• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Sex Work Be Legal?

Should Sex Work Be Legal?

• Total voters
Basing law on personal morality?

Why persecute in a victimless crime?

Yes, law should definitely be based on morality.

By the same token, circles should be round.

Yes, law should definitely be based on morality.

By the same token, circles should be round.

What is moral and immoral are subjective.

Do we use your perspectives?

Do you prefer authoritarianism over liberty?

I tend to favor making prostitution legal, with some regulations. But I also understand it is often an unwholesome influence on families with children who live near places the hookers ply their trade. I strongly support the right of a majority in any state to make prostitution a crime, for no reason other than that they believe it is immoral and unacceptable. The same goes for other laws that criminalize adult incest, polygamy, bestiality, public nudity, adultery, and so forth on moral grounds.

What is moral and immoral are subjective.

On the contrary, there is no law, human or divine, which defines what is obligatory based on the opinions of the actor.

Do we use your perspectives?

Do you prefer authoritarianism over liberty?

I certainly prefer law over anarchy, yes.

Yes but highly, highly, highly regulated with substantially more resources put into policing trafficking.

I don't see that. Why regulate it highly. It is a pretty simple service/art.

Yes, to an extent. The government should not become the pimp, corruption is inevitable, and there will never be enough people to ensure exploitation doesn't happen, brothels and the like should be banned. Rather than having it over-taxed and over-regulated, it should be limited to a contract between two people. An individual can advertise themselves online or in newspapers or whatever, then they meet at a prearranged place and perform a prearranged activity for a prearranged amount of time. The money is taxed as any other income. People can set standards for safety at a level that suits themselves, and if rape or sexual assault occurs, they can seek help from the police without fear of reprisal.

It's the free market solution. :lol:

Not wanting to shock any of the nice people here, but sex work may not be legal in most places, but I can name a few places where it is pretty much ignored by law enforcement.

The best is Ft Lauderdale. Hookers can walk the walk as long as they look like normal tourists. You know the difference between them and a cop, in that the cop will look much more fit and they also will not get in your car. A legit hooker will get in your car, first and foremost, then touch you someplace nice and ask you to touch her someplace nice. Cops are not allowed to do that. They are also only about $40 or so. Everything is on the menu.

Cops ARE allowed to lie to you if you ask the lady if she is a cop or not. They can say no and it is legal for them to say no to you.

Also in Ft Lauderdale is a newspaper that has all kinds of ads in the back of it for sexual businesses. These are a bit more ($200 range / hour), but the talent is also the best quality.

I only know this from theory. I would NEVER do such a shameful act myself, of course.

(be glad I do not know how to post pictures on this site...;) )

I see no reason it should be illegal to accept money for an activity that it is perfectly legal to engage in for free, or to be paid for in front of a camera.

I'm going to form an 80s-style tech-pop group and call it "Sex Work"

Not wanting to shock any of the nice people here, but sex work may not be legal in most places, but I can name a few places where it is pretty much ignored by law enforcement.

The best is Ft Lauderdale. Hookers can walk the walk as long as they look like normal tourists. You know the difference between them and a cop, in that the cop will look much more fit and they also will not get in your car. A legit hooker will get in your car, first and foremost, then touch you someplace nice and ask you to touch her someplace nice. Cops are not allowed to do that. They are also only about $40 or so. Everything is on the menu.

Cops ARE allowed to lie to you if you ask the lady if she is a cop or not. They can say no and it is legal for them to say no to you.

Also in Ft Lauderdale is a newspaper that has all kinds of ads in the back of it for sexual businesses. These are a bit more ($200 range / hour), but the talent is also the best quality.

I only know this from theory. I would NEVER do such a shameful act myself, of course.

(be glad I do not know how to post pictures on this site...;) )

Tampa is pretty dirty with the hookers. Basically, Florida likes prostitutes.

I think they should be subjected to strict licensing schemes, should be forced to submit to routine STD testing, should be required to procure substantial liability insurance, there should be background checks on all sex workers to ensure they haven't been coerced or trafficked into the business, etc. Also I would subject it to a hefty sin tax on the part of the buyer to generate revenue.

Now way...then the price would go from $40 to $400 like it is in Nevada. Their prices are ridiculous.

Now way...then the price would go from $40 to $400 like it is in Nevada. Their prices are ridiculous.

Yeah, but you also probably aren't going to get scabies. You get what you pay for.

I hate to say it, because I believe sex work is fundamentally morally degrading for both the sex worker and the customer, but yes... sex work should be legal.

Simply put, there isn't a single anti-sex-work law designed to protect women from being exploited that hasn't been turned around by some asshole prosecutor or another into a weapon to further victimize women who have been forced into this abhorrent career. This is a case of a profound societal wrong that cannot be addressed by the law because any proposed law will cause more harm than it solves.

ahhhmm....the "degradation" costs extra.

I would prefer to see the ladies working in a protected environment rather than walking the streets, or being beat up by some pimp. The profession will never go away as history has proven to us all, so why not at least protect the ladies from some of the hazards they face every day.

Absolutely not. Even if we were to concede to the threadbare argument that purging society of a vice is an impossibility, the state should at the very least refrain from facilitating it. It'd be hypocritical of those advocating for prostitution's legalization to expect governmental regulation, as the basis of their argument is that the government has no business coming between people's genitalia. Consequently, the legalization of prostitution will inevitably harm society, and that's more than enough of a utilitarian ground for its prohibition.

I tend to favor making prostitution legal, with some regulations. But I also understand it is often an unwholesome influence on families with children who live near places the hookers ply their trade. I strongly support the right of a majority in any state to make prostitution a crime, for no reason other than that they believe it is immoral and unacceptable. The same goes for other laws that criminalize adult incest, polygamy, bestiality, public nudity, adultery, and so forth on moral grounds.

matchlight...that is EXACTLY how the state of Colorado got its shape. If you look at it, it looks like it was superimposed over all its bordering states...kinda like it was dropped down over them.

Wel....that is what happened. Colorado's surrounding states were primarily agricultural / ranching states. Colorado is primarily a MINING state.

MINERS like to drink, whore around, and get rowdy. Therefore they cut the borders of Colorado so they would leave the "good folks" alone.

Each state gave up a little piece and gave Colorado its shape.

So you see, "giving up a little piece" is not such a bad thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you also probably aren't going to get scabies. You get what you pay for.

You won't get any STD's if you keep your head and don't be stupid.

But, I will give you this, some men, when it comes to sex, can be pretty stupid.

I would prefer to see the ladies working in a protected environment rather than walking the streets, or being beat up by some pimp. The profession will never go away as history has proven to us all, so why not at least protect the ladies from some of the hazards they face every day.

...and also protect the inexperienced John, who is dumb enough to pay the lady while she is still in the car, just to have her jump out at the next red light and run.

I think they should be subjected to strict licensing schemes, should be forced to submit to routine STD testing, should be required to procure substantial liability insurance, there should be background checks on all sex workers to ensure they haven't been coerced or trafficked into the business, etc. Also I would subject it to a hefty sin tax on the part of the buyer to generate revenue.

Perhaps there is a reasonable middle ground between your take on this and my initial post.

While I understand why you are asking for all these things, the level of government needed to make it happen would be a real effort.

matchlight...that is EXACTLY how the state of Colorado got its shape. If you look at it, it looks like it was superimposed over all its bordering states...kinda like it was dropped down over them.

Wel....that is what happened. Colorado's surrounding states were primarily agricultural / ranching states. Colorado is primarily a MINING state.

MINERS like to drink, whore around, and get rowdy. Therefore they cut the borders of Colorado so they would leave the "good folks" alone.

Each state gave up a little piece and gave Colorado its shape.

So you see, "giving up a little piece" is not such a bad thing.

Don't know if that's a true story. The way you tell it, though, it's a funny one. But I always thought a lot of those ranch hands liked to drink, whore around and get rowdy, too.

Back
Top Bottom