• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should Prisoners ne allowed to vote?

Plain old me

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Okay doke...in the UK an ex-prisoner has taken the Government to the EU court of Human Rights, saying that Britian not allowing those currently serving a prison sentence the vote is a breach of the European Convention on Human Rights, of which the UK is a signitory.

The Court ruled he was correct, that this was a breach of human rights and now steps are being taken to correct this...at the moment it is quite hazy as to what will happen, its been suggested that the vote will be dependant on the prison you go to (ie. those that go to a lower category prison - where the focus is on rehabilitation - will be allowed the vote), another is the idea it should depend on the crime commited.

So what do you think? Should prisoners be allowed to vote...or should denial of this be part of their punishment?

Old and wise said:
Bunch of bull. Prisoners should never be allowed to vote.

Old and Wise, you must also think slavery should be brought back. Give me a freaking break. I understand they broke the law, but they are human as well.

If you break the rules, you should not be allowed to choose the people who make the rules.

Prisoners should NOT be allowed to vote until they've been released. And they should have no rights (except those under the Geneva Con). They took away someone else's right to live, and whatever else.

We all know who they'd vote for anyways. Someone like John Edwards, some punk that wants to let criminals go cuz "they didn't mean to do it" or "it's society's fault". Criminal lawyers make me sick!

Donkey1499 said:
Prisoners should NOT be allowed to vote until they've been released. And they should have no rights (except those under the Geneva Con). They took away someone else's right to live, and whatever else.

We all know who they'd vote for anyways. Someone like John Edwards, some punk that wants to let criminals go cuz "they didn't mean to do it" or "it's society's fault". Criminal lawyers make me sick!

Criminal lawyers make me sick!

They're just doing their job. I work for a criminal lawyer and we get people off all the time. PRISONERS HAVE RIGHTS TOO.:2wave:

wxcrazytwo said:
They're just doing their job. I work for a criminal lawyer and we get people off all the time. PRISONERS HAVE RIGHTS TOO.:2wave:

Yeah they do have rights...

The right to live, the right to eat, the right for shelter, and the right to not be physically mistreated. Besides that, they are owed nothing. Once a convicted felon has gotten out of prision they may then begin to rejoin society and regain their rights.

You committed the crime. Why give criminals the right to shape government when they don't live within the laws? Part of your punishment is the forfeiture of those rights.

wxcrazytwo said:

Usually more then victims nowadays, thank god for lawyers...LOL just kiddin

Calm2Chaos said:
Usually more then victims nowadays, thank god for lawyers...LOL just kiddin

Agreed...agreed!! :applaud

Although in our society, everyone has the right to fair representation, it seems to be that some people can buy their right to commit a crime. Being a criminal lawyer is a tricky thing... on one hand you have the opportunity to save people who are wrongly accused; on the other hand you might have to make the decision bewteen sitting on the right or left side of satan for all the wrong you do as well.

wxcrazytwo said:

You help get them off? Tell me, how well do you sleep at night?

wxcrazytwo said:
Old and Wise, you must also think slavery should be brought back. Give me a freaking break. I understand they broke the law, but they are human as well.

Why the stupid reaction to his opinion? Why are you assuming he thinks anything about slavery?

Some prisoners are less than human. DNA alone does not equate to humanity. If they act in an inhuman way, as most violent prisoners do, then they can be excused from the human race until they die, or decide to behave.
There are people on this earth we can do without. Sanctity of life, freedom, rights, etc. should only apply to those who allow others the same.

UtahBill said:
There are people on this earth we can do without. Sanctity of life, freedom, rights, etc. should only apply to those who allow others the same.

yes, thats pretty much my opinion as well. I think if you decide to break the law of a society, then you negate the privilages you had as a part of that society. When a pupil misbehaves you remove them from the class and remove their privilages...when an adult commits a serious crime you isolate them and remove thier privilages ie. the right to vote.

Back
Top Bottom