• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Spanish Be a Required Subject in School?

Hasta la vista. And bienvenidos, which means, "come on in, and we'll shake you down". One I learned from Arnold, and the other from experience. Have good day. It's required.

Looks like you flunked that course. :roll:

It makes sense to prepare students to compete in the job market.

Pam

If you want a job in construction speaking spanish aint gona help you if you arent hispanic. Out here in Califorinia there are more than a few occupations that if you are not hispanic you arent working in that field. Fact of life. I used to a long time ago install and service overhead doors and automatic gates and loading docks and the like. I cant get back into that field if I wanted because the labour market is frozen out because I am not hispanic. The only avenue for me to get into that field would be to start my own company. The business I am in now is more competitive but there is a shortage of employees so its easier to get into without being hispanic.

Promoting the learning of Turkish amongst German students is a completely different matter to requiring Turkish students to learn German. You live in a country you should be required to speak one of the official languages of that country. The benefits of Germans learning Turkish would be enormous though. It would promote rather than damage inter-communal understanding; it would open students' minds to a different way of viewing the world; it would open students up to an appreciation of a rich and varied culture, literature and art; and it would be a great academic discipline to master. Win-win, in my opinion. Also, Turkish is SUCH a beautiful language and, I reckon, not that difficult for German speakers. German and Turkish share quite a lot of grammatical features such as agglutination, case agreement, syntax. I found my schoolboy German helped me quite a lot in learning Turkish.

In my experience, though, foreign languages often are disliked by students. Most of my friends had to take English and French classes. Most of them kind of like English, even when they're not good at it, maybe because they realize how important the English language is. But many really dislike French. A good friend of mine said he had a deal with his French teacher, he said he would not disturb her class and do his best in exams, and in exchange, she would at least give him a D. I noticed many German students dislike French language classes. On the other side, you have the language "experts" who focus on a third or even fourth language.

So I'm not sure what's the best way in case of compulsory language classes. Of course English is a given, as it's really important. But second or third languages should be optional, ideally with many different options.

You're obviously a language talent, much more than many other people. I admire you about that. I don't pick up languages easily, and you can see about my English it's not that good, although I've been learning and practizing it for more than 10 years. I really admire people who have a talent for languages and pick them up like nothing.

Never this is America we speak English it's fine to speak your native tounge but you will learn English. Learning a secondary language should always be a choice.

They speak German in Germany, Finnish in Finland, Swedish in Sweden, and French in France, yet all of these nations require their children to learn English in school. Why? Because it's a global language, one necessary for international communication and business. Why can't America do the same?

Yes, in my opinion, every child should be required to learn both Spanish and Chinese to a fluent level in school, along with taking an optional third language such as French, German, or Japanese.

Español es una idioma internacional, es muy importante para aprendar :).

I didn't say they did. Let me repeat the question: When the time comes that the number of Spanish speakers in New Mexico surpasses the number of English speakers, will you take a stand against the teaching of English?

pam

Not until such a time that the Federal Government is largely uninvolved with education. Until such time, the fact remains that English is the primary language of this country and is used by the majority of individuals in this country, and should be the only REQUIRED language.

Secondly, a majority of individuals speaking spanish != a majority of individuals speaking spanish as their primary language.

Why not? We can't just close ourselves off from the rest of the world, and not knowing any foreign languages is just a way to fulfill the "ugly American" stereotype.

My previous comment was in support of learning a language. gungadin wanted to know if I supported learning Spanish as opposed to any other language. My answer to that question was no.

Any job in North America where Spanish is a required language is likely only to be a ghettoized job or low wages and low value, likely in limited retain selling product to a predominantly Spanish only speaking clientelle. I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you can identify for me the types of "careers" in America, even southern American states, where Spanish speaking is mandatory for high-paying, career type employment - and please don't include immigration lawyer or criminal defense attorney.

Oil jobs that deal with Latin America are high paying and require Spanish.

Oil jobs that deal with Latin America are high paying and require Spanish.

Indeed they might - but when did Latin America become part of the United States of America? I'd be interested in knowing which Latin American oil company set up shop in America and required its employees to speak Spanish? I'd also be interested in knowing whether or not the EPA or some other such government agency would require workers in such a dangerous environment to be proficient in English while working in the USA.

I presume, just like any multinational company, when an American based multinational sets up shop in a foreign country, many of the jobs they create in that country go to those who live in the country and speak that country's language but will also, as responsibilities and job profile increase, require proficiency in English as the world's language of commerce. As a result, I would expect any foreign company setting up shop in America would require English be known and conduct almost all of its American business in English.

Indeed they might - but when did Latin America become part of the United States of America? I'd be interested in knowing which Latin American oil company set up shop in America and required its employees to speak Spanish? I'd also be interested in knowing whether or not the EPA or some other such government agency would require workers in such a dangerous environment to be proficient in English while working in the USA.

I presume, just like any multinational company, when an American based multinational sets up shop in a foreign country, many of the jobs they create in that country go to those who live in the country and speak that country's language but will also, as responsibilities and job profile increase, require proficiency in English as the world's language of commerce. As a result, I would expect any foreign company setting up shop in America would require English be known and conduct almost all of its American business in English.

Many U.S. oil company geologists and engineers must travel there for very high pay. It is common. These would be U.S. citizens. I know several. Exxon, and Marathon for sure want U.S. citizen Spanish speakers.

Many U.S. oil company geologists and engineers must travel there for very high pay. It is common. These would be U.S. citizens. I know several. Exxon, and Marathon for sure want U.S. citizen Spanish speakers.

That's fair comment - the point being, though, that they are travelling to a foreign country where Spanish is the predominant language so representing your company in the language of the land is just good business. I'm sure Exxon and other oil companies want US citizens who can speak Arabic or Kurdish when travelling to Iraq or who speak Swedish when travelling to Sweden.

The language of the land, in North America however, remains English - and the predominant language of commerce remains English.

Every K-12 student should learn a second language with some choices offered. Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin should be readily available since for most people they will be the most advantageous to learn.

Every K-12 student should learn a second language with some choices offered. Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin should be readily available since for most people they will be the most advantageous to learn.

How a-boot Canadian eh?

And do you know WHY their language is becoming our language? Because of stupid suggestions like this. We'd rather pander to immigrants than expect them to learn our language. I don't mind immigrants coming here, not necessarily even by the boatloads. What I do have a problem with is them showing up, refusing to learn the language, and then expecting us to change. It's ridiculous.

We need to change our society that this isn't the case. If we did a lot of business with south america, that would be one thing, but instead it's because there are so many lazy spanish speakers who refuse to learn english.

In my experience people who speak Spanish with little English are very recent immigrants, or came here as an older adult and are too busy working to learn much English. I don't believe that many refuse to learn English. Do you have any proof of that? I think it is a bigoted myth.

However, by law per the Treaty Of Guadalupe, Hispanics in the southwest USA have a special right to speak Spanish.

NO. Not only shouldn't it be required, it shouldn't be ALLOWED. Nor should French, German, or anything other than English.

What do you call someone who can speak three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak only one language?

American.

(this is a joke told throughout much of the world)

What do you call someone who can speak three languages? Trilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak only one language? American.

It's a "joke" I'm well aware of and still find absolutely no humor in.

I don't know where you hail from, whether it's here in the United States or elsewhere. I can tell you that in my almost 39 years here in the United States I have never found myself in a situation where I needed any language other than English. I have been in situations where it might have been useful but never necessary. Though I will tell you that it's been very useful walking around to hear/see people speaking other languages. It's very instructive on who not to do business or have personal relationships with.

EDITED: This is old data that used to be contained on the Wikipedia site on Spanish language in the U.S. (link below) The site has changed, and no longer gives those percentages by state (although it does give percentages by country, as does this link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spanish_in_the_United_States_by_countr.gif ) I'll try to find another link.

The 2004 American Community Survey (from the U.S. Census Bureau) these are the percentages of Spanish speakers living in the U.S., by state:

New Mexico: 43.27%
California: 34.72%
Texas: 34.63%
Arizona: 28.03%
Nevada: 19.27%
Florida: 19.27%
New York: 15.96%
New Jersey: 13.89%
Illinois: 12.70%
Colorado: 12.35%

The remaining states have less than 10% of their populations speaking Spanish.
Spanish language in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spanish is also predicted to become the world's second most spoken language (after Chinese) by 2050.
newamericamedia.org/2011/02/us-will-be-biggest-spanish-speaking-country-by-2050-says-scholar.php

Should Spanish be a required subject in school? If so, for which states and starting in what grades?

Pam

I'm extremely liberal on the subject of immigration. I support much more flexible entry requirements, pathway to citizenship for those in the United States, the abolition of the H1B visa requirements, and much more. However I'm pretty firm in my belief that assimilation must be championed and that cosmopolitanism not multiculturalism should be championed. What binds us together and what makes America so unique is that we are an idea, not an ethnicity or a nation. Our symbols, our notions, and our language are not shut off from anyone. But you have to make an effort to acquire them. No foreign flags, no foreign tongues, you are on American when you step into this country for the purpose of settlement and we welcome you with open arms. But please, speak English as soon as you can manage.

I don't think that Spanish should be a requirement, because I highly doubt that there will be a time when people who only speak Spanish (Not bilingual immigrants) are the majority. Most Spanish speakers know at least a little English, and the children of immigrants almost always know some form of English. Once immigration eventually slows down there will be even less of the need. As more generations pass, the children and grandchildren will undoubtedly be fluent in English, and the percentage of non-English speakers in the country will be quite small. Having Spanish as a required subject isn't necessary long term, or even short term really.

I think it is a bigoted myth.

I wouldn't put it quite that harshly, but it has been proven that by the third generation, children of the children of immigrants usually know little to nothing of the native language. Like anything else, it takes time to integrate a foreign person into another culture.

In my experience people who speak Spanish with little English are very recent immigrants, or came here as an older adult and are too busy working to learn much English. I don't believe that many refuse to learn English. Do you have any proof of that? I think it is a bigoted myth.

However, by law per the Treaty Of Guadalupe, Hispanics in the southwest USA have a special right to speak Spanish.

They don't have a special right to do ****, in my opinion. I'm all about immigration, hell, I'm an immigrant myself. I however learned my host nation's language. If they all speak english, then why the hell are people in this thread trying to force all Americans to learn spanish? It's completely irrational. You can throw the word bigotry around all you want, but bigotry has nothing to do with expecting immigrants to at least attempt to learn the language of the nation they're immigrating to. That's common-****ing-sense.

What do you call someone who can speak three languages?

Trilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak two languages?

Bilingual.

What do you call someone who can speak only one language?

American.

(this is a joke told throughout much of the world)

Here's the thing those people learn other languages to be successful but we already know the language most buisness is conducted in so we don need to know another.

Back
Top Bottom