• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should South-Tyrol re-join Austria ?

?

• Yes, re-join Austria

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, the status-quo as an autonome region of Italy is just fine

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, it should become an independent country

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it should re-merge with North- and East-Tyrol and form a new independent country Tyrol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (post)

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Yugoslavia was going to come unglued no matter what, though. Without Tito, and without the USSR, the ethnic hatreds of the Serbs, Bosnians, and Croatians was going to explode. I only wonder why it took a full year to get going.
What has Yugoslavia to do with South Tyrol?
Answer: Nothing.

I have no doubt it’s very nice, just that the internal politics are of no interest to me. I couldn’t point to this place on a map
Then be careful not to point to Serbia, as somebody else does.

Tender Branson mentioned two of the most prominent far-right Italian parties -- Lega and Fratelli d'Italia -- and beating the nationalistic drums is what they do.

Fratelli is a direct descendent of earlier post-war neo-fascist parties. Lega started in the early 90s as a local party, Lega Nord, in Lombardia calling for the creation of a new state - Padania (Lombardia and other northern areas) -- where hard-earned tax money stayed in the northern regions and not sent to thieving Roma to be squandered on the lazy and unappreciative bums in the South. (This party line naturally presented some difficulties for Lega when expanding into a national Italian politics. Nord magically disappeared from the party name.) Currently Lega is tending ultra nationalist, but abandoning prior positions seems no problem for the party should a more advantageous position occur.

If Lega sees political advantage in making Sud Tirol an issue -- such as regaining a spot in a ruling coalition -- that will become a burning issue for Salvini and his followers.

Yugoslavia was going to come unglued no matter what, though. Without Tito, and without the USSR, the ethnic hatreds of the Serbs, Bosnians, and Croatians was going to explode. I only wonder why it took a full year to get going.

The manufactured tribal hatred between various factions in THIS country are threatening to turn US into post-Tito Yugoslavia.
I give it a year.

?? It took 10 years to get going.

I’ve never understood the pride some Americans take in their ignorance of geography.
In this case, it really is a pretty obscure one. It's not like, not knowing where Sudan is for example. And let's be honest, the OP has a history of bringing up obscure European territorial disputes. I mean, what's the point?

In this case, it really is a pretty obscure one. It's not like, not knowing where Sudan is for example. And let's be honest, the OP has a history of bringing up obscure European territorial disputes. I mean, what's the point?

Not quite sure how to respond. I know where Tyrol is. I know some of it was ceded to Italy after the breakup of the Austrian-Hungarian empire. However, I have a rudimentary understanding of this and so learned new things in this thread from more well-informed posters. Perhaps these types of threads are a little pointless but are a welcome reprieve from the endless partisan bitching.

However, I have a rudimentary understanding of this and so learned new things in this thread from more well-informed posters. Perhaps these types of threads are a little pointless but are a welcome reprieve from the endless partisan bitching.
(y)(y)(y)

It may be a bit off topc, but I very much like the wines of Südtirol, as South Tirol is called in German. :)

Btw: The German language is now well protected in the more or less bi-lingual Südtirol.
This has not always been the case.
When Italy took over the region, it first tried to make the 100 percent German speaking region into a 100 per cent Italian speaking region.

Who has ever been to Südtirol?
I have often been there - to Brixen and Bozen and Meran and to other places there.

This is Südtirol! :)

I am for ....

A united Ireland
a united Korea
a united Tyrol

Separated countries should be united again
Just as in the case of Germany and Vietnam

Süd-Tirol should be united with Nord-Tirol and Ost-Tirol.

Who has ever been to Südtirol?
I have often been there - to Brixen and Bozen and Meran and to other places there.

I have been there a few times as a teenager on road trips to Venezia (Venice) and Verona.

I visited Bozen and Brixen a few times and my brother goes there on vacation each year with his gf.

Back
Top Bottom