be Spanish, though. I think my high school allowed you to choose between Spanish, French, and German. I chose Spanish because I felt it was the most useful. I just think it is important for kids to get a feel of a language other than their own. Many Americans are way behind the power curve in that area as compared to rest of the world.

The bigotry is in the assertion that a significant number of Hispanics in the USA refuse to learn English. I have seen no evidence of such a refusal by a large number of Hispanics, yet immigrant haters keep repeating it.

Then good, if pretty much everybody speaks English, then we have absolutely zero need to force kids to learn spanish. Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom