• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should political views be pushed on customers with your company?

Wil this affect thier company?

• It will not affect the company.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It will help the company.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It will hurt the company.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No one will read it anyway.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fyrefighter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
When I saw my internet service providers home page with the following lead article and banner I wondered how badly this would hurt thier company or if it would. What do you think?

http://www.coxinternet.com/

COX Internet page
6 American Troops Killed in the last 24 hrs. .... Wilkerson Points Finger at Cheney on Torture .. Anti-Bush Protests Mark Reelection ...... ...... Experts Say America Is Losing War on Terror .....
The Bush Administration took a flawed set of intelligence reports and converted it into a rationale for going to war,
2068 U.S. military personnel have been killed, and over 15,568+ Troops Wounded since the war began in March 2003.

U.S. MILITARY PERSONNEL DEATH TOLL IN IRAQ

2004: ... JAN. 38.. FEB. 19.. MAR. 48.. APR. 136.. MAY 81 .. June 42.. July 54.. Aug. 66.. Sep. 81.. Oct. 65.. Nov.137.. Dec.72 ..
2005: ...JAN. 107.. FEB. 58.. MAR. 36.. APR. 51.. MAY. 80.. June 78.. July 54.. Aug. 85.. Sept. 49.. Oct.. 96.. Nov. 39 ..
This is another war we can not win such as Korea (Americans Killed 54,249, Wounded 103,287)
and Vietnam (Americans Killed 58,219, Wounded 153,356.).

The war on Iraq has made moral cowards of us all. More than 100,000 Iraqis civilians
most of them women and children have died and where is our shame and rage?

Last edited:
More than anything, the tone affects it, not necessarily the content.

From a business point of view, it seems...odd...that this company would take a political stand on an issue that didn't directly affect them. It's one thing for Microsoft to be against anti-trust legislation, or for Phillip Morris to be against tobacco laws. It just seems weird for an internet company to openly be anti-Bush and anti-war; all that will do is anger potential customers who disagree with you, without bringing any new customers. If I was on the board of directors for that ISP, I'd fire whoever put that banner up. It's a terrible economic move, to use your business as a personal soapbox.

The business owners I know try to avoid talking politics with customers, even if the customer shares their views.

Pacridge said:
I certainly agree with that.

Well, between politics and religion, I guess the only question remains is this... which one will get people upset, the quickest?

also, I looked at the linked area on the ad... it came from an article in the Guardian UK. Dunno how much heed I would pay to it, as I don't look to British publications for American news :) but yeah, an internet provider putting something like that up, is only cutting off his own nose. I hope they have dough left for plastic surgery!

Last edited:
Junkie, I think only the part of the article that says we are cowards is from the UK. The rest is homegrown

Well despite what pundits say about the last presidential election (it wasn't a landslide victory); You'd end up alientating either 48% or 52% of your customers. That's a pretty big loss either way.

Saboteur said:
Well despite what pundits say about the last presidential election (it wasn't a landslide victory); You'd end up alientating either 48% or 52% of your customers. That's a pretty big loss either way.

So if you want to maximize profit, don't share your political views and don't talk politics to any of your customers.

Back
Top Bottom