• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Somaliland be recognized?

Should Somaliland be recognized?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ludahai

Defender of the Faith
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Somaliland declared independence in 1991 while Somalia was falling apart. It has maintained stability since and has become a functioning democracy. Its boundaries conforn to the pre-1960 boundary of British Somaliland before its failed union with the former Italian protectorate of Somalia.

No one currently recognizes it, but it has its own currency, flag and control over its boundaries. The AU has found no desire to return to its failed union with Somalia and is considerating extending recognition.

Frankly, I think President Bush, who rhetorically supports democracy, should support this one by extending recognition and agreeing to an exchange of ambassadors.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200602280748.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Somaliland

They were able to create a peaceful, stable democracy in a difficult environment. Practically, they are independent, so it would be good for other governments to recognize them. Somalia has a lot of problems to fix, I guess, I don't think, they could be a big help for Somaliland.

Sure, why not? International recognition may help to stabilize the country, and recognition of official borders may help to ensure that the chaos from Somalia proper doesn't spread to Somaliland. Is there some downside to recognizing them that I'm missing?

Kandahar said:
Umm we already recognize Somalia as a sovereign nation...although there's no government to recognize.

I know, however I also know we don't really interact there. So you know, we could try and develop their economy by and large as an anarchist state rather than fetter AGAIN at establishing a "democracy"

Seriously, the country is heading itself in this anarchic state very well. If there was some support and guidance on the outside to develop a common code of ethics and business law, with the somilia tribes of course, I bet the country would be one of the very few in the whole contitent to grow.

You are talking about Somalia. Somaliland is the section that has declared independence from Somalia and was known as British Somaliland before its 1960 union with Italian Somaliland to create Somalia. They have retained a stable government and developed democratic institutions while Somalia has remained a mess.

128shot said:
I know, however I also know we don't really interact there. So you know, we could try and develop their economy by and large as an anarchist state rather than fetter AGAIN at establishing a "democracy"

Seriously, the country is heading itself in this anarchic state very well. If there was some support and guidance on the outside to develop a common code of ethics and business law, with the somilia tribes of course, I bet the country would be one of the very few in the whole contitent to grow.

Somalia has done better than can be expected as an anarchy compared to most other African countries, but that's mainly because the corruption is smaller-scale. In some countries like Cameroon and Zimbabwe, the government steals everything from everyone, whereas in Somalia the local thug simply doesn't have the power to steal from everyone.

Some business leaders in Somalia-proper have actually started paying vigilantes to stop petty crime. This is a step in the right direction, but Somalia-proper still has a long way to go before it's any kind of functioning nation.

How do you suggest we "develop their economy as an anarchist state"?

Kandahar said:
Somalia has done better than can be expected as an anarchy compared to most other African countries, but that's mainly because the corruption is smaller-scale. In some countries like Cameroon and Zimbabwe, the government steals everything from everyone, whereas in Somalia the local thug simply doesn't have the power to steal from everyone.

Some business leaders in Somalia-proper have actually started paying vigilantes to stop petty crime. This is a step in the right direction, but Somalia-proper still has a long way to go before it's any kind of functioning nation.

How do you suggest we "develop their economy as an anarchist state"?

Hold Negotiations with all the tribal leaders to form a common pact of law so international investment is possible?

128shot said:
Hold Negotiations with all the tribal leaders to form a common pact of law so international investment is possible?

Then it wouldn't really be an anarchist state, it'd be a country ruled by tribal leaders. What makes you think that the tribal leaders would agree to this anyway? Why haven't they already done so, on their own?

Besides, most of the tribal leaders don't have the power to impose any kind of law on their communities. Somalia is so fragmented that there is simply NO authority in most parts of the country. In many places order is imposed by gangs and pirates, and in many other places order simply doesn't exist.

Kandahar said:
Then it wouldn't really be an anarchist state, it'd be a country ruled by tribal leaders. What makes you think that the tribal leaders would agree to this anyway? Why haven't they already done so, on their own?

Besides, most of the tribal leaders don't have the power to impose any kind of law on their communities. Somalia is so fragmented that there is simply NO authority in most parts of the country. In many places order is imposed by gangs and pirates, and in many other places order simply doesn't exist.

well, its a complex situation entirely, and I think I should make it clear that having states are better than having feds ;)

Well, maybe they didn't do it on their own because they haven't felt the need yet?

Back
Top Bottom