• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should people...

Should people... (read below)

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

Viking11

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Should people who have a family member who's dying in another country and are too poor to afford a plane ticket there have their plane ticket paid by the government?

Should people who have a family member who's dying in another country and are too poor to afford a plane ticket there have their plane ticket paid by the government?

No, that is not a legitimate role of government. Sorry, it would suck to be in such a situation, but that is simply not something the government should be concerned with. This situation falls under the large umbrella of "life isn't fair."

If you are in that situation, take to the web. I'm sure there are plenty of social media sites that would carry your plea for funds. Give people a chance to give voluntarily before you start with the suggestion to just take it from them.

My grandmother died in Cancun.......again.

Yeah why shouldn't the tax payers have to foot the bill for more craziness. I have a better idea. Why don't we just have the government give everyone all the money they want so no one will be unhappy ever again.

No but it should be paid for by somebody; churches, charitable foundations, philanthropists.

As someone who once worked for a church, I've found two problems that can affect generosity:

1. Con-artists who try to exploit caring people where there really isn't a legitimate need. The people I encountered seeking help out-numbered those with real needs. Just filtering out the con-artists is can be a full-time job, literally, and their salary can take away from funds needed to help the poor.

2. Charitable organizations that attach conditions to the help. For example, the church I worked for required attendance at church services (I think it was two per week) as a condition of getting assistance. Although I think going to church and being taught the Bible can be life-changing, I think mandating church can sometimes not be the best idea as a condition of one's children having food, especially if the person in need has transportation problems. The church did not always offer transportation to and from church. This meant, the family in need would have to find some member of the church willing to bring them to and from church and often there were moms with kids in the family and limited car space. I think that can take away the heart-felt gratitude of the recipient. I heard from a reliable source, free college tuition is offered to young people in South Africa. The condition: the young person must convert to Islam. I think there's something pure about just helping people in need, no strings attached. ...and I feel like a hypocrite because I support giving families living in public housing Christmas bonuses if no one in the family was charged with a crime that year and the kids made good grades. Special bonuses if a welfare mom gets married. :)

and a 3rd. Limited resources.

No, that's stupid. It isn't the job of the taxpayer to pay for someone's travel plans.

Yeah why shouldn't the tax payers have to foot the bill for more craziness. I have a better idea. Why don't we just have the government give everyone all the money they want so no one will be unhappy ever again.

So that no one will ever be poor again.

There no link between money and happiness.

My grandmother died in Cancun.......again.

I have many many relatives in Hawaii.
It sucks not being able to be there with a loved one, but life does suck sometimes.
The question should be, do you have friends? If they are good friends, and most importantly, if you are a good friend, they will help you out.

I'm not sure how we can task the government with such a duty, but I support a sort of social network supported by the government for such exigencies. I really can't sit here and deliver a flat out no.

No, no, hell no and no. What the ****? That isn't government's (AKA the taxpayers) responsibility.

Facetime it.

That would suck, but that is not something the government should handle (as a normative matter, I'm sure there's some exception out there).

Back
Top Bottom