• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Rosa Parks be burried in capitol hills cemetary?

Sould Rosa Parks be burried in Capitol Hills graveyard?

  • Yes

    Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No

    Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Whose Rosa Parks?

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Who cares

    Votes: 3 10.3%

  • Total voters
    29

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Some are arguing the place of burial of Parks. The reason being is becasue the place where she is getting burried are only for Great politicians, Presidents, and brave military officers and she obvously doesnt meet any of that criteria. There are app only 30 people burried at the site.

Now should we say screw the qualifications that we have had for generations or should we say the hell with them and let anyone be burried there?

Some see this honor as disproportionate.

IMHO, this woman was a great individual and she was without a doubt very brave. And she deserves great honor and rememberance.

With that said IMHO its a piece of ground for christ sakes who gives a dam where they lay casue they arent. They could care less where they are. Not to mention its a graveyard. Why are you going to get all worked up on where someone is going to rest in peace? IMO its kinda rediculous. But I wanted to ask what you had to say.
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I've never seen a bigger deal made over someone who didn't deserve it. She did stand up for her rights, was arrested, and paid a fine. Does that make her a hero, like the liberal media keep blaring? Nooooooo. I'm tired of the trivialization of that word. Heros are e.g. american soldiers who go out every day in iraq and fight the IFs. She's actually a new category of "hero" - a hero because the media says she is.
 

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
153
Location
South Shore of Long Island.
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
She is a hero. She is what instigated the civil rights movement. She started a revolution and really it was a revolution cause it brought change. And she did it non violently.

Oh yeah and why would american soldiers be heroes but not Rosa Parks? Do you have to shoot people in order to fit the criteria of being a hero? No you don't.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Rosa parks just refused to get out of her seat because she was tired.Her ties to the civil rights group is what got her attention.There were proably other black people during that time who refused to leave their seat and the only thing they most likely got was a jail sentence and a a beating.
 

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
2,272
Reaction score
153
Location
South Shore of Long Island.
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
True. she was what the NAACP was waiting for in order to start the whole civil rights movement cause she was a quiet woman who took a stand. But regardless, she encompasses the image of all those african americans who took a stand against segregation and for that she should be considered a hero/heroine (whatever you prefer.)
 

ngdawg

conliberaservatarianist
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
2,149
Reaction score
24
Location
trackside
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
jamesrage said:
Rosa parks just refused to get out of her seat because she was tired.Her ties to the civil rights group is what got her attention.There were proably other black people during that time who refused to leave their seat and the only thing they most likely got was a jail sentence and a a beating.
Actually, that is a myth. Several blacks on the bus were told to give up their seats and when a white man told the driver he wanted hers, she refused to give it up. Rosa Parks was already a member of the NAACP at the time. When she refused to get out of her seat, it wasn't only because she was tired. Several blacks on the bus were told to give up their seats and when a white man told the driver he wanted hers, she refused to give it up. (Besides, a man ordering a woman to get up so HE can sit is just tyrannical anyway, tired or not). She didn't think, rightly so, that she should have to move. The driver called the police who told her if she did not move, she would be arrested. "So then, arrest me," was her reply. She said her decision to remain seated, defying the rules, was based on dignity and decency, but she did not intend to be the catalyst for what followed. Immediately following the incident and subsequent arrest, the bus boycott was started. Since 70% of the bus ridership was black, it was a major incident which came to the attention of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. The boycott lasted 382 days, a suit was brought challenging the constitutionality of Alabama's segregation laws, which were struck down by the Supreme Court in 1956, paving the way for the national civil rights movement.
Uh, yea...she IS a hero....
http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-10-25-voa3.cfm
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Orignally posted by ngdawg
Rosa Parks was already a member of the NAACP at the time.
Thats my point.If it was not for her membership or affiliation she would have been another black person behind bars and possibly getting the snot beat out of her for "******* off the whiteman".The ones who deserve attention are the ones who did have any affiliation or membership of a civil rights group.
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
FinnMacCool said:
She is a hero. She is what instigated the civil rights movement. She started a revolution and really it was a revolution cause it brought change. And she did it non violently.

Oh yeah and why would american soldiers be heroes but not Rosa Parks? Do you have to shoot people in order to fit the criteria of being a hero? No you don't.
Well said! I agree!

There are certain people in our history whose actions define a generation or a great change in our society. Rosa Parks did exactly that.

I'm always ashamed of some Americans who are so full of $hit that they make up things to make their point in this community! How anyone can write that Rosa Parks was created by the media is astounding.

The level of stupidity / paranoia necessary to write that media created a true American legend is beyond comprehension.

Finn...your post, on the other hand was beautifully expressed and provides proper focus.
 

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
4,145
Reaction score
1,638
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I vote "other". Build a memorial in Alabama and bury her there.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Originally Posted by 26 X World Champs
I'm always ashamed of some Americans who are so full of $hit that they make up things to make their point in this community! How anyone can write that Rosa Parks was created by the media is astounding.

The level of stupidity / paranoia necessary to write that media created a true American legend is beyond comprehension.
Who are these people spreading rumors?
 
H

HTColeman

Binary_Digit said:
I vote "other". Build a memorial in Alabama and bury her there.
That, IMHO, is actually a pretty good idea, a Rosa Parks memorial cemetary, it is much more personal and fitting.

Oh yeah, jamesrage, if it was up to you, you would probably rather have buses segregated. Give credit where it is due, she accomplished a whole lot more than you ever will.
 

SKILMATIC

Banned
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
0
Location
San Diego
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Let me just reiterate that noone is doubting he greatness and honor. She should be honored in every shape and form. However, the argument is this. It is becasue the honor that she is up for has only been reserved for presidents, great military leaders, and great politicians. She doesnt qualify for those requirements. That is why this in known as for alot of people a disproportionate honor.

Personlly, I can care less where they bury her cause she will just rot like everyone else that is 6ft under. Not to mention she wont care anyway once shes dead.

IMO it should be up to her where she wants to be burried.
 
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
1,670
Reaction score
17
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I think she's deserving of being buried in Arlington but its obviously up to her family.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Oh yeah, jamesrage, if it was up to you, you would probably rather have buses segregated. Give credit where it is due, she accomplished a whole lot more than you ever will.
Obviously you failed miserably to read the part where I said the ones who deserve the attention where the ones who were not affiliated with any civll rights group.In other words the average black person in that time who more than likely got sent to jail and more than likely the got the snot beat out of him or her,those are the ones who deserve the attention.You honestly beleave Rosa Parks was the first black person to refuse to give up her seat?

Of course you are liberal so naturally you want to paint anyone with different views as a racist or bigot.
 

dragonslayer

Counselor
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
139
Location
Pacific Northwest, Oregon
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
jamesrage said:
Rosa parks just refused to get out of her seat because she was tired.Her ties to the civil rights group is what got her attention.There were proably other black people during that time who refused to leave their seat and the only thing they most likely got was a jail sentence and a a beating.
What cemetery is JFK buried in. Put her along side JFK. Neoconservatives have no imagination and can no one as a hero unless they has at least a hundred million dollars
 

cherith

New member
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Rosa Parks will be the most honest and honorable person to have ever been burried there.
 
H

HTColeman

jamesrage said:
Obviously you failed miserably to read the part where I said the ones who deserve the attention where the ones who were not affiliated with any civll rights group.In other words the average black person in that time who more than likely got sent to jail and more than likely the got the snot beat out of him or her,those are the ones who deserve the attention.You honestly beleave Rosa Parks was the first black person to refuse to give up her seat?

Of course you are liberal so naturally you want to paint anyone with different views as a racist or bigot.
I call it as I see it, most of your posts seem to resent minorities, muslims, poor who happen to be minorities, etc.

Rosa Parks was one of the first and the only one who sparked national change, she had sat in the white section before in 1943, before she got arrested for it in 1955. And yes, there were others that they even took to court, Irene Morgan was one of them. But Rosa Parks was known for being a good citizen in Montgomery, and her case led to the questioning of all segregation. And furthermore, afterwards, she didn't just let it go, she continued to speak out and lost her job because of it, her husband also lost his job. But she kept on speaking out, not many would speak out. And she was not a tired seamstress, she said she was "tired of giving in".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_parks
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
HTColeman said:
I call it as I see it, most of your posts seem to resent minorities, muslims, poor who happen to be minorities, etc.

Rosa Parks was one of the first and the only one who sparked national change, she had sat in the white section before in 1943, before she got arrested for it in 1955. And yes, there were others that they even took to court, Irene Morgan was one of them. But Rosa Parks was known for being a good citizen in Montgomery, and her case led to the questioning of all segregation. And furthermore, afterwards, she didn't just let it go, she continued to speak out and lost her job because of it, her husband also lost his job. But she kept on speaking out, not many would speak out. And she was not a tired seamstress, she said she was "tired of giving in".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_parks
Naahh - Parks merely performed a small act of resistance, (and probably millions of such small acts were occuring at the time) and it happened to be the incident that MLK picked up on and organized the boycott - she didn't. She's no hero.
 
H

HTColeman

alphamale said:
Naahh - Parks merely performed a small act of resistance, (and probably millions of such small acts were occuring at the time) and it happened to be the incident that MLK picked up on and organized the boycott - she didn't. She's no hero.
Once again, the other people who might have done what she did, did not have a previous reputation that warranted a major change in America. How many of you would have risked you and your family's livelihood, and possibly their lives. Rosa Parks could have just gotten up from the seat and lived a perfectly normal life like everyone else, she had a pretty good income, a husband, children, a home, etc, but she sacrificed that for the black community. It is not just the act, it is what she sacrificed, and the result of the act. MLK said, "Actually no one can understand the action of Mrs. Parks unless he realizes that eventually the cup of endurance runs over, and the human personality cries out, 'I can take it no longer.' " It seems that unless someone is assasinated, they aren't a hero. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_parks (quote)

Definition of hero from www.dictionary.com

A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life
Courage, check, she willingly went to jail and spoke her mind,
Nobility of purpose, check, she did not think she should have to get up and then she stood by her belief
Risked her life, check, she knew that many before her were killed for advocating civil rights, but did it anyway
 

Deegan

DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
I think she deserves to be laid there, not just because she was a hero, but because she should be remembered, what she fought for should be remembered, always. I am sure Rosa would say that it's the struggle that should be most remembered, not her, but she was very modest. I thought it was quite a special honor, and I think it did the country a lot of good, this will just add to that, I hope.
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
"Actually no one can understand the action of Mrs. Parks unless he realizes that eventually the cup of endurance runs over, and the human personality cries out, 'I can take it no longer.' "
Hmmmm .... kind of like how I feel about "affirmative action" and PC.

A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life
She didn't risk her life - she paid a fine and went home.
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,339
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Originally Posted by HTColeman
I call it as I see it, most of your posts seem to resent minorities, muslims, poor who happen to be minorities, etc.
Please back up your acusations of me or shut the **** up if you are not going to back up your claims of me.

Originally Posted by HTColeman
Rosa Parks was one of the first and the only one who sparked national change, she had sat in the white section before in 1943, before she got arrested for it in 1955. And yes, there were others that they even took to court, Irene Morgan was one of them. But Rosa Parks was known for being a good citizen in Montgomery, and her case led to the questioning of all segregation. And furthermore, afterwards, she didn't just let it go, she continued to speak out and lost her job because of it, her husband also lost his job. But she kept on speaking out, not many would speak out. And she was not a tired seamstress, she said she was "tired of giving in".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_parks
By the looks of it you are trying to make it seem as though she had a bigger role than Martin Luther King Jr.Rosa Parks did what other black people in her time did who were sick of the system,she got the fame because of her affiliation with the NAACP.http://www.africanaonline.com/rosa_parks.htm
In 1943, when Rosa Rosa Parks actually joined the NAACP, her involvement with the organization became even greater.
Yeah she was a model citizen,but I find it hard to beleave that she was the only model citizen who was sick of the system.
 

26 X World Champs

DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Deegan said:
I think she deserves to be laid there, not just because she was a hero, but because she should be remembered, what she fought for should be remembered, always. I am sure Rosa would say that it's the struggle that should be most remembered, not her, but she was very modest. I thought it was quite a special honor, and I think it did the country a lot of good, this will just add to that, I hope.
Deegan...you and I rarely agree, but this time I agree with you 100%! Good post, well said, right on.

Throughout history people have becomes symbols for a greater good, and Rosa Parks is one of those people.
 
H

HTColeman

alphamale said:
She didn't risk her life - she paid a fine and went home.
She did risk her life, the bombing of the church in Birmingham, the murder of Emmit Till, hell, MLK was shot for advocating civil rights, Malcolm X was assasinated for advocating civil rights. These are what we know, countless people have been killed for advocating civil rights, and Rosa Parks knew this when she made her stand public.
 
Top Bottom