• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should South-Tyrol re-join Austria ?

?

• Yes, re-join Austria

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, the status-quo as an autonome region of Italy is just fine

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, it should become an independent country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it should re-merge with North- and East-Tyrol and form a new independent country Tyrol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Do you think it should ?

die-29-vinum-hotels-in-suedtirol-71-1534495968.jpg

South-Tyrol basically always belonged to Austria before 1918 and before that it was part of Greater Tyrol and Bavaria as well.

After the 1st WW, it was awarded to Italy, despite having 95% German-speaking inhabitants at the time.

Italians colonized the region after WW2 and the area around Bozen Italianized quite a bit. These days, 75% are German-speaking, 20% Italian-speaking and 5% Ladin-speaking. But most also speak the other language (German-speaking the Italian and vice-versa).

In the 1960s, Italy granted South-Tyrol a comfy autonomy statute after a series of bombings by Austria-supporting nationalists in a major compromise.

Since then, South-Tyrol has become the richest and most effectively-managed region of Italy, with the lowest unemployment and best living conditions, plus the best public transport and education system.

Tensions these days are virtually non-existant.

Therefore, I FULLY support the status quo and think South-Tyrol should not re-join Austria, because they'd probably be worse off than under the autonomy statute.

karabag_su%CC%88dtirol%E2%80%932.jpg

If they vote for it, yes. And they should be allowed to have a vote if enough people think they should.

If they vote for it, yes. And they should be allowed to have a vote if enough people think they should.

Neither would happen.

I guess support for a re-merger is only around 20%.

Most people think like myself and would want to continue with the good autonomy statute.

So, 20% re-merge with Austria, 60% status-quo, 20% become an Italian region without autonomy. Status-quo could even reach 70% in an actual referendum, if people read the benefits of autonomy.

I mean I don’t know the point of the poll. If there’s no controversy over the current status I don’t know why anyone needs a poll.
I’m not going to demand a change in the status of some province I’ve never been to and have no interest in. Especially if the people who live there have no such interest

I mean I don’t know the point of the poll. If there’s no controversy over the current status I don’t know why anyone needs a poll.
I’m not going to demand a change in the status of some province I’ve never been to and have no interest in. Especially if the people who live there have no such interest

Far-Right circles bring up the topic here and then ... The Italian far-right there (Lega, Fratelli d'Italia) want closer ties to Italy and more "Italianisation" of the region, while the German-speaking Freedomites and South Tyrol Freedom want a re-merger with Austria. The centrist parties are all for the status quo. I was merely interested in what people from abroad think.

Why do you have no interest in South Tyrol ?

It's one of the nicest regions of Europe, if you ever visit, go there. You can have nice lakes, nice mountains and glaciers, palm trees, wine, spas etc. - basically a very awesome version of California (without the wildfires).

Sounds like more Balkan craziness. Leave things the way they are.

Twatsch.
South Tyrol is not the Balkan.
Maybe a sun balcony, but not the Balkan.

It's close enough. Serbia has wanted South Tyrol forever (as well as Venezia), as does Austria, plus Italy. It is not itself a Balkan state, but it's literally right next door.

Rule number one of South-central Europe: Don't change anything.

Sounds like something a Russian or American political faction would exploit for imperialist/ultra-nationalist ulterior motives, so none of the above, far-wingnut political extremists just need to leave the rest of us alone.

Sounds like something a Russian or American political faction would exploit for imperialist ulterior motives, so none of the above, far-wingnut political extremists just need to leave the rest of us alone.

Sometimes people are capable of being nationalist fruitcakes without American or Russian help.

South-Tyrol is gonna South-Tyrol.

Why do you have no interest in South Tyrol ?

It's one of the nicest regions of Europe, if you ever visit, go there. You can have nice lakes, nice mountains and glaciers, palm trees, wine, spas etc. - basically a very awesome version of California (without the wildfires).
I have no doubt it’s very nice, just that the internal politics are of no interest to me. I couldn’t point to this place on a map

Sometimes people are capable of being nationalist fruitcakes without American or Russian help.
Very true. This of course doesn't prevent Americans, Russians or other from extending a helping hand, which I'm sure a breakaway/secessionist/separatist movement would happily accept if provided the opportunity...

Anyone care?

Very true. This of course doesn't prevent Americans, Russians or other from extending a helping hand, which I'm sure a breakaway/secessionist/separatist movement would happily accept if provided the opportunity...

Not so sure. South Tyrol isn't a strategic location like it was in 1918. I mean, even if you stirred up trouble, who would gain from it? Nobody.

No need to fix what isn't broken.

I don't think I'll have any strong opinion, as long as the wines keep flowing.

🍇🍷

Exactly my point.

Yugoslavia was going to come unglued no matter what, though. Without Tito, and without the USSR, the ethnic hatreds of the Serbs, Bosnians, and Croatians was going to explode. I only wonder why it took a full year to get going.

Seeing how the people in South Tyrol are, by all appearances, quite happy with things the way they are, let it be.

Back
Top Bottom