• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Soldiers Be Considered Heros?

That may have something to do with the fact that I was responding to the OP and not 23 pages of replies. Which is perhaps why it was quoted in my post. Maybe.

The OP asks whether soldiers should be regarded as heroes, irrespective of their actions. It did not state that soldiers were barred from, or incapable of, being heroes. The intent of his post was clear to most people. To respond with the statement that soldiers were not barred from being heroes, seems a non-sequitur.

And if you read my post, you'd see my opinion is of this as well.

Well then, end of discussion. :)

As far as the original topic of this thread goes, I'm sick of people telling me I HAVE to respect our troops (in reference to the post-draft era). WHY? If they voluntarily signed up for something that I do not agree with, why the heck should I respect that decision? Either they are doing it for some misguided sense of patriotism, or some WRONG ideas on the wars we are fighting, OR just doing it for the money, training and college aid etc. The last one I actually respect A LITTLE due to the fact it makes the most sense. I still think its terribly sad when they die and get badly injured. I still get very emotional about it, but thats how I feel about any decent normal human being who has the same kind of thing happen to them.

Thats why we need to bring back the draft...so you can do something for your country and get NO RESPECT while your doing it.
I guess you have more respect for the Westboro Church crowds views than you do for the young americans that Volunteer to serve their country.
Amazing....

Thats why we need to bring back the draft...so you can do something for your country and get NO RESPECT while your doing it.
I guess you have more respect for the Westboro Church crowds views than you do for the young americans that Volunteer to serve their country.
Amazing....

as a soldier, I could give ****all if some douchebag sitting in the safety of his/her home has respect for what I do. I don't do it to get their respect (which, IMHO, is worth zippo anyway). I do it because I love my country and if "they" can't respect that...then they can either pick up a rifle and stand a watch or STFU

What's to love about real estate? Is it special because you happened to be born there?

What's to love about real estate? Is it special because you happened to be born there?

--------> point

---------> your head

but hey...thanks for playing :thumbs:

--------> point

---------> your head

but hey...thanks for playing :thumbs:

Actually I respect you as a person, for your posts, and for your choice of an honourable career, but if you post aggressive stuff - implying that those who do not share your career in the military are 'douchebags' and cowards, then you must expect some less than complimentary responses.

I understand that you hold your own country in high regard (few of us do not,) as it is a natural response to familiarity and the tribal instinct. Added to which, our respective family and friends are usually in the same society, so there can be lots of reasons for valuing and wishing to protect that society.

So while Manc Skipper's question might have been expressed a bit simplistically, it was nonetheless valid, and you could easily have answered it along the above lines - rather than what you said. :)

Actually I respect you as a person, for your posts, and for your choice of an honourable career, but if you post aggressive stuff - implying that those who do not share your career in the military are 'douchebags' and cowards, then you must expect some less than complimentary responses.

I understand that you hold your own country in high regard (few of us do not,) as it is a natural response to familiarity and the tribal instinct. Added to which, our respective family and friends are usually in the same society, so there can be lots of reasons for valuing and wishing to protect that society.

So while Manc Skipper's question might have been expressed a bit simplistically, it was nonetheless valid, and you could easily have answered it along the above lines - rather than what you said. :)

he and I have a history. I reply to people in the manner in which they make a habit of replying to me. nuff said

anyone who sits back and complains about what i do from the security that I provide is a douchebag. I never said anything about them being cowards

Last edited:
Not trying to be disrespectful here but I don't consider all troops heroes. I don't even know if I consider half of them heroes. I certainly don't believe they are heroes just because they are in the military. A lot of military men and women have done *horrible* things. I believe, just as with any person, you take them one at the time and judge them on an individual basis. With that said though, there have been many many examples of heroism by military men and women.

Many of the above posts cite execellent examples of heroism by our armed forces. That's fine. Everybody loves a hero.

These examples do not prove that ALL wwho serve are heros. I thought that the thread asked if all military members are heros.

I have great respect for the military, for police, firemen, any job where somebody puts their life on the line every day as part of the job. I don't think they are all heroes, though. Having respect for someone, and considering someone a hero, are two totally different things.

Back
Top Bottom