• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

should public schools allow fighting

should fighting be allowed in school

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diomedes2012

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
like most of my threads i want to hear your opinion before posting mine. this allows me to hear an opinion instead of the bashing of mine.

hmmmm.....like as a sport or class where people signed up? Maybe.

But as in one jackasssss may physically attack someone with no consequences so our schools become some sort of survival of the fittest science project...definitely NOPE.

diomedes2012 said:
like most of my threads i want to hear your opinion before posting mine. this allows me to hear an opinion instead of the bashing of mine.

if two kids got a problem, they can wait till schools out, and take it somewhere else and fight it out.

but maybe i'm old fashioned.

Reminds me of one of our high school "cheers" cited often at pep rallies and football games.

"Kick 'em in the head. Stomp 'em in the mud. Tear their hairy arms off. Blood! Blood! Blood!":rofl

Fighting should not be "allowed" anywhere except in sport...Boxing...Karate...etc.

Any acknowledgement that fighting is a viable alternative in settling disagreements instead of communicating through by discussion or non-violent means will and is misinterpreted as acceptance…

There is no fine line.

let me paint a scenario.

say a school allows two people to fight in a certain area of the school designated for fighting. then say that one of the two is the kid that is oh lets say getting picked on. they both agree too a fight to just end it because the "weaker" kid is actually able to fend for himself but doesnt really like fighting because he will get in trouble. this allows for the chance to defend himself.

but anyways what if two people were able to fight in a semi-controlled way. so that no one else would get hurt or no one else would jump into the fight. then say that both people agree. its actually a very complicated matter.

as for those people who say "talking it out is the only way it should be done" i have to disagree. there are cases where talking only makes things worse. especially when a student goes to the teacher or principal and reports getting picked on. say the kid is kicked out of school for a few days. well sooner or later he is going to be back with a vengance. fighting is a part of life whether it is verbal or physical. in fighting it isnt about how strong you are its how you use what you have. please contradict me so i can clarify my ideas in a more concentrated form. its not a very simple matter to discuss.

BodiSatva said:
Fighting should not be "allowed" anywhere except in sport...Boxing...Karate...etc.

Any acknowledgement that fighting is a viable alternative in settling disagreements instead of communicating through by discussion or non-violent means will and is misinterpreted as acceptance…

There is no fine line.

people shouldnt use violence in the first place, your right. but if some bully is using it to get their way at school, the most effective way to stop them is to beat the crap out of them.

communicating through discussion requires two participants.

diomedes2012 said:
let me paint a scenario.

say a school allows two people to fight in a certain area of the school designated for fighting. then say that one of the two is the kid that is oh lets say getting picked on. they both agree too a fight to just end it because the "weaker" kid is actually able to fend for himself but doesnt really like fighting because he will get in trouble. this allows for the chance to defend himself.

but anyways what if two people were able to fight in a semi-controlled way. so that no one else would get hurt or no one else would jump into the fight. then say that both people agree. its actually a very complicated matter.

as for those people who say "talking it out is the only way it should be done" i have to disagree. there are cases where talking only makes things worse. especially when a student goes to the teacher or principal and reports getting picked on. say the kid is kicked out of school for a few days. well sooner or later he is going to be back with a vengance. fighting is a part of life whether it is verbal or physical. in fighting it isnt about how strong you are its how you use what you have. please contradict me so i can clarify my ideas in a more concentrated form. its not a very simple matter to discuss.

If kids want to fight in a controlled environment their parents should sign them up for karate or something. I'm not about to endorse street fighting in schools. A child could get hurt. Furthermore neither I or my husband have been in a physical altercation in our adult lives. Adults generally don't duke it out. Schools should set this example by not allowing children to street fight. Teaching kids they can punch someone sets them up for jail time later in life. I don't see the benefit. Most adults function in our society without fighting. Do we want to raise a generation of children that does otherwise?

Tax dollars are spent on public schools to educate children they are not spent to allow children to fight.If kids want to fight they will have to do it on their time, not on the tax payer's money.

In order to educate students properly, the schools must maintain a safe environment for them. This means that they cannot tolerate fighting, harrassment, or any other such nonsense and still do their job.

I'm fully in favor of the schools providing direct instruction in combat techniques, however. The ability to fight is an important part of being a citizen of any free society-- and confidence in one's physical prowess tends to build confidence in the other aspects of one's life.

What grade are you in, diomedes2012?

For those who have said things like:

diomedes2012 - "as for those people who say "talking it out is the only way it should be done" i have to disagree. there are cases where talking only makes things worse. "

star2589 - "if some bully is using it to get their way at school, the most effective way to stop them is to beat the crap out of them."

All I can say is...this thread is about, "should public schools allow fighting"? It is not about why fighting is sometimes necessary.

Thank you vergiss..."What grade are you in, diomedes2012?"

I say again...
Bodi - "Fighting should not be "allowed" anywhere except in sport...Boxing...Karate...etc.

There is no fine line."

So NO. FIGHTING SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.

If you think that fighting should be allowed...great...you are an a person that should never be listened to again by anybody in any medium for any reason. There is only one answer to this question...

Start another thread about when and why it is necessary to fight and then we can discuss that.

should fighting be allowed in schools? of course not, if it were, all civil debate would end in a brawl. BUT, should non-violence be preached and recited disredarding individual circumstances? of course not. a common example, one student threatens and then takes a swing at another, who then defends himself, both are disciplined. Ridiculous. But if were talking about sports, probably not, at least not until high school.

Back
Top Bottom