• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should schools teach proper history?

Should schools teach proper history?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't believe in public education.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sure. But only if you are the one that decides what is "proper" or not. We damned sure don't want anyone to teach anything improper and mess up the whole system.

Even if that history paints America in a very, very bad light.
Absolutely. Hold back on the more upsetting tragedies until age 12 or so, but after that no truth should be barred.

We simply cannot progress as a nation as long as we are fooling ourselves.

History, American history and world history, have been requirements in my home state since WAYYYYYY back then. I doubt thats been changed.

Seems like a silly question to ask quite frankly.

I think you are really asking "Should schools teach students that White people, especially the fabulously successful and prosperous European White Male, are inherently evil and 'racist', and responsible for most if not all of society's ills, and also preventing any non-European White Male person from succeeding in life?"

Is that what you are really asking? Because if it is then no, I dont think that should happen.

But for now I'll say "other", History is already taught in school.

Sure. But only if you are the one that decides what is "proper" or not. We damned sure don't want anyone to teach anything improper and mess up the whole system.
That has already been done.

We simply cannot progress as a nation as long as we are fooling ourselves.

I'm not fooling myself. Are you fooling yourself? Why are you doing that?

no. i think we should lie to our children about slavery and native americans and stuff.

That stuff is already taught in American history. Except maybe in places like Mississippi, W.Va., Alabama, maybe some others where they might teach that the Magic Sky Man is responsible for it all? I dunno.

Not only should accurate and full history be taught, but so should current events such as legalized corruption and the power stranglehold of the super-rich and greedy powerful.

We've been sugar-coating things far too long, and look where it has gotten us.

First of all, without conflict, history, like any narrative, is a crashing bore. This country's history has had a basic conflict that can begin with Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence and owned slaves. Our history has been the the effort to reconcile the thinking that has gone into protecting each side of this conflict. The only way to do this is to acknowledge and analyze the bad parts and identify their consequences today. Of course it can make white people uncomfortable, but that is no reason to deny the truth. The truth can set you free. And that is what we should all be after.

If the oppressors were widely exposed it would mess up their power when hard-working people found out en masse that they have been getting ripped off for their entire life's efforts.

Proper History?

Yes schools should teach the truth about America, even about the warts and wrinkles and flaws of her missteps and mistakes, alongside her good and noble and admirable qualities.

If that is what you consider "proper history" then so be it.

One must understand that finding that balance between the telling of the good alongside the bad would be best left to the experts in education to find the "proper" balance for elementary and high school American History classes. It should not be a political power play over what is taught and or ignored.

Can you give some examples of "proper history" that American schools aren't teaching (or that they are teaching, and that anyone of consequence is objecting to)?

Can you give some examples of "proper history" that American schools aren't teaching (or that they are teaching, and that anyone of consequence is objecting to)?

We can start at the beginning: America was founded on genocide and slavery, which has had systemic ramifications until present day.

Proper History?

Yes schools should teach the truth about America, even about the warts and wrinkles and flaws of her missteps and mistakes, alongside her good and noble and admirable qualities.

One must understand that finding that balance between the telling of the good alongside the bad would be best left to the experts in education to find the "proper" balance for elementary and high school American History classes. It should not be a political power play over what is taught and or ignored.
Exactly. Our history involves overcoming adversity and mistakes, not merely wallowing in misery and self-loathing.

Exactly. Our history involves overcoming adversity and mistakes, not merely wallowing in misery and self-loathing.

I'm not sure if its law yet, but Florida is pushing for bans on education that makes white people feel bad.

I'm not sure if its law yet, but Florida is pushing for bans on education that makes white people feel bad.
Link to the law. Not the biased headline and obligatory "analysis" but the actual text of the law. If you're the one that gets to decide what is proper then show us all why your interpretation is the right one.

Proper History?

Probably a bad choice of phrasing. I mean actual history.

If actual history reveals various truths that have an ideological lean, should those lessons be banned?

Link to the law. Not the biased headline and obligatory "analysis" but the actual text of the law. If you're the one that gets to decide what is proper then show us all why your interpretation is the right one.

"A Florida state Senate committee on Thursday advanced a bill that would prohibit making white people feel "discomfort" when taught or trained about past discrimination in public schools and private businesses.

The bill, S.B. 148, would prevent school educators from teaching subjects that could make students feel responsible for historical wrongs based on their race, sex or national origin.

In private businesses, training or employment practices that make an individual feel uncomfortable on similar grounds could be subject to a company lawsuit for unlawful employment practices."

There is a link to the actual bill in the article.

We can start at the beginning: America was founded on genocide and slavery, which has had systemic ramifications until present day.

You didn't answer my question. Do you think that schools aren't teaching that the US (and the Spanish, French, and British colonies before it, as well as pretty much every other country in the world) had slavery, or that the settlement of the Americas by Europeans had a horrible effect on the indigenous population (just like pretty much every other example of colonialism in history), or that anyone of consequence objects to those facts being taught?

Back
Top Bottom