• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should politicians be forced to recite the constitution?

• Total voters

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Many argue that we make police remind suspects of their constitutional rights in order to prevent police abuse and to make sure the police do not violate rights.Personally I feel that no one should remind you of your rights seeing how went to school. So why shouldn't politicians be required to recite the constitution before they write a law or vote for a new law/bill in order to make sure that they do not violate the constitution? After all they make law so shouldn't the people who write the laws be required to recite the bill of rights anytime they want to vote for or write a law? Surely if we make those who enforce the law remind suspects of their rights then surely a stricter similar standard should be applied to law makers.

Yes anytime they write a new law/bill/amendment to a bill.
Yes anytime they vote for a new law/bill/amendment.
No(please explain)
Maybe/Other/I do not know

Last edited:
No.

Memorizing or reciting anything does not mean anything other than you have memorized or recited something.

I could learn the national anthem of Bolivia by heart but it doesn't mean I would agree with it or would follow it.

Forcing people to do things to prove their "Americanism" or patriotism seems to me to be the exact opposite of what America is supposed to be about.

Many argue that we make police remind suspects of their constitutional rights in order to prevent police abuse and to make sure the police do not violate rights.Personally I feel that no one should remind you of your rights seeing how went to school. So why shouldn't politicians be required to recite the constitution before they write a law or vote for a new law/bill in order to make sure that they do not violate the constitution? After all they make law so shouldn't the people who write the laws be required to recite the bill of rights anytime they want to vote for or write a law? Surely if we make those who enforce the law remind suspects of their rights then surely a stricter similar standard should be applied to law makers.

No(please explain)
Absolutely.....even better, make them write it out longhand a hundred times every time they violate it.

No.

Memorizing or reciting anything does not mean anything other than you have memorized or recited something.

I could learn the national anthem of Bolivia by heart but it doesn't mean I would agree with it or would follow it.

Forcing people to do things to prove their "Americanism" or patriotism seems to me to be the exact opposite of what America is supposed to be about.

We force law enforcement to remind suspects of their rights so why shouldn't law makers be reminded of the rights of their employers before making or voting for laws? This isn't about forcing people to prove their Americanism or Patriotism but to remind them of their duties.

Last edited:
Honestly, what will reciting the Constitution do? It won't change anything, they know about the Constitution yet they chose to vote against it. With wishful thinking and denial, anyone can interpret the constitution however they want, so reciting it won't do much good.

No.

I think you missed the point of this exercise, it is to remind them of their pledge, their duty, and their responsibility. It's also to inform them when they are violating the constitution by airing it out for all to see.

I think you missed the point of this exercise, it is to remind them of their pledge, their duty, and their responsibility. It's also to inform them when they are violating the constitution by airing it out for all to see.

I think in a liberal's mind it is a Loyalty pledge for a politician to be reminded of their pledge, their duty, and their responsibility.

No(please explain)

I don't think it matters.

We make them take an oath to uphold it, which the routinely violate and nothing happens to them.
At this point, probably not.

Yay! More mass-mailed tripe which doesn't really solve the problem! Woo-hoo!

I think in a liberal's mind it is a Loyalty pledge for a politician to be reminded of their pledge, their duty, and their responsibility.

Or maybe we recognize that even the most traitorous scum can memorize or read something and have it mean nothing to them.

This is a meaningless exercise that will solve nothing.

I don't think it matters.

We make them take an oath to uphold it, which the routinely violate and nothing happens to them.
At this point, probably not.

People violate various laws all the time, should we legalize crimes like murder,theft and various other crimes? If these clowns have to recite the constitution on C-span, public access government tv anytime they write a law or vote for it them it might make sure that some of these politicians do not vote for or write laws that violate the constitution.

This is the sort of grandstanding crap that has replaced real political debate. Every politician talks about how much they love the constitution with nothing but empty rhetoric. Words, especially from a politicians mouth, aren't worth ****.

People violate various laws all the time, should we legalize crimes like murder,theft and various other crimes? If these clowns have to recite the constitution on C-span, public access government tv anytime they write a law or vote for it them it might make sure that some of these politicians do not vote for or write laws that violate the constitution.

I'm just being realistic.
They are allowed to do what ever they want in most circumstances.
Nothings really going to change that.

Or maybe we recognize that even the most traitorous scum can memorize or read something and have it mean nothing to them.

This is a meaningless exercise that will solve nothing.
If it will accomplish nothing then you should have no problem with these politicians having to recite the constitution before they write a law or vote for a law. Just like laws against murder, theft, fraud, and so on its not going to stop everyone, it doesn't mean those laws should be abolished. I am pretty sure that if senator douche bag has to read recite the bill or rights on C-span before he votes then it might make he consider whether or not he should vote for or against a proposed law.

No(please explain)

Only if we also make businessmen recite the statutes of corporate law before all business meetings as well.

I'm just being realistic.
They are allowed to do what ever they want in most circumstances.
Nothings really going to change that.

If it doesn't make them think twice before voting for or writing an unconstitutional law then something like this would be used as political ammo against incumbent during a primary or general election. It might have more of an impact of voters if a congressman or a senator is on a c-span video reciting the constitution and then seconds later voting for something that blatantly violates the constitution.

If it doesn't make them think twice before voting for or writing an unconstitutional law then something like this would be used as political ammo against incumbent during a primary or general election. It might have more of an impact of voters if a congressman or a senator is on a c-span video reciting the constitution and then seconds later voting for something that blatantly violates the constitution.

They won't put themselves in that position in the first place.
Something like that wouldn't pass and even if it did, most people don't care.

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you but the reality is that very little matters when it comes to them doing unconstitutional stuff.

What good would reciting the constitution do? It's a piece of paper in the hands of liars and deceivers in a town full of people who practice self-preservation above all else.

If you lie in court, you have broken the law.
If you lie inside the military, you are in violation of the UCMJ.

But if you are a politician, you are expected to lie and most even get re-elected. Our politicians don't have a lack of constitutional understanding. They manipulate and alter as they go. What they have is moral depravity. Who cares what's good for the country as long as it's good for the party.

Last edited:
The problem isn't people knowing the words and being able to spew them on demand. The problem is people actually understanding where they come from and what they mean. Oh, and remembering there's a whole document and all those amendments there - not just the pieces they like best. ;)

Last edited:
The problem isn't people knowing the words and being able to spew them on demand. The problem is people actually understanding where they come from and what they mean.

Not just that. We also need to stop treating the Constitution like it's some kind of sacred scripture.

TED,
Directing your attention to Article 1, Section 2, Paragraph 3.

No, it would be a completely pointless exercise. Memorizing and reciting the constitution would not prove that the politician in question understood it, or agreed with a particular interpretation of it, or even believed in it.

Not just that. We also need to stop treating the Constitution like it's some kind of sacred scripture.

Agreed. It's the framework, not the finished product.

And one more thing to remember is it has to be read so it all works together in the real world. It's not a collection of individual words to be worshipped, its only purpose is to set up a functional system of governance. It leaves plenty of room for disagreement and policy choices, it was in fact specifically designed that way.

Back
Top Bottom