• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Police Training Be Standardized Across the Nation?

Should police training be standardized across the nation?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Moot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As it stands, the kind of training that police get can vary widely from state to state and even from county to county and municipality. Would it be a good idea if all police departments conformed to the same standards of training and if so, why...if not, why not...or if other, please explain.

As it stands, the kind of training that police get can vary widely from state to state and even from county to county and municipality. Would it be a good idea if all police departments conformed to the same standards of training and if so, why...if not, why not...or if other, please explain.

It is my opinion that the militarization of our Police Forces contributes more to the problem than the cure. A National Police Force is a Police State. No, indeedy, no thank you,.

It is my opinion that the militarization of our Police Forces contributes more to the problem than the cure. A National Police Force is a Police State. No, indeedy, no thank you,.

Standardized training doesn't mean that congress or the president has the authority to call them to war. It just means that police forces are adequately trained to protect the public safety as well as their own rather than using fear, violent force and military tactics for traffic and other misdemeanor offenses.

I think standardizing police protocol and training might help give the public some idea of what to expect from one police jurisdiction to another...and to know if they're getting equal protection under the law....and maybe even help improve their trust in the police if they think they're being treated equally.

Standardized training doesn't mean that congress or the president has the authority to call them to war. It just means that police forces are adequately trained to protect the public safety as well as their own rather than using fear, violent force and military tactics for traffic and other misdemeanor offenses.

I think standardizing police protocol and training might help give the public some idea of what to expect from one police jurisdiction to another...and to know if they're getting equal protection under the law....and maybe even help improve their trust in the police if they think they're being treated equally.

All the weapons and junk the police have reveived from the Feds have come with FBI schools and training to handle everything like a war zone. Police are high paid babysitters maintaining domestic order, not combat troops in war zones. I reallze that some cities/areas may be an exception. I think any Community with a good responsible Police Force enjoys a genuine blessing. "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you." No, thank you.

America is too big and diverse to have a universal training regimen for one of the hardest and most critical jobs in the country.

don't see the harm of it

believe they should call it "common core"

I don't want any hint of nationalization of police.
So no, not ever never anytime within the next 100ish years, no.

I'm in support of a standardized minimum/core of training; beyond that local police should be free to develop their officers however they choose (within reason, obviously), as they probably have superior insight into what works best relative to their specific regional demographics, geography, and other particulars.

I don’t see how you’re making the leap from standardised training to militarisation of the police or a national police force. It could be that improved standard policies and procedures actually reduces the perceived and actual militarisation as police get better skills and tools to resolve situations before the escalate to that point.

Also, if a nationalised police force is a police state, wouldn’t that be declaring pretty much every nation in the world a police state? Isn’t the FBI effectively a national police force already? And why wouldn’t State-wide police forces render those States police states on the same principle?

Good post Moot.

There should be standardized training for the following: (in my opinion only)

1. Standardize training procedures for the police while interacting with concealed carry drivers during routine type traffic stops.

2. Require all police departments to train their assigned officers on the laws regarding open and concealed carry within their states.

3. Require all police departments to train their assigned officers with a de-escalation procedures when faced with non life threatening scenarios. Too many cops have been caught bull rushing non violent offenders, instead of talking down the situation. There are some great cops out there that are already very adept at this, while some are just total dickheads

4. No choke holds unless the cop is in a life threatening situation, and no knees to the neck.

5. The robot bombing in Dallas made me laugh my azz off, but I can see where it could be abused by some overzealous senior officers, as others have already discussed on DP. It poses some serious questions.

6. National discussion of the return of the beat cop in the more densely populated cities where they can establish rapport with the locals. Too many cities have police with no understanding of the neighborhoods that they are called into. This would go a long way towards understanding the people that the cops are there to serve.

7. No confiscation of a citizens private property before a trial, or at least appearing before a judge.

8. Standardized training and recognition of what is actually excessive force and what is not. (speculative...I know)

9. No forgiveness policy on racial, ethnic, or religious denigration by any officer. 1 strike....your out!

10. National standardized natural disaster procedural training from the Fed's all the way down to the street cop. (communication & logistics)

I could keep on going....but?

I think they should train all cops to do two give two things....kisses and huggies.

'Stop or I will be legally affectionate to you'

Most men - if the cop was a man - would be so horrified at the prospect that they would immediately cease whatever they were doing.

States have standards now and they're usually taken in whole from national standards. Initial training is not inadequate now. When I look at Waco, Ruby Ridge, Elian Gonzalez, and the DOJ arming the drug cartels in Mexico, national standards for policing aren't my goal. I do have to admit the schools have improved drastically since we got mandates on how local school districts will spend their money and a federal Department of Education.

On-going training is a problem. It takes hiring five people to add one position to patrol 24/7. When you consider time spent in court, sick leave, and training time it's not hard to increase that number to 7 or 8. That's expensive.

Routine training like firearms training and qualifications are dictated by the lawyers and are mandatory. Training that attorneys can point to for defense in lawsuits is a priority whether it adds any benefit in service or not. A lot of training is simply ridiculous. I had to attend a three-day session on sensitivity training. It was in a lovely resort in the mountains and I had a great time but on the last session of the last day we were all asked what we were taking away to use. When it was my turn I said, "A list of who it's okay to hate." The instructors were not happy but the other participants laughed and agreed. We now all knew who it was okay to hate and who it wasn't.

Oh, and training is always the first thing people look at when asked, "Oh, my, what can we do?"

Me? Better testing for applicants and attracting people who can do the job.

Last edited:

The governments answer to everything. :roll: (and yes, I know you're referring to Obama's statements)

There is a reason that the United STATES of America are separated by states, and even further separated by local city governments. Each area requires different things and has different needs and different circumstances. That is why each State has its own government and each city has its own government. What will work in one area does not mean that it will work in other areas. We are not all the same size, same build, same thought processes etc etc etc. A one size fits all policy would be worthless.

No.

Believe me, Hazard, Kentucky doesn't need riot training. NYC doesn't need to emphasize de-escalating loose cow complaints. Silly examples, but I think you get it.

A much better idea would be to train felons how to act when confronted by police . :roll:

National standardized training means that Congress and/or the President has the power to determine the level and type of training. It does not mean that police forces will be adequately trained. But you make my point. National standardized training would be all about political correctness.

So no thank you.

Meant to hit yes.

There needs to be a reevaluation of the tactics taught to our police force in dealing with the free citizens of the Republic and it does need to be nationalized. Police need to be aware and respectful of all rights and liberties of the individual, and taught how to deescalate situations when possible instead of escalating problems until lethal force is required.

We should also be investing in new R&D for less-than-lethal weapons that are accurate and reliable so we can start to replace the gun as the go-to option for police against the citizens.

Yes, because if you don't by definition some police departments will be sub-standard by choice.

Not sure since I am not in law enforcement, but it seems that in some areas the cops have a "we/they" perception of the world. If you are not a cop, you are a perp.
Of the few cops I have known over the years, I have seen it enough that it is disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom